Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Pipp,
I'm sorry to hear this..what a struggle to love and care but be handicapped by circumstances.

I'm very glad to hear a new veterinarian will have chance at helping and finding answers. I add my prayers for help and recovery 🙏 ❤. As you know only a professional with hands on your bird an in person evaluation, testing, and their advanced training is going to be able to help and make a difference. Sometimes even for people ( me currently) it can take several visits and different doctors to find answers.

But if you give me Snowys history I will try to help as best I can from my experience. Sorry...on phone not easy for me to see species, and I forget and confuse ....
So species, age, sex, time you've had, diet, symptoms, duration, what has bern tried, any past treatments and any effects those had. Pictures of bird, including one close up of eyes, nare, problem areas, and poops.
She was aviary bred, so chances for bad genes and illnesses are very high.
20220404_083126.jpg
20220404_083130.jpg
20220404_082937.jpg
20220404_082925.jpg

Last edited:
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Oops, I meant that she had only pellets, as you wrote.

Also oops, I thought at first snowy was your cockatiel. Thought I got all the mistakes out after I figured it out but I did not.

I have not bred budgies. I would guess that more typical # eggs is 4-6 eggs per clutch.

Hmm. I can’t recall if sperm can remain viable in the avian reproductive tract for two or three weeks. I would guess not. I would guess sperm could remain viable in the hen’s reproductive tract for at most a few days. I would need to look that up to be sure, though.

I think that the birds would need to mate after the egg had begun to ripen in the ovary and was ready to be released. So maybe mating 1-3 days before laying of the egg to get a fertile egg and eventually a baby bird? Again I would have to check to be sure.

Sorry that is all guesses; I think they’re very educated guesses but I would have to check to be sure of the answers. I was working with turkeys and chickens which are surprisingly like parrots, but not THE SAME. that’s the problem: so much more avian medical info exists for poultry but not for parrots.
I guess her eggs isn't fertilized because she hasn't been in physical contact(not close enough to mate, she has interacted through the bars but that can't cause her to become "pregnant")

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello everyone, I gave her boiled eggs with carrot, cucumber, snap peas(those were all the veg available), and "soft food"(a combination of grains and vegetable fats, I bought it online once). Is that ok? Also, she's seeing an avian vet at 3pm or in 5 hours.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I hope Snowy will be okay!!! Hang in there, little girl, your flock needs you!!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Vet says she appears to be fine. He said tail bobbing can sometimes be courting behaviour, and her vomiting appears to be her trying regurgitating. He says that if she was ill, she would've lost a lot of weight, and she would've became thinner, which she didn't. He says her vent isn't really swollen, it's just a bit puffy in the area. He says there is no eggs. Vet says her diet is good.

Thanks everyone for the help :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi Pipp,
Good luck at the vets!
The discoloration of the feathers above the nares, is a sign of respiratory infection.
Whether that is chlamydia, fungal, yeat, mites can't say.

Besides the big poop, none look normal.....but with eggs can't evaluate.

In your first thread, you put she had eggs 2-3 times a month im guessing now , lol, that it was you feeding her eggs? Not her laying eggs?

I suggest getting K&H cage warmer . Will find snd link.
The Xtra warmth tgey can snuggle up to is healing and supporting. It doesn't matter if home is warm. Sick bird need between 85-90f to really support them. I know you've seen me post about and link articles about the importance of warmth for sick birds.

Last edited:
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi Pipp,
Good luck at the vets!
The discoloration of the feathers above the nares, is a sign of respiratory infection.
Whether that is chlamydia, fungal, yeat, mites can't say.

Besides the big poop, none look normal.....but with eggs can't evaluate.

In your first thread, you put she had eggs 2-3 times a month im guessing now , lol, that it was you feeding her eggs? Not her laying eggs?
Yep I meant feeding her eggs

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Vet says she appears to be fine. He said tail bobbing can sometimes be courting behaviour, and her vomiting appears to be her trying regurgitating. He says that if she was ill, she would've lost a lot of weight, and she would've became thinner, which she didn't. He says her vent isn't really swollen, it's just a bit puffy in the area. He says there is no eggs. Vet says her diet is good.

I'm still kinda confused..

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Did you show him pictures of the poop? He didn't notice discoloration above nares.... or hear respiratory sounds...

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Did you show him pictures of the poop? He didn't notice discoloration above nares.... or hear respiratory sounds...
I think the poops was a morning poop. Her poops are fine now.. She doesn't really have respiratory sounds while breathing. I'm really confused TBH

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Pipp,
Budgies don't have different mornings poop. They should all look round with white center.

She is in breeding with brown nares. And hopefully the stains over nares are from this. so poop can be a due to eggs /active follicles...

I'm linking as they have pictures of Normal vs abnormal

The video , I wasn't able to really evaluate tail bob....I saw but was so quick and I couldn't enlarge on my phone to see better.

You talk vomiting. Vomiting is liquid and they shake their head and it goes everywhere, usually. Regurgitate can be passive they just bend over and open mouth and it falls out. Or as behavioral tgey pump neck abd bring up either try to share or swallow again its usually creamy.

Great news thst she is good body condition. You do feed a great diet

Last edited:
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Pipp,
Budgies don't have different mornings poop. They should all look round with white center.

She is in breeding with brown nares. So it can be a due to eggs /active follicles...
Yeah, possibly..
I'm linking as they have pictures of Normal vs abnormal
Thanks for the link, I'll read it now.
The video , I wasn't able to really evaluate tail bob....I saw but was so quick and I couldn't enlarge on my phone to see better.

You talk vomiting. Vomiting is liquid and they shake their head and it goes everywhere, usually. Regurgitate can be passive they just bend over and open mouth and it falls out. Or as behavioral tgey pump neck abd bring up either try to share or swallow again its usually creamy.
Yes that's how her regurgitating is. The second one.
Great news thst she is good body condition. You do feed a great diet

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well let's put out a call to female budgies owners!

Do you see poop change during breeding/hormonal times? Can you share pictures?

When your females develop the brown crusty hormonal nares can/does this stain in light colored birds above nares?

Pipp, I think that might be good here, but do you want to start a new thread with those questions? Or do you want me too?

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Well let's put out a call to female budgies owners!

Do you see poop change during breeding/hormonal times? Can you share pictures?

When your females develop the brown crusty hormonal nares can/does this stain in light colored birds above nares?

Pipp, I think that might be good here, but do you want to start a new thread with those questions? Or do you want me too?
I think I'll start a thread, thanks a lot :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Because this is what I had learned and was shared with me from my own avian veterinarian when Cloudy had stains above nares with chlamydiaosis ( didn't have discharge that I ever saw) .

And why I was concerned when saw Snowy had this.

Recognizing Illness in Pet Birds - Niles Animal Hospital

Staining of the feathers above the nares (nostrils) indicates rhinitis (nasal ... Upper respiratory tract infections are very frequently seen in birds.
https://www.aav.org › resmgrPDF
SIGNS OF ILLNESS IN COMPANION BIRDS - Association of Avian ...

Early signs of illness in birds are subtle and easily missed. In the wild, a sick bird will ... Stained feathers over nares (nostrils) or around the face.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...ChAWegQIDBAB&usg=AOvVaw2hU9DSqICeinFBcyaqSff6
Both sites were pdf do I couldn't share better...sorry

Last edited:

Most Reactions