Quarantine Advice

BinxyBoop

Jul 26, 2022
Parrots
2 cockatiels (Bon Bon and Dennis, 4 Budgies (Trix, Keanu, Charlie, Opal)
This morning our four budgies were flying about and playing as usual. Out of nowhere, my daughter tells me that Charlie has thrown up. This immediately sets me into panic/anxiety mode. I immediately have my daughter and husband help me gather the other three birds into their cage. I was watching Charlie closely and to my horror Charlie's whole tiny body shook and he expelled clear fluid. He has no other symptoms at all, he is a happy chirping little guy otherwise. I immediately called the avian vet because I'm not sure if it was vomit or regurgitation and I don't want to guess. The soonest appointment we could get is Monday morning. We currently have Charlie in a separate cage with food, water, a couple of new toys and perches and fresh white paper lining the bottom of the cage to make sure we can monitor his droppings clearly. My question is this: Charlie shared a large flight cage with three other Budgies. If he is sick I worry that they are too. Should I separate the other three in their own cages for monitoring? Should I begin any other precautions to protect them? This is new territory for me and I am so worried. What is the best thing I can do to safeguard them until I can be sure Charlie gets a clean bill of health? Monday feels like world's away at this point. I just want to do whatever I can for all of them. Any advice will be taken to heart and deeply appreciated.

Update: Charlie is a healthy happy bird per the vets assessment and I can now sleep soundly without any worry of losing my little green family member. ❤

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think since they were living together before Charlie vomited (potentially) if he has something infectious theyve all been exposed.

I would only separate him if he were acting sick or depressed, so you could keep him warmer and fed. (Oops—now I understand your question—no, you can leave the other budgies together if they’re feeling well. Only separate out if acting sick.).

I didn’t see what happened so I couldn’t guess. I’m hoping it will end up being some weird thing that only happens once and Charlie will now be fine.

Good luck to you and your little pals 🙂

Last edited:
OP
B

BinxyBoop

Jul 26, 2022
Parrots
2 cockatiels (Bon Bon and Dennis, 4 Budgies (Trix, Keanu, Charlie, Opal)
I think since they were living together before Charlie vomited (potentially) if he has something infectious theyve all been exposed.

I would only separate him if he were acting sick or depressed, so you could keep him warmer and fed. (Oops—now I understand your question—no, you can leave the other budgies together if they’re feeling well. Only separate out if acting sick.).

I didn’t see what happened so I couldn’t guess. I’m hoping it will end up being some weird thing that only happens once and Charlie will now be fine.

Good luck to you and your little pals 🙂
Thank you for your suggestion. After a solid 24 hours of monitoring his droppings I'm confident they are normal so I put him back with his other bird friends thanks to your comment. He continues to act normal and happy, no issues eating or drinking. Hopefully tomorrow morning the vet sends us home with only good news.

Most Reactions

Latest posts