Purchasing frozen food online

Marco/Petra

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
Marco Polo(yellow napped Amazon) Petra (eclectus)
Hi all! Iā€™m curious if anyone has a good resource for buying bags of frozen food online? We donā€™t have the time to make fresh food (veggies, fruits, etc) for them right now and donā€™t want them to give them only pellets instead. It seems like I canā€™t find anything online.
We have a yellow napped Amazon and an eclectus both mid 20ā€™s.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
.....why?... pellets are usually better for them and where do you live you can't get fresh veggies? Also what do you mean by frozen food? Pellets? veggies? chop? I'm not sure what you are posting about.

OP
M

Marco/Petra

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
Marco Polo(yellow napped Amazon) Petra (eclectus)
.....why?... pellets are usually better for them and where do you live you can't get fresh veggies? Also what do you mean by frozen food? Pellets? veggies? chop? I'm not sure what you are posting about.
Iā€™m looking for packaged food (veggies etc) thatā€™s pre-made & all blended because I donā€™t have time to make them fresh food.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We buy locally from the frozen food section of the Grocery Stores in our area.

You will have problems from time-to-time receiving in a timely manner any Frozen Products as a result of Transportation issues and medical demands has placed pressure on the availability of 'dry ice'!!

Pellets are only a part of a Healthy Diet. Good for you in providing a wide and Healthy diet.

NOTE: Eclectus have a highly specialized diet requirements and diets are problematic when pellets are anything more than a very small part of their diet.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
.....why?... pellets are usually better for them and where do you live you can't get fresh veggies?
Pellets are not a substitute for fresh food. Fresh food is a must in a bird's diet and nothing can replace it. Freeze dried or frozen veggies are better than no veggies, so they can substitute, but not replace fresh veggies.

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
I'm also interested in freeze dried chop. My fridge is full of greens that the birds won't eat, and I figure I can try different mixes to find something they'll like. Has anybody here tried any?

Dave

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
May sound weird, but remember that how it is cut can shift a reaction from love to hate to love. When we start over, we keep a Journey as it helps keep track of what your testing and the reaction you are getting. We commonly will trial different things in small packages as it keeps us from having tons of "will not touch that". items. Regarding the waste, ya that happens!

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
Pellets are not a substitute for fresh food. Fresh food is a must in a bird's diet and nothing can replace it. Freeze dried or frozen veggies are better than no veggies, so they can substitute, but not replace fresh veggies.

From what I understand, flash frozen veggies can be more nutritious than "fresh" veggies that you find sitting in the grocery section at the supermarket.

Lately, I've been buying most our birds' veggies frozen and then adding a few fresh veggies that they like to the mix. In our area, the variety of frozen veggies is very good and even includes things like kale, turnip greens, butternut squash, etc.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I just bought some frozen mixed veggies from my grocery store yesterday. I think that buying prepped frozen vegetables at a store and bringing home, or if you need having groceries delivered, is the simplest. Itā€™s not too practical to mail order frozen veggies.

I used to buy freeze dried ā€œjust veggiesā€ but I donā€™t know if those are sold any longer. My birds did like them. But I think flash frozen would be better. Some of the vitamins are lost in freeze drying.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
From what I understand, flash frozen veggies can be more nutritious than "fresh" veggies that you find sitting in the grocery section at the supermarket.

Lately, I've been buying most our birds' veggies frozen and then adding a few fresh veggies that they like to the mix. In our area, the variety of frozen veggies is very good and even includes things like kale, turnip greens, butternut squash, etc.
I think it depends. I mostly meant lower quality cheap frozen veggies that are available at any store.

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
My fridge is full of greens that the birds won't eat
My girls don't like parsley. Learned that from giving it to them as bought, even tho it was in their chop, they didn't like it as is. One girl, Missy, I raised from 5 weeks, will eat pretty much anything. The other girl, Gracie, was raised on soaked seeds by the breeder, and is very reluctant to try new things. I'm only just now trying out different veggies that aren't all chopped up to see if there is a preference. I julienne them now but am considering grating some to see if they prefer it that way. Again, touch and go with them.

Most Reactions