Question about falls and preventing broken legs

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
So I have two birds - Sun Conure and Quaker Parrot. Both are 17 going on 18.

The Quaker is a recent wing amputee so unlike the Sun, if she falls, she really can't do much to soften her fall. Thankfully they don't fill down a lot although the sun conure will fall off her perch on occasion if she gets startled by a sudden noise or something she sees. So in reality, the Sun is more likely to fall than the Quaker being that she is a bit skittish.

I have heard of birds breaking their legs so this is a concern of mine given that one of my birds only has one wing.

Both of them lost their balance on the shower perch (got a little two water happy) while on their shower perch while in the shower. Luckily it wasn't set high or anything like that, but I still got nervous about it. Both are fine the amputee wagged her tail after shaking her wet father's off LOL!

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Awww. I'm so glad to hear the amputation went well.
I am telling you she didn’t loose anything. She is acting like she did prior to when this tumor formed.

There is no change in the relationship between her and his Sun Conure sister. They just moved back in together and didn’t miss a best. They are sleeping right next to each other on the high perch in their cage.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My Lucy fell and broke her leg, also because she couldn’t fly.

I decided then to keep her cage closed unless I was right with her. I never want to find a bird on the floor again.

I also moved perches lower in her cage, got rid of slippery or narrow perched, and gave her a ladder to perch on and a corner perch.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Hi Heather, what was the reason why she couldn’t fly.

How did the broken leg get treated? Did she need surgery?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
A toddler broke Lucy’s left leg and hurt her wings when Lucy was about two years old. Then she came to live with me. when Lucy was about 20-21, she jumped off her cage to find me (I was sick in bed) and I found her on the floor by her cage.

I know the leg was casted both times. The first break was very bad and the second time was bad again. Then the blood supply to the foot was messed up by the cast and she lost her toes. She had to be recasted and treated for infection. It was a horrible experience and I was very sick with a retained kidney stone and infection at the same time.

Toddlers should not be allowed access to birds or any animal, especially very nice tame birds. It is more of a danger to the little animal than to the human spawn. Lucy was scared of little kids her whole life. Otherwise, she enjoyed block parties and live music. Just not little kids.

Lucy was the most wonderful bird and I still miss her a lot . 22 years with my best friend. I wish I could’ve made it perfect because she deserved the best life.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Wow Heather thank you for sharing.

Bitt ny girls do great with kids (my nieces and nephew) but I am there to supervise.

I am sorry for what happened to Lucy. But she sounds like a wonderful bird.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Wow Heather thank you for sharing.

Bitt ny girls do great with kids (my nieces and nephew) but I am there to supervise.

I am sorry for what happened to Lucy. But she sounds like a wonderful bird.
She was the best bird ever and helped me to understand that you don’t have to be in perfect health or body to be an interesting and wonderful person. By that, I mean feeling ok about myself in my unique health after all the criticism and picking on that I experienced when I was a kid.

People thought Lucy was fabulous and funny and smart and the fact that she was so cool with all her injuries and health issues showed how she’d surpassed all those things. She was even more amazing and not second best. This was a helpful example for me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts