Question for all the female budgie owners.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I have some questions for female budgie owners..

Do you see poop change during breeding/hormonal times? Can you share pictures?

When your females develop the brown crusty hormonal nares can/does this stain in light colored birds above nares?

Does your female regurgitate randomly when in breeding mood?

Do they do tail bobbing?
(Credit to Laura for the first to questions https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...o-lay-an-egg-as-well.93838/page-2#post-990876)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I have one confirmed female budgie and another I suspect is female (not old enough to tell yet). The confirmed female is 3 yrs. old now.
1. I haven't noticed a change in her poops, but maybe I'll try and observe, nut it's hard to tell which poops are hers because all my budgies sleep in the same cage πŸ˜…
2. Hedwigs (the female) cere turns dark brown and crusty like every six months? Idk I'd have to monitor it more closely. It does stain her feathers too.
3. She doesn't regurgitate that I've seen but she does crouch down and twitch her wings open halfway in front of my 2 males (they aren't interested in her at all)
Hope this helps!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I have one confirmed female budgie and another I suspect is female (not old enough to tell yet). The confirmed female is 3 yrs. old now.
1. I haven't noticed a change in her poops, but maybe I'll try and observe, nut it's hard to tell which poops are hers because all my budgies sleep in the same cage πŸ˜…
2. Hedwigs (the female) cere turns dark brown and crusty like every six months? Idk I'd have to monitor it more closely. It does stain her feathers too.
3. She doesn't regurgitate that I've seen but she does crouch down and twitch her wings open halfway in front of my 2 males (they aren't interested in her at all)
Hope this helps!
Picasso's poops do change slightly, they get a bit more watery even though she's not 'with egg'
Thanks for the replies!
I think every budgie is different.. my female has been in breeding mood for most of last year and this whole year... not sure why, but yeah. She's been more hormonal now than ever, which could be why her poops are a bit weird.
I feel you on this one.. sometimes I see a poop that's off but I can't tell which because 5 budgies share a cage! LOL!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Picasso's poops do change slightly, they get a bit more watery even though she's not 'with egg'
Be cautious, as you also have sick budgies.

I'm very interested in all of this and everyone sharing their observations! Great budgies community!

I just have boys. I see no variation in poop regardless if they are eating veggies or pellets or seeds. They have the very classic budgies poop.

The only time I saw changes was during my chlamydiaosis outbreak. They had messy poops , green stains around the poops, poops string out not in classic donut shape. I had shared pictures before of this but when the forum went through the update.....I think were lost....I'm pretty sure I didn't hang on to them myself but I will check.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Be cautious, as you also have sick budgies.

I'm very interested in all of this and everyone sharing their observations! Great budgies community!

I just have boys. I see no variation in poop regardless if they are eating veggies or pellets or seeds. They have the very classic budgies poop.

The only time I saw changes was during my chlamydiaosis outbreak. They had messy poops , green stains around the poops, poops string out not in classic donut shape. I had shared pictures before of this but when the forum went through the update.....I think were lost....I'm pretty sure I didn't hang on to them myself but I will check.
Yes, indeed I do. Picasso has ALWAYS had watery poops around breeding season, though.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I share my classic 100% normal budgies poops.
One on the right fresh dropped one on left upper dried older
20220404_125914.jpg

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I have some questions for female budgie owners..

Do you see poop change during breeding/hormonal times? Can you share pictures?

When your females develop the brown crusty hormonal nares can/does this stain in light colored birds above nares?

Do they do tail bobbing?
(Credit to Laura for the first to questions https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...o-lay-an-egg-as-well.93838/page-2#post-990876)
Poop change is a normal thing - they become so big. I don't have any pics, it's been very long time since I had a hormonal female budgie (Angela has never been hormonal)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Poop change is a normal thing - they become so big. I don't have any pics, it's been very long time since I had a hormonal female budgie (Angela has never been hormonal)
TEACH ME YOUR WAYS

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Do you see poop change during breeding/hormonal times?
i do see a little bit their poop becomes a little watery that only happens in breeding and mating season
Yes oh yes my female budgies have that always when they are hormonal esaepicsly tofu because she is the most hormonal one
My female budgies have never regurgitated from my 1-year bird experience that has never happend to me
Do they do tail bobbing?
Again that never happened to me in my 1-year bird experience

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
So. Four females here. Eggs are being discarded but I cannot stop them laying. (too bad they are not chickens... ). BEFORE Calliope Ever laid her first egg there were several instances of Huge poops. That is, she was in breeding condition but I think there were a couple months where this occurred. I would become worried, and watch her for other signs, but she would be otherwise okay. At this point, it is definite that when I see a huge budgie poop I will find an egg somewhere that day.

Regarding the ceres. Mine like their veggies. They like to stick their faces in them. So there is often an appearance of the brown of the ceres kind of extending beyond the cere. HOwever I'm NOT sure it's always just from the veggies, sometimes it seems like it could be the cere itself. At the beginning there were many times when I was examining Calliope's cere as closely as she would allow, because it often seemed like there was more going on with the cere than Just carrot & spinach. But I am unable to verify this for a certainty.

I do find occasional tail-bobbing can occur with all the budgies. BUT then they will be okay again. It will occur, and last long enough that I will observe, wonder, and observe some more. But by the next day it will resolve, and I won't see it again for a while. Originally I would see it in Jefferson the most often, and he could be Quite Anxious, so I believe it can be reflective of some amount of stress, and not Merely limited to only illness. (He is less-anxious, now that he has his own entire little flock of budgies to watch over, and indeed does the tail-bobbing Much less now.)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
So. Four females here. Eggs are being discarded but I cannot stop them laying. (too bad they are not chickens... ). BEFORE Calliope Ever laid her first egg there were several instances of Huge poops. That is, she was in breeding condition but I think there were a couple months where this occurred. I would become worried, and watch her for other signs, but she would be otherwise okay. At this point, it is definite that when I see a huge budgie poop I will find an egg somewhere that day.

Regarding the ceres. Mine like their veggies. They like to stick their faces in them. So there is often an appearance of the brown of the ceres kind of extending beyond the cere. HOwever I'm NOT sure it's always just from the veggies, sometimes it seems like it could be the cere itself. At the beginning there were many times when I was examining Calliope's cere as closely as she would allow, because it often seemed like there was more going on with the cere than Just carrot & spinach. But I am unable to verify this for a certainty.

I do find occasional tail-bobbing can occur with all the budgies. BUT then they will be okay again. It will occur, and last long enough that I will observe, wonder, and observe some more. But by the next day it will resolve, and I won't see it again for a while. Originally I would see it in Jefferson the most often, and he could be Quite Anxious, so I believe it can be reflective of some amount of stress, and not Merely limited to only illness. (He is less-anxious, now that he has his own entire little flock of budgies to watch over, and indeed does the tail-bobbing Much less now.)
Thank you so much for your reply, it is really useful!

Most Reactions

Latest posts