Quaker Parrot help

Nala

Jun 20, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
I'm really worried about my quaker she flew in to her bowl and now has trouble sleeping. I took her to the vet and they checked her out and said everything was good. Her poop sample was good too. I'm afraid to do a blood test because they give them a little bit of sleep and plus it's a lot of money. I'm hoping the vet can set something else up so I can have her sleeping again poor girl is sleep deprived. She goes in and out of sleep. Has anyone ever had this problem with depressed birds? I been trying to get her to be active again. Should I do xrays instead? Thanks.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What do you mean by ā€œshe flew into her bowl?ā€ Did your bird hit something while flying? Whatā€™s going on?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah, more description of the accident(?) would help a lot.

OP
N

Nala

Jun 20, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
I'm going to be taking her in for a blood test tomorrow. I don't want to because i'm scared what they are going to find but I will if she has a chance in living. I never done a blood test on a bird before. I just feel like she should get one. she has been very tired lately.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If your bird has been very quiet or depressed lately, thatā€™s concerning. She does need to be checked out and Iā€™m glad you are going to take her.

You need to ask the vet if they see birds or specialize in birds or exotics. Some vets only see dogs and cats.

I really hope that your birdie is ok and the vet is able to help her brighten up.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nala

Jun 20, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
She is having problems sleeping I think she has neurological disorder. Every time she tries to fall asleep she can't. Her eyes move when she closes them and then she wakes up. I don't know what to do.

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
tacocaT the Eclectus hatched 9/16/22
She is having problems sleeping I think she has neurological disorder. Every time she tries to fall asleep she can't. Her eyes move when she closes them and then she wakes up. I don't know what to do.
Get a video of her behavior so your vet can see what sheā€™s doing. Your descriptions arenā€™t very clear, so try to take pictures or videos so the vet has a very good idea of whatā€™s going on.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its hard to know what came first? Was there an issue that caused her fall/fly into bowl? Or did the accident cause trauma or lead to aspirations pneumonia ?

How old is your burd? How long have you had?

Itself definitely a health issue and not something ( like human depression) balance issues or weakness can cause issues when closing eyes. Neurological can be trauma/nutritional/viral/bacterial/ or fungal. So its definitely something you need a veterinarian help with.

I wish you the best of luck, hopefully vet figure out. Its so scary to have anything going on with our babies.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Have you taken your bird in to the vet? I think she may be quite sick.

OP
N

Nala

Jun 20, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Yes I took her to the vet and the blood test came back saying she has an infection. but I noticed her acting funny after she had her flying accident. I want to attach a video here but it keeps saying it's too big It is 15sec short. I'm just really worried she is 14/15 and never had any problems :(.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh your poor sweet baby.
Supporting warmth is very beneficial ! No matter how warm your home is. Sweeter heater as found on Amazon the smallest one is more than enough its expensive about 116 bucks but well worth it. Or the K&H cage warmer its less expensive. Sick birds do best kept near 90f. It saves them tons of calories and promotes healing.

Also feeding baby burd formula by syringe a little at beak tip at time can be very supportive. They need extra calories and formula is easy to digest. Adult burds crops don't stretch like babies so they take less at time. My quakers who were so sick a few years back took to it readily. Adults like it thicker like yogurt thick, and still served very warm think 90-100f but exact isn't as important as long as feels warm not hot. I used a 1ml syringe and put a quarter ml st time in beak after first taste they would open beak and take on their own. I did not hold their head but kind have a hand resting lightly on their back. Fir first time getting them to take 1-2 ml is fine and you can try again in couple of hours. When they get the hang of it mine would take 4-7ml at time but giving slowly adjustments to them. If she still eats, then doing this supplement feed once or twice a day will be very supportive. Morning and evening. If nit eating then 4 times a day fir a daily total 20-40ml. But dint force encourage and allow them to decide each time how much they want.

If you want I can do a terrible one person video clip of me doing one of mine. As I still offer occasionally incase they ever need thus again.

What antibiotics dud they give you?

I pray yours recovers

OP
N

Nala

Jun 20, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
she is taking baytril. Her poops are not looking too good either :( very runny and some bubbly. I don't know what kind of infection she has.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Baytril almost always causes a secondary yeast infection. So talk to your doctor and explain the bubble stool and ask to have nystsin added. It a cheap safe treatment fir yeast. Vets should be well aware of the risks of yeast when on baytril .

Azithormycin is also a broad spectrum antibiotic that's works excellent in birds and only a small dose every other day s needed with only a 5 dose treatment needed. Vet can call into human pharmacy. It saved my quakers life. But some vets are less familiar with it. My avian veterinarian is a global consulting veterinarian ( to other veterinarians ) and she is working hard to educate the community. Its delicate to discuss wanting to change how your burds being treated..and I know I'm just a girl on the forum. And I'm not a vet, but I ve done a lot of work with sick birds ...there can be reasons why certain medications are chosen, by tge actual veterinarian who has seen your bird. But you can always mention that you have a friend who's bird was very very sick and Penny quaker was. And yiu found out your friend was given azithormycin and how well hers recovered. And would thst antibiotic be something that might work fir yours?

Its difficult to know what's best... and I have zero way of truly knowing what's best fir you and yours. I'm not sure what an older burd not exposed to other burds picked up, and if there is something else going in that lowered her immunity. Sometimes nasty bacteria can be on greens and veggies and fruits. Or coliform count can spike in tap water ..or other ways to get bacteria. But if they are just trying to choose a broad spectrum antibiotic ( which bsytril is) I personally really stand behind azithormycin

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, your birdie looks very tired and ill. You need to make sure sheā€™s eating and drinking and getting her medications.

When my Lucy was really down after breaking her leg, I fed her by putting pellets right into her beak. She would then chew them up and swallow them. Or you can grind up pellets and mix with a bit of warm water and feed by spoon or syringe. Oatmeal is also something birds will eat when they donā€™t feel well, if you canā€™t do something else.

You may want to carefully put a few drops of Gatorade or pedialyte in her beak. You donā€™t want her to choke. But either of those has sugar and salt which she needs.

Do you have baby bird formula, or pellets you can grind up? You can feed with a spoon or syringe. Another idea is wrapping her cage with a sheet to keep it warm, and putting a towel on the bottom if she canā€™t perch.

We will be thinking of you and your girl. I am sorry you are going through this. šŸŒˆ

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi Nala, Iā€™m wondering how your Quaker is doing. I hope sheā€™s better.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
I'm against the use of X-ray unless it's absolutely necessary. Not sure about the dose, but X-ray is capable of causing genetic mutations and epigenetic changes, may or may not contribute to cancer.

Most Reactions