BeaRose

Sep 5, 2012
Media
England!
Parrots
Tess - 2 Year Old Congo African Grey!
Charlie - 1 Year Old Indian Ringneck!
Hi all!
I have a Congo Grey, she's a little over a year old now and I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on what other birds I can put in with her besides another Grey, I love Tess more than anything and I'd love to get her another little companion, but, as the only other bird me and my dad have owned was a Cockatiel who hated everybody but him, we're a little unsure on what we can put in with her and how to go about it.
If anyone could help it'd be really great.
Thanks a bunch :)

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I would not recommend putting any bird in with her. They could fight with each other, possibly kill each other. Also, even if two birds did get along, they can become more attached to each other, and want nothing more to do with you. If you want a second bird, put it in it's own cage beside the other cage. (after a quarantine period of course)

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
Ever see on tv those ultimate fighting guys in cages? It's bizarre. That's kinda' how we feel about caging large birds. We had Greybeard less than a year when wifey bought Chewbaca. Since we never lock them in a cage, they've always been able to socialize as they want, and have become companions. They preen each other sometimes, and sleep wing to wing on a perch. We keep their flight feathers trimmed.

Maybe an odd couple like this is good, as there will never be a sexual attachment between them, but companionship.

HPIM2351%20%28Small%29.jpg

Ignore the date on this pic. This is the cage they share at night in motels.

Greybeard is 400 grams and Chewy is 280, so the size difference is substantial, but not overwhelming.

PP

Henryofmagic

Sep 5, 2012
Queens,ny
Parrots
Macaw,cockatoo
I have a severe macaw and a goffin cockatoo I had the severe macaw since born and the goffin was at my fathers house since born both hand fed but I use to bring my macaw over for visit at first my macaw was scarred and attacked the other birds(my father had another severe macaw,goffin cockatoo,Quaker in the same cage) not to fight but to get away from him over time my macaw became the bully pushed all of them away once he got big around 7 months then my father gave me the goffin cockatoo,Quaker,and he got rid of the severe macaw and I got rid of the quaker ,well now my macaw 1 year is in the same cage as my fathers cockatoo 4 years and there best friends both love to be out the cage,the macaw taught the cockatoo how to eat pellets,veggies,fruits,and the cockatoo taught the macaw how to brake toys lol I seen them feading each other ,they shower with each other and they sleep side by side I sworn I even herd them talking once but maybe I was just loosing it ,but the point is find a friend who has a parrot and get them use to seeing other parrots there not going to know there are other parrots if they never seen one, once that happens then find a bird that's the same age as the other bird if my macaw is 1 year old find a bird around 1-2 years old you don't want a 6 year old parrot hanging out with a 1 year old because he's young .you hang out with your crowd not younger or older get me? 3rd if there is a problem btw the 2 I like to put them in different cages but side by side so they see each other but can't get to each other (I had doves who would attack other doves pull feathers out poke them so on I put them side by side they talked got to know each other settle there problems(so I think ) a week or two later I put them in the same cage never had a fight , now my macaw and cockatoo do fight every now and then but never bleeding or feathers missing they just need there own space a good size cage and same perches should settle
Everything another thing I tell friends wen bringing any new bird into a cage with another bird take all sticks,toys foodbows out clean them move them around and put them back then put the birds in so there is no this is my spot or this is mines,I do this normally anyways so the bird doesn't get to use to everything but then again my macaw was raised like that some birds like old better then new,

Hopefully i didn't bore you and you learned something new and hopefully its usefull

Enjoy Henry

wildwest

Feb 1, 2012
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Senegal
Green Parakeet
Hi all!
I have a Congo Grey, she's a little over a year old now and I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on what other birds I can put in with her besides another Grey, I love Tess more than anything and I'd love to get her another little companion, but, as the only other bird me and my dad have owned was a Cockatiel who hated everybody but him, we're a little unsure on what we can put in with her and how to go about it.
If anyone could help it'd be really great.
Thanks a bunch :)

bad idea.

yes there are exceptions to the rule of course but you will be asking for trouble. birds are territorial and adding a companion probably wont go over very well.

you need to be the companion.

i have a CAG, Senegal and Budgie they each have their own cage.

Last edited:

Rhisynyster

Oct 9, 2012
I have a similar quiery, I have a beautiful female alexandrine parrakeet, she's about 2 years old, she has a lovely nature however when it comes to strangers she can be quiet nasty. I can pretty much do anything to her without worry eg holding, patting, snuggles and I'm the only one that can take her out of the cage. My mother and sister can't but when we take her inside she's fine with them patting her and stuff.

I also have a female Indian ringneck which we got off someone who couldn't keep it Anymore. She's about the same age, and is quiet aggressive And noisy. I've tried to bond them outside their cages but they end up fighting.

I'm thinking off getting my alaxandrine a mate or companion,most likely another alexandrine, but I'm unsure whether she'll get on with another bird. Any thoughts? :green2:

Most Reactions