Question about a rescue

KO92

Feb 7, 2017
Cincinnati ohio
Parrots
Military Macaw
Does anyone know anything about the wings over a rainbow in dayton ohio ? I emailed and will try calling to see if the are still open .

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Sorry, I have never heard of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Looks like they were seized in 2012! Quite a bit of controversy and news!
She still has an active Facebook site.

"July 5, 2012 ·
Wings Over The Rainbow
Wings Over The Rainbow has received a great injustice.
This letter is our side of the story that has yet to be told in the media,in full. Tomorrow a woman will lose her own property two large parrots. She will lose the rescue birds, three semi-permanent resident birds that are the property of another lady, and one bird that was in the process of being adopted. All because she cannot pay a $35,000 bond to the Humane Society of Greater Dayton. She has already lost her store front, her options for income,her rescue and yet must pay $35,000 or the birds will be property of the Humane Society of Greater Dayton. She has been charged but has not yet been to trial. She is not been given the opportunity to be proven innocent until proven guilty in a court of law with a jury of her peers.
I am talking about Deborah Shell and the 130 birds she had rescued from abuse.
Deb Shell was offered a plea bargain that went like this, Only 5 counts of animal abuse. Rather then the original 15 charges of animal cruelty and 15 counts of animal torture. Deb would be put on parole for 5 years. Deb would have to attend counseling as an animal hoarder. Deb would give up the current rescue birds. Deb would never be allowed to work with or own another bird. She declined.
There is a great need for rescues like WOTR. People who know
parrots. Know how to care for them. The Humane Society is not knowledgable or equipped to handle these needs. Deb Shell, of Wings Over the Rainbow was. This is not only a matter of a parrot rescue. Deb Shell also did community shows in her local area. For example the Krohn Conservatory Butterfly Show in Cincinnati Oh.
Going to local schools to teach children how to care for a parrot. How much work parrots are,and you cannot jump into the responsibilities so eagerly. Most of all, many Adoptable Birds at Wings events. She is a responsible and knowledgeable source for parrots and parrot owners, now and in the future.
Now Deb Shell faces losing everything she has worked so hard to achieve and build, in a matter of one day, July 5th by 4 pm. If Dayton Ohio Humane Society is allowed to prevail in this case, there will be no innocent until proven guilty. Deb Shells property can be signed away by the court BEFORE the trial has been taken
place. Is it fair to ask someone to pay $35,000 bond in order to keep an organization from legally stealing their property (By law pets are property in the state of Ohio) PRIOR to a criminal trial?
We of Wings Over The Rainbow are asking for help. We need voices to help stop this madness. To allow Deb Shell her trial. Allow Deb Shell justice. To allow the birds that were relinquished to Deb Shell justice. To set them free from Dayton Ohio’s Humane Society. Please help be part of our voices too. We need you. We need you now!! Ohio does not need to lose the right to own pets as property. Once you take one person constitutional rights away, you take everyones!
We of Wings Over The Rainbow ask you to call Kettering Municipal Courthouse ***** Judge Hanna’s office and ask for Deb Shell to get her day in court to allow her to have her evidence available to her! To stop Dayton Ohio’s Humane Society from adopting out, auctioning them off, or worse, euthanizing those beautiful souls!
Respectively ,
Kimberly Pickner
Portland, Oregon
Wings Over The Rainbow Supporter'

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The sad reality is that Avian Rescues /Rehomers have to be able to say 'NO' and limit themselves to only the number of Parrots that they can handle with the resources and support staff that they have on-hand.

When that ever-difficult number to define is past, the organization becomes trapped in a downward spin and at some point a well-meaning individual is faced with the reality of more Parrots that can be properly supported and fed. And, what started-out as a well run organization becomes the center of the legal system and media attention.

At this point, if you are going to use a rescue /rehomer, you must commit to an on-site inspection. The center should not have more Parrots than that organization can well care for and find new homes.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
The above is so true, and is true of everyone who keeps animals or humans who depend on them.

OP
K

KO92

Feb 7, 2017
Cincinnati ohio
Parrots
Military Macaw
Wow that's horrible and the video of them taking the birds heartbreaking. Some were in such bad shape .

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
This is becoming too common. Does everyone remember Daniel Kopulos, the guy that owned the successful pet shop in Manhattan that was arrested last October, after police raided his home in New Jersey where he was breeding birds and reptiles to sell in his store? This one was absolutely horrifying, his entire house and the barn/workshop behind his house were both filled to capacity with dead, rotting bird, snake, and lizard carcuses. They had to wear hazmat suits and gas masks to go into his house, where he was staying every day! He had breeders in cages everywhere, cages that hadn't been cleaned in years. He never fed them or gave them water, I can't believe that any of them were alive. He just kept breeding and breeding and it got out of control. The reason this one was so shocking is because this guy was an animal activist, traveling all over the world helping third world countries with animal medical care...He was a vet tech!

http://www.thewestonforum.com/69245/slideshow-house-of-horrors/

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Yes I remember that story. And a very vivid picture of decaying birds on end tables next to soda cups.

I literally have nightmares where I let that happen! People get upset when I won't take in (well usually they actually want me to BUY) their birds, especially budgies. In the last 3 years I have fostered and rehomed over 30 budgies and I finally had to stop and only take in life and death situations because I couldn't find homes for them fast enough, aside from the other foster situations. Each rescuer has to know their limits and priorities. My house is at a much higher capacity than I would like because my sister and her 4 GCCs, 2 lovebirds, and 4 cockatiels are here as well as 3 long term fosters. For a while over the holidays I was emergency fostering 4 cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, 3 budgies and a GCC. All that on top of my own substantial flock. It was too much and I said so. I had to get extremely firm with some people over the situation. I also had to refuse to foster the 4 lovebirds and 4 conures that belong to the lady whose 2 cockatiels I'm fostering; I was only able to take the birds that she had from me.

It breaks my heart every time I have to turn someone away. It enrages me that's of these people bought a parrot when they moved here (Hawaii) and now "are moving and can't take the bird." Balogna. Taking birds back to the mainland is easier than taking human children, and somehow those never get left here. But as hard as it is, I CANNOT let myself get into a hole. Yes we are "over full" at the moment, but we have 3 people sharing the load of work to be sure everyone gets the care they need, and we know it is temporary. These situations give me nightmares.

OP
K

KO92

Feb 7, 2017
Cincinnati ohio
Parrots
Military Macaw
Most of the rescues near me are closed . The ones open you have to be in a 120 mile radius and im not in that i have checked

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
That can be the frustration in trying to adopt from a rescue. In an effort to protect the birds some of the criteria they set can weed out potential good homes as well.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Yes I remember that story. And a very vivid picture of decaying birds on end tables next to soda cups.

I literally have nightmares where I let that happen! People get upset when I won't take in (well usually they actually want me to BUY) their birds, especially budgies. In the last 3 years I have fostered and rehomed over 30 budgies and I finally had to stop and only take in life and death situations because I couldn't find homes for them fast enough, aside from the other foster situations. Each rescuer has to know their limits and priorities. My house is at a much higher capacity than I would like because my sister and her 4 GCCs, 2 lovebirds, and 4 cockatiels are here as well as 3 long term fosters. For a while over the holidays I was emergency fostering 4 cockatiels, 2 lovebirds, 3 budgies and a GCC. All that on top of my own substantial flock. It was too much and I said so. I had to get extremely firm with some people over the situation. I also had to refuse to foster the 4 lovebirds and 4 conures that belong to the lady whose 2 cockatiels I'm fostering; I was only able to take the birds that she had from me.

It breaks my heart every time I have to turn someone away. It enrages me that's of these people bought a parrot when they moved here (Hawaii) and now "are moving and can't take the bird." Balogna. Taking birds back to the mainland is easier than taking human children, and somehow those never get left here. But as hard as it is, I CANNOT let myself get into a hole. Yes we are "over full" at the moment, but we have 3 people sharing the load of work to be sure everyone gets the care they need, and we know it is temporary. These situations give me nightmares.

I completely understand, you can only do what you can do, and honestly if you take in fosters and put yourself over capacity, eventually the birds end up suffering because you can't give them the attention they need, and eventually, when it gets really out of control, even the best of intentions turn out very badly.

Usually the cases that end up like this woman in Ohio or this guy in NYC involve mental illness. I hear all kinds of jokes and smart remarks about "Hoarding", like people don't take it seriously. What some people don't realize is that this is a compulsion, an addiction. Getting one more animal brings them a feeling of satisfaction, and then another, and then another. They cross a line from wanting to help animals in need to satisfying a compulsive need within themselves. That's the point where the animals start to suffer. And if they are really good at hiding it, like this guy in New York, it can go on for years and years, until all of the animals are breeding out of control, are sick, are dying, they can't afford to feed them all, they have no time to clean them, etc. They need psychological help and usually they don't get it because nobody knows. This woman in Ohio used the disguise of a legitimate bird rescue as a front for her compulsion... Unfortunately it seems that she also had a prescription drug addiction, and she used most of the rescues donation money to support her habit.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Because of the emotional way animals effect us I think a lot of us could be at risk for slipping into an unhealthy situation. Here are some great questions for fosterers and rescuers to ask themselves:

1) am I mentally, physically, emotionally, and financially able to care for these animals AND MYSELF at the same time, and am I doing that?

2) are the animals living in adequate space and cleanliness? Even if I am keeping things clean, am I making sure the area isn't overcrowded?

3) am I actually moving birds (and all the other random pets) on to suitable homes and not allowing fosters to stay indefinitely? Can I give them up without trying to justify keeping "just one more"?

4) Regardless of how I perceive my home, how do other bird lovers perceive the level of care I provide? Are they concerned?

5) what will happen to my animals short term if I am incapacitated temporarily by illness or injury? Do I have a system in place to prevent their suffering if I personally cannot be the main caretaker for a day? Week? Month?

6) am I able to say no when someone asks me to take on an animal that I do not have time, space, money, or emotional energy to care for?

7) am I able to afford the appropriate vet care, nutrition, and other expenses involved in this venture, even if my car breaks down this week?

Most Reactions

Latest posts