Question about bird safe ropes from big box stores

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Yesterday I went to home depot to check on ropes to make toys for my fids. The sisal rope had been rubbed with some sort of creasote ,forget that one. They had a manilla rope maybe called hemp that did not have any smell. Is that bird safe? Then they had polypropeline ropes. Is that safe for birds? Then closeline rope and a few other types. :eek: Help what is safe that you do not have to order online.:)

OP
A

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I will try that . we do have a Lowes in Venice Fla . Guess I will be paying them a visit. Thanks Jersey Wendy.:)

blackhawk007

Jan 23, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
Teka~Red Lored Amazon 20 years old,. . Ruthie ~ 16 year old Ruby Macaw, . .
Is there a preference of sisal vs manila rope?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Hemp is basically marijuana plants without the THC. Manila hemp is not really hemp, but comes from the abacá, a type of banana plant. Sisal comes from the agave plant, known for tequila, but China supplies some 40,000 tons, with other supplies coming from Africa, Mexico, Central & South America. Because it is not a food grade product, there are no guarantees as to what you are buying.

Like leather for bird toys, you might be wiser to source your materials from vendors advertising their products to be bird safe.....

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Sisal can have the same preservatives used on dead bodies! I bought one sisal rope from both lowes and Home Depot but neither rope brand had a web site or even a number I could use to find out if it had the preservative(it starts with a F), I even spent an hour watching a employee search the web with no results before going home and searching myself. Because I couldn't be 100% sure I didn't use the two ropes I bought. I won't risk it.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I've been using the exact same sisal for 14 years. My birds LOVE it, all of them, no exception. Never had a problem with it. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Sisal can have the same preservatives used on dead bodies! I bought one sisal rope from both lowes and Home Depot but neither rope brand had a web site or even a number I could use to find out if it had the preservative(it starts with a F), I even spent an hour watching a employee search the web with no results before going home and searching myself. Because I couldn't be 100% sure I didn't use the two ropes I bought. I won't risk it.

Are you referring to FORMALDEHYDE?

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
20 year old Congo African grey male
12 year old blue and gold macaw male
2 year old greenwing macaw
male
Breeding pair of rosey bourkes
Breeding pair of cockatiels
Just curious what does fids mean lol

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That's what it sounded like they were referring too

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920

ROFLMAO.

I've NEVER heard of formaldehyde in sisal rope. When bird toys are made and then distributed to pet shops, bird stores, etc. they buy supplies in BULK, whether it's sisal, cotton rope, etc.

Here is some info on formaldehyde:

Formaldehyde Facts
I meant the sisal rope we would buy from the store, not specific towards bird toys.

Also, just because we buy a toy at the pet store for our birds doesn't mean it's safe. Tanned leather toys can have Formaldehyde in them. Arsenic can be found in wooden parrot toys. Wooden toys that have been stained or tarnished can also be highly toxic. The only toy brand I buy confidently is planet treasure. I often leave the pet store empty handed because I can't bring myself to buy a potentially unsafe toy.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I often leave the pet store empty handed because I can't bring myself to buy a potentially unsafe toy.

And that is precisely why I choose to make my own toys. I KNOW what I stick in 'em. I know what I use. I do my research beforehand.

FWIW, SOME birds can turn the simplest toy into a death trap. I've seen it with my own eyes. So it's always best to closely supervise your birds when providing them with a new toy to see how they "interact" with it. And to check toys daily. Because just because it was seemingly "safe" yesterday, doesn't mean it will be safe today. :)

Chrisdilly

Dec 28, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I am looking to build a play net for my amazon and I wanted to use the 3/4" or 5/8" Manila rope they have. It's made by a brand called Lehigh. It's a pretty thick rope. Would this be sufficient?

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
I bought 250metres of sisal off of the internet, still haven't used it all and the shipping wasn't as bad as i thought it would be considering the weight of it.
Just email them first to be sure its untreated and everything is ok :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts