Quaker won't step up!

cmeehan

Jul 30, 2022
Parrots
Turquoise Quaker
I have a 4 month old quaker and he seems to have a problem stepping up when he's in his cage.
He has no problem stepping up once's he's out of the cage and on his gym or other perch in the house, but he refuses to step up when he's in the cage.
At first, he would lunge at my hand and bite, but as of late, he just stands there, unsure about what to do.
We have a great relationship otherwise, and I'm looking for some advice on how to correct this!

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
That's not an uncommon problem. Some parrots resent having a hand stuck inside their cages and to them, it's an intrusion into their safe space. I usually suggest putting a hanging perch on the outside of the cage, just below the door.. When you want the parrot to come out, open the door and say something like "come on out". Most of the time, the parrot will step out onto the hanging perch and will step up willingly from there. It may take a while for the parrot to accept the hanging perch and get the idea of going out to stand on it, but it usually works eventually.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My Quaker bites the hand held perch but will step up onto my hand covered by a towel. Somehow not SEEING my hand in his cage makes it ok.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I just have all of mine step up to a perch attached on the outside of the cage then to me. Solves the problem and no drama.

Mine are very lovey, but will often try and bite any hand stuck in their cage. So I just have term come out first and nobody's feelings get hurt

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I just have all of mine step up to a perch attached on the outside of the cage then to me. Solves the problem and no drama.

Mine are very lovey, but will often try and bite any hand stuck in their cage. So I just have term come out first and nobody's feelings get hurt
And I tried this method and my Quaker just looked at me like “what do YOU want?” until I offered him my hand covered by a towel inside his cage. But that’s how he learned to step up when he came here from his old home almost two years ago.

If I offered a stick perch inside his cage he will usually push it away or bite it.

Treats for stepping up and tell your bird he’s a “good bird!” as soon as he steps up so he knows he’s doing what you want him to.

I am sure they like to please us. My bird learned to yawn repeatedly because I’d laugh when he did that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts