question about scales and voice chat program

urigard

Dec 17, 2009
i was wondering if i could use a gram scale to wiegh the birds that you buy from fred meyers or a store like that nothing fancy untill i could get a real bird scale to wiegh my quaker with. my next question is i use a voice chat program on my computer and was wondering if i should cancel this because i was thinking the voices coming out of the computer will scare the bird or will this be good for the bird. As i stated in previous posts i am going to buy my first parrot and am still trying to learn as much about quakers and parrots in general and would like to thank you guys for answering my questions no matter how annoying or clueless they seem. the info i got from here has really helped but hasnt detered me in wanting a quaker. sorry for going off topic just thought i would say that.:D

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
i was wondering if i could use a gram scale to wiegh the birds that you buy from fred meyers or a store like that
Any gram scale will do, there's nothing special about one's made for birds except that they may have a built in perch and cost 10 times more than they should.

However I would not buy birds from Fred Meyers! :rolleyes:
That's what you get for dangling your participle all over!

Anyhow... No reason to avoid voice chat, it could actually be good for him to hear conversations. Just be prepared to have him to interrupt.

OP
U

urigard

Dec 17, 2009
I would never get my pets from a corporation the closest i came to that was fish from petco. I am getting My quaker named Alvin at a small buisness exlusively for parrots. they ave tiels also. was just thinking of getting the scale at fred meyers or such other cheap stores because im already spending like 700 to 800 dollars and if i had the money it would be alot more. I also had another question i hear that i should take the parrot to a bird vet right away and was wondering if it would be ok if i put that off untill january as i am probibly gonna not have enough money to take it right away. he/she also dosent seem sick but what i hear is parrots are one of the best animals at hiding their illness. im hoping it dosent take a liking to mutilating my keyboard as i dont know how to reatach keys but im sure it will be simple.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I actually tune into utube to watch the parrot videos with birdie on my shoulder. She love them!

BlueToast

Oct 18, 2009
Media
South Jersey
Parrots
Severe Macaw
When you need something for your bird if you can i would encourage you to support locally owned Exotic Bird retailers.

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Banned
Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Poconos, Pa, USA
I just don't patronize any store that sells birds. Period. I also don't believe in buying baby birds but adopting, instead, and, when it comes to quakers, there are lots of great birds out there to adopt. Birds bond with whoever loves them so it's not as if by getting an adult bird you are doomed to having a bird who doesn't care for you (and I can personally attest to this as all my birds are rescues and they all love me). It's also cheaper and safer in terms of health issues because there are a couple of bad diseases that kill the young only. Plus, most rescues will vet their birds so you are saving money there, too. And, last but, in reality, the most important consideration, you are giving a home to a homeless bird!
As to waiting until January for the vetting, yes, you can. As a matter of fact, it's always best to wait a few weeks until the bird feels comfortable with you to minimize the stress.
And the cheap scale is OK unless you are getting a baby that is still not completely weaned. If you are, you need a good scale because monitoring the weight and ensuring accuracy is essential.

Most Reactions