Proventricular dilatation disease (PDD) bornavirus

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Stitch and Angel: Caiques
hey guys,

So a bird from the rescue we are volunteering at just had a bird pass from Proventricular dilatation disease (PDD) bornavirus. This bird happened to be caged no more then 5 ft away from the bird my fiancé and I were looking to adopt. Now we are unsure if we should still try to take her since we do plan on having more then one bird over time and we know its contagious but hard to detect, from what we have researched anyways.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Bittersweet question requiring contemplation and sage veterinary/epidemiology advice. I'm not well versed with PDD but would leave no stone unturned iso resolution. Good luck, please share abbreviated findings and decision!

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
I would get the bird tested anyways, I got a bird a week ago and had a scare of borna virus turned out to be something else. If they look at the birdies stomach and find it dilated it is a warning sign that it could be borna virus. The dilation is a big sign from what my vet said. Take the bird for a check up because if it is borna virus life changes completely. I have researched it when I thought my birdie had it and turned out he had somehting that mimicked the symptoms. I asked the vet if all birds would have borna virus if one bird did and he said not always. From my understand it’s spread though feces and would be if the birds were able to be together flying or in same cage. Goodluck! I would still check for borna virus because if it is that, I would avoid. My vet bill was so high when they thought it was that. It’s a killer financially I spent more on vet bills than my Amazon in the first week.

Most Reactions

Latest posts