Question about quills

sockys_mom

Nov 5, 2009
I hope I don't sound too stupid but I'm new to this whole bird keeping thing. My Quaker has lost a bunch of feathers on her head. Then a bunch of new really really thick, darn thick quills are growing back in it's place. They've been there for about a week. They're so big and pointy I can't even touch it's head. I'm assuming this is just the normal process of feather growing, but can someone tell me if that is normal. The placement of such thick quills is weirding me out. She looks so silly. And if so, how long does it take to turn into normal feathers?

Thanks guys:green2:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Yup perfectly normal. Throughout the year they will drop a feather hear and there and grow a new one in this manner, and a couple times a year they will have a major molt and loose many feathers at once.

Make sure she is getting plenty of nutrition, particularly calcium, during these stages. Give her baths - either with a plate/bowl or with a mist spray bottle. These will help smooth the process. When the feathers have grown in the 'quill'-like sheath will flake off and the feather will unfold/unroll. Sometimes you may be able to help scrap these away by basically just scraping with your finger - but don't go at it too early, if the feather is still growing in the sheath you will be notified by a loud squawk and an angry bite.

OP
sockys_mom

sockys_mom

Nov 5, 2009
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. I'd just never seen the process before. My first birdie.:green2:

Elena

Aug 20, 2009
Media
Albums
Wilkeson, WA
Parrots
2 SI Eclectus, Hahns Macaw, African Red-Bellied Parrot and Cockatiel
Spot on AD. Recently one of the baby African Grey we were hand-raising for a customer literally looked like a pincushion with quills everywhere. This has got to be an uncomfortable time for babies and the spritzing sure helps. And when the carotene sheaths come off, there's lots of sweeping to do! Fun :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts