Quaker Preparations

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Zulu, blue quaker parrot (5.30.13)
Hello, everyone! There is probably a better place for a first post, but I was hoping to jump right in (as it were).

I am in the beginning stages of quaker (blue) ownership and would love it if people were willing to offer their own insight into a few things I am curious about.

First, how did you decide where you were going to puchase your Quaker? I am wary of pet store birds because of all the pet store horror stories, but am finding myself painfully absent of anyone local who specializes or at least knowledgeably breeds quakers. If there are any good suggestions for breeders in my area, I would appreciate the heads up!

Cages! I said that I am in the beginning stages mostly because I am still trying to figure out exactly how much room I can spare for a cage. At the moment it's not looking to be all that much. Fitting in a free standing flight cage, for example, is probably out of the question for the time being. I believe the minimum recommendation for a single quaker is an 18"x18" and bar spacing that is 5/8". Minimum is not ideal but, provided there is ample "outside time" is it acceptable until something larger can be managed?

How much time, on average, do you all find you're able to spend with your quakers and is it enough to keep them from becoming destructive/depressed?

As I continue looking into things, I'm sure I'll have more questions. But for now, these are my biggest concerns!

Thank you in advance!

JJ

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Welcome! :) My QP Ralph came from a pet store. He actually chose me-- but if I had been set on getting a Quaker and only a Quaker, he would have been the only choice locally at the time I got him. He was well cared for and well socialized at the pet store before I brought him home.

The best advice on cages is to buy the biggest you have room for and the best quality you can afford. 18" x 18" is on the small side, even for a QP, but might suffice if your parrot wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the cage.

I always recommend that potential Quaker parronts read a good book on QPs-- like Mattie Sue Athan's Guide to the Quaker Parrot, or Pamela Leis Higdon's The Quaker Parrot: Guide to a Happy, Healthy Pet. You'll find lots of helpful information in such books.

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Thanks for the suggestions!

I have the book on my list to read. I've seen it mentioned many times here and elsewhere so I will definitely be investing in it.

My search for a local source for blue quakers has hit a snag. In as much as I've exhausted all known leads for finding anyone local (I consider local within an hour and a half drive). This includes pet stores - there are only PetSmarts around here and none seem inclined to carry quakers.

So, I guess that begs the question of how far were other people willing to travel to get their bird and, perhaps more importantly, how much were they willing to spend? I mistakenly contacted a shop about 4 hours from me that was asking $475 for a blue quaker. Is that reasonable?

JJ

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Here in the Syracuse area, I see mostly standard green Quakers for sale, usually priced from $125 to $299. It's been about a year since there were any blue QPs at a local pet store. They were priced at $300 and sold quickly. $475 seems like it might be at the higher end of the price range for blue QPs in upstate NY.

In my case, I only traveled about three miles to find Ralph-- but I know of people who have driven or flown hundreds of miles to find the right parrot. Keep looking, and try to be patient, and I'm sure you'll find your blue Quaker before long. :)

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
im new york too. im from western new york though. about 10 min from me is a breeder who doesnt specialize in quakers, but does breed them. i also have a parrot store that gets quakers from time to time. in rochester NY there is a parrot store where i bought cooper, my quaker. it is the best store i have ever been in. they are all super nice and knowledgeable about parrots. the owner who is always there and has owned parrots for like 30 or 40 years or something, even said to me that to work in the store you have to own a parrot :D hahaha is you want name s or sotresaand stuff just PM me!!

OP
JenJen

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Still been searching for a quaker and am getting somewhat closer... Mrgoogls, I may know of the store you're talking about.. :). In the meantime, I might have the opportunity to pick up an older quaker looking for a new home. S/he is a few years old. I would prefer a baby (weaned), but are there any reasons why I should avoid getting one that has had past owners? There are two that I know of.

JJ

eta: I've recently found the price for a blue quaker went up to over $500. There is one store I really like the sound of, but I am really surprised at the asking price!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts