Question about bird safe ropes from big box stores

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yup, I would use that one. :) AND, once you are done making it, wet it. Manila will shrink a bit after it has been wet, this way you can be assured all the knots are nice and tight. ;)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
And it'll be okay if I go and buy it at lowes?

Of course. :) Just make sure it hasn't been "oiled". It will say it on there if it's been treated. AND, you may smell a bit of petroleum if it's packed tight. Just air it out for a while, and the smell goes away. It's the material's natural scent, it doesn't mean they rubbed petroleum on it. :)

OP
A

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Ok back from Loews and the untreated sisal rope is still made by the same company but is now under a private label I think it is now called black hawk. But it is still the same co that Jersey Wendy mentioned ,so I bought rope and some untreated pine 3 by 2 to make some toys. Thank you all for your help:D

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
Thanks to Jersey Wendy for providing the link above to the manila rope. I've been looking everywhere. I just ordered 200 feet of it. They must have received a bunch of questions because they specifically put in the description that it is not oiled.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Great links and info Wendy! I've been wanting to try to make a climbing net!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So I wonder if it isn't even really Manila?

Oh it's Manila. Like I said, I've been using the same rope for many years. The smell alone is a dead giveaway. I LOVE using it because it's natural, easy to use, can be used for SO many applications, it's inexpensive and bird safe. :)

Most Reactions