Quaker won't eat any fruits or vegetables that I offer- Can she still get all the nutrients she needs?

kirbybirb

Jan 29, 2024
Parrots
Quaker
My 8 month old Quaker won't eat anything fruits or vegetables that I offer - I've tried cutting it up very small, eating it in front of her then offering, I've tried many different kinds of fruits and vegetables - she won't eat it. I have not yet tried dried fruits/veggies so I'm thinking of trying that. My question is if I'm feeding her Zupreem pellets + 1 nutriberry a day will she still get all the nutrients she needs or could this lead to a nutritional deficiency?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Don’t give up! 🙂 I’ve been trying to get my Quaker to eat fresh foods since I got him about a year and a half ago. We’ve slowly made progress. They really do need to eat at least some fresh foods to get the best nutrition. Focus mostly on veggies as they have more nutrition and less sugar than fruits. Leafy greens, peas, and sweet corn are often more readily accepted by picky birds. Also, try some other foods as well to help expand your bird’s palate. My bird likes chickpea pasta and quinoa. Keep offering fresh foods and eventually your bird will try them. ❤️

Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
My 8 month old Quaker won't eat anything fruits or vegetables that I offer - I've tried cutting it up very small, eating it in front of her then offering, I've tried many different kinds of fruits and vegetables - she won't eat it. I have not yet tried dried fruits/veggies so I'm thinking of trying that. My question is if I'm feeding her Zupreem pellets + 1 nutriberry a day will she still get all the nutrients she needs or could this lead to a nutritional deficiency?
I agree Jcas! Don’t give up. My conure hates any thing wet or soft. He will only eat crunchy things. When I first started making his chop I would cut everything into teeny tiny pieces and he would not eat it but slowly I learned he preferred bigger pieces he could hold with his foot. My conure also likes to see lots of color in his chop. This weekend I made him an all green chop for st Patrick’s day and he did not eat any of it! lol… to answer your question yes fruit and vegetables have great nutrients that are beneficial to your bird. There are plenty of great chop recipes on the forums that can help you.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Brocolli and cauliflour they usually go for one.

Most Reactions

Latest posts