Question About my Conure's Vocabulary

jammythebirb

Aug 19, 2020
England
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
Hey everyone! I have a 2 year old female GCC named Pippin, and for a while now I've really wanted to ask someone about her vocabulary. I feel like it might be a bit unusual. There's no real reason I'm asking except pure curiosity, it's just something that's been on my mind.

I've heard conures aren't the greatest talkers, but she talks a lot, and asks for things verbally. This is a list of stuff she says pretty much every day:
  • Pippin
  • Good girl/Pippin good girl/baby good girl
  • Baby bird (sometimes she just says bay-bird)
  • Where's Jon?
  • Kiss/gimmie kiss/Pippin kiss/you wanna kiss?
  • Cuddle
  • Pippin grape/cuddle/treat (when she wants something)
  • You wanna treat?
  • gimmie treat
  • Step up
  • Watcha want?
  • Beep
  • Hello/hello Pippin/hello bird/hello birdie/hello baby/hello good girl)
  • Yes
  • Peekaboo

And here's stuff she more rarely says, or one offs:
  • Yum Yum
  • Hi Pippin
  • Heeeeeey/ hey baby/hey birdie
  • Pretty
  • Alright?

She can make some noises and knows some tricks too. That's about all I can remember. So, I'm just curious to know- is this a lot for a green cheeked conure?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Hey everyone! I have a 2 year old female GCC named Pippin, and for a while now I've really wanted to ask someone about her vocabulary. I feel like it might be a bit unusual. There's no real reason I'm asking except pure curiosity, it's just something that's been on my mind.

I've heard conures aren't the greatest talkers, but she talks a lot, and asks for things verbally. This is a list of stuff she says pretty much every day:
  • Pippin
  • Where's Jon?
  • Cuddle
  • You wanna treat?
  • gimmie treat
  • Step up
  • Watcha want?
  • Beep
  • Yes
  • Peekaboo

• Yum Yum
  • Hi Pippin
  • Pretty
  • Alright?

She can make some noises and knows some tricks too. That's about all I can remember. So, I'm just curious to know- is this a lot for a green cheeked conure?
I've never had a conure so I can't answer your actual question, but don't you just love her gravelly little voice?! One of the GCC at my local parrot rescue talked quite a bit and it was so delightful!

Without speaking from experience, but from what I've read about parrot brain development and the language centers, all parrots are born with the capability of learning how to speak foreign language, but not all of them are 1. Exposed to languages at a time where they will pick it up, or 2. Choose to use the language to communicate. (And 3. Appropriate living conditions to encourage learning). It sounds like Pippin has checked the boxes for speaking in our language to be a win win for her :) and for you 😁

OP
jammythebirb

jammythebirb

Aug 19, 2020
England
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
Thank you so much for the responses! Yeah, I find her lil voice really cute. c:

Aww, I've seen videos, and it's adorable when birds mimic sounds like the microwave. This was interesting, it's cool to know my theory she's a chatterbox could be right!

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Personally I disagree with people's opinion that conures aren't good talkers. In the past I was on a Facebook group for Pyrurha conures owners and from our (me and the admin) observations many conures talk. Our hypothesis is that maybe many people don't even realize that their fids talk because of their not clear talk. So maybe that's why people think about conures not being good talkers. On our group every second conure was able to talk. Really.

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure

• Pippin
  • Where's Jon?
  • Cuddle
  • You wanna treat?
  • gimmie treat
  • Step up
  • Watcha want?
  • Beep
  • Yes
  • Peekaboo

• Yum Yum
  • Hi Pippin
  • Pretty
  • Alright?

I have a 15 month old GCC named Mojito. He talks quite a bit too. Here is a list of things he says so far:
Mojito
Mojito baby
Babyeeeee
gimmie kiss, makes kiss noise, and then says thank you
good job
come on
step up
huh
what
whatta yah doing
love you
love you babe or love you baby

Last edited:

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
Yeah that's a great vocabulary for a green cheek :)

Mine learned how to say around 10 different things.. when she was younger... but as she's gotten older her desire to actually speak has significantly decreased - as well as how clearly she says what she does has also gone downhill. I think in a new flock, parrots try to blend-in and do what the flock does. But now that she's comfy in her space, she doesn't feel the need and prefers when I talk parrot instead.

So heads up, your conure's vocab may decrease with age.

Most Reactions

Latest posts