Questions About My Birds Feet

Zilaxia

Jun 19, 2021
Florida
Parrots
Female Lutino Cockatiel. Male Pied Cockatiel.
This is a very short question but I cant find anything online about this. My grandma thinks my bird has a problem with her leg, she thinks she has a bump on the (knee? back knee? idk what it is) but I think shes fine. She thinks that she stands on one leg because she has a bad foot, but I already know that birds stand on one leg to rest or to get heat. To make sure, I looked up "bird foot problems" and I can't find any bird foot problem online that looks like her "problem" I doubt she even has a problem with her foot and my grandma is overreacting. I gave those details to get better answers but my main question is: is it normal for a bird to always stand on one specific leg? Thats one of the reasons my grandma thinks my bird has a problem with her foot, even though I doubt it. Answers please. :confused:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
it's not uncommon for a bird to hold one foot up, however if it is ALWAYS the same foot you might want to be concerned that they're favoring that foot. Do you happen to have pictures so we cna see this "bump" ?

OP
Zilaxia

Zilaxia

Jun 19, 2021
Florida
Parrots
it's not uncommon for a bird to hold one foot up, however if it is ALWAYS the same foot you might want to be concerned that they're favoring that foot. Do you happen to have pictures so we cna see this "bump" ?

Ill send the pic but what does it mean if they're favoring a foot? Is it a good or bad thing?

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
what does it mean if they're favoring a foot? Is it a good or bad thing?

I guess it means that he is always standing on the same foot which might be because the other foot is injured or ill.

OP
Zilaxia

Zilaxia

Jun 19, 2021
Florida
Parrots
what does it mean if they're favoring a foot? Is it a good or bad thing?

I guess it means that he is always standing on the same foot which might be because the other foot is injured or ill.

I genuinely can't find an issue with her foot, she stands on the foot when she wants to go to sleep or when she just wants to relax. I look at the foot many times and I just, can't find anything online that looks like it because the way it looks is like NORMAL foot, atleast to me. I'll send the picture, my grandma thinks she has a "bump" on the part behind her foot? maybe her back knee or something? so heres the photo:

image0.jpg

She has that stuff around her cheeks which I will clean but I need the help of my grandma and of course she hasn't got time for it so I keep telling her everyday to do help me and she doesn't.
But yeah those lil parts are the "hurt" area, the only issue I see is that her feet are a little dirty.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi Zilaxia

It seems to me that you are right. The foot looks ok as you can see in the picture below, that lump region is her anckle.

8c441eaf4ed37a9e5c55f153571dc2fc.gif

On the other hand I would love to have a better picture of those things in her cheek that you said may be cleaned. If it is just some dryied up food you might clean it yourself with warm water and a carefull touch

OP
Zilaxia

Zilaxia

Jun 19, 2021
Florida
Parrots
Hi Zilaxia

It seems to me that you are right. The foot looks ok as you can see in the picture below, that lump region is her anckle.

On the other hand I would love to have a better picture of those things in her cheek that you said may be cleaned. If it is just some dryied up food you might clean it yourself with warm water and a carefull touch

I want either my grandma or my mom to help me clean her cheeks because I don't trust only me to do it, I also feel like seeing my mom/grandma help me with it will help me do it myself. So once I force them to help me and stop ignoring it, i'll post a pic!

OP
Zilaxia

Zilaxia

Jun 19, 2021
Florida
Parrots
Hi Zilaxia

HELLO! Very late to this but a few days after I did this thread my grandma actually cleaned my birds lil cheeks, updates on Lucy:grey:: She now flies to me all the time and bites my earrings and she now looks like this! (This is the pic my mom sent me right after they managed to clean her cheeks, so, shes very wet.):
image0.jpg

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
I'm trying to figure out if my conure holding his foot up on my laptop is an issue. It's the only place he does it. Sometimes, he looks really tired like he's about to fall asleep but doesn't. Should I be concerned?

Most Reactions

Latest posts