Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi guys, I'm doing some research for school. I decided I'd do research about this topic, and ask bird owners here about it.

Please read the following disclaimer:

If you don't have experience with this, please, do NOT reply. Do not link articles, tell about someone else's birds, etc. I want to hear about YOUR experience, not someone else's. This is a non-scientific study. Please do not give your personal opinion, rather just your personal experience(Question 3 is an exception, you are allowed to say why you chose a single/multiple bird(s). Please do not comment on someone else's experience/choices, example, tell someone who has a single bird to get another one.

I'd prefer to hear about smaller birds or highly social birds like budgies, cockatiels, finches, etc. Other birds are welcome, though. Please state the type of bird(s) you own(ed).

With that being said, let's move on to the questions.

1. Have you ever owned a single bird for an extended period(at least a few weeks)? Do you currently own one? Have you owned/currently own multiple birds?

2. Have you noticed differences in behavior in single birds versus multiple birds? Does your single bird seem lonely, aggressive, depressed, more social, etcetera? Do you socialize your single bird with other humans/birds? Do your birds with another flock member(s) seem more aggressive, depressed, social, etc? What are some benefits for you personally to owning one/more than one bird?

3. Why did you choose a single bird/multiple birds over the other?

4. Do you have any issues with a single bird/multiple birds?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Long ago, we had more than a single Parrot, but with time elected to target just a single Parrot. All had been Rescues.

Likely because of the targeted older age of the Parrots (Amazons), have been Companion Parrots and were not that interested in other Parrots. Socialize is a critical part of developing a Trust Bond. Since our Amazons came to us very ill, care for them was also part of Socialization.

The heavy effort placed into regaining or maintaining their Health status is commonly very expensive and multi-Parrots limits monies and time available for other Parrots.

We find that by targeting a single Parrot, it works much better in quickly establishing a relationship with an older Amazon that commonly has not want to every trust a human again.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Long ago, we had more than a single Parrot, but with time elected to target just a single Parrot. All had been Rescues.

Likely because of the targeted older age of the Parrots (Amazons), have been Companion Parrots and were not that interested in other Parrots. Socialize is a critical part of developing a Trust Bond. Since our Amazons came to us very ill, care for them was also part of Socialization.

The heavy effort placed into regaining or maintaining their Health status is commonly very expensive and multi-Parrots limits monies and time available for other Parrots.

We find that by targeting a single Parrot, it works much better in quickly establishing a relationship with an older Amazon that commonly has not want to every trust a human again.
Interesting how older birds tend to not like socializing with other birds. I think it's because they are not used to other birds. Thank you for your reply:)

Last edited:

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Yes, I had a single parrot for one year. Currently I have 5 parrots but I can say that Zenek is still single because he is in a different room than others and even when he has a contact with others, this interaction is very weak

Have you noticed differences in behavior in single birds versus multiple birds
Hmmm... I don't really want to compare Zenek with others because of different species and probably it's the main reason of any differences. From what I remember Limonka (my past budgie) didn't change her behavior after becoming a single bird.
Zenek is socialized with us.

Do your birds with another flock member(s) seem more aggressive, depressed, social, etc?
I noticed that Jaś and Fela become aggressive seeing Rozalka.
Rozalka is a bit complicated case. On one side she is quite often aggressive towards others but on another site I noticed she is a bit social and she cares about Angela (and Romek in the past).
What are some benefits for you personally to owning one/more than one bird?
For one bird: he interacts with us more
For multiple: I don't have to be worried about leaving them alone because actually they never are alone
It's a bit harder question because I got them all as a child when I wasn't thinking about such things so much
Szafirek, Limonka and bourkes: I just wanted multiple birds/thought it's better
Zenek: I wanted him tamed (too much watching a wrong YouTube channel about parrots where a man said that single conure is better)
Angela and Romek: Romek was an unexpected parrot. We saw how much he wanted to interact with Bourkes, so we got Angela later
Do you have any issues with a single bird/multiple birds?
4. Zenek wants to feed and mate with his toys...
Jaś and Fela sometimes mate and I get unwanted eggs later (only in spring/summer)
Except of breeding season problems I don't think there are others.

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots
Bubbles- An aqua and white female fancy parakeet

Star- An aqua and yellow (probably) male fancy parakeet

Kiwi- RIP my sweet little green boi TwT
1. Have you ever owned a single bird for an extended period(at least a few weeks)? Do you currently own one? Have you owned/currently own multiple birds?
Yesh, Kiwi (RIP), Bubbles, and Star.
2. Have you noticed differences in behavior in single birds versus multiple birds? Does your single bird seem lonely, aggressive, depressed, more social, etcetera? Do you socialize your single bird with other humans/birds? Do your birds with another flock member(s) seem more aggressive, depressed, social, etc? What are some benefits for you personally to owning one/more than one bird?
After Kiwi passed away and a night passed, Bubbles seemed super angsty and aggressive, she flapped around for hours straight and squawked non stop- After Star came, she got a lot better, I personally feel that unless you can spend most of the day straight playing and bonding with your bird, it’s much better to just get two- especially if they haven’t bonded well with you.
Like I said before, birbs need company, Bubbles was going to make all of us deaf within a week if she kept squawking like that, and she could’ve gotten injured, flapping around everywhere, so it’s much better to keep a bird busy with a friend.
Multiple birds are louder and they fight, but better than a single depressed birb-

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Yesh, Kiwi (RIP), Bubbles, and Star.

After Kiwi passed away and a night passed, Bubbles seemed super angsty and aggressive, she flapped around for hours straight and squawked non stop- After Star came, she got a lot better, I personally feel that unless you can spend most of the day straight playing and bonding with your bird, it’s much better to just get two- especially if they haven’t bonded well with you.

Like I said before, birbs need company, Bubbles was going to make all of us deaf within a week if she kept squawking like that, and she could’ve gotten injured, flapping around everywhere, so it’s much better to keep a bird busy with a friend.

Multiple birds are louder and they fight, but better than a single depressed birb-
Thank you for your reply. I'm glad Bubbles has a new friend now.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
1. Have you ever owned a single bird for an extended period(at least a few weeks)? Do you currently own one? Yes, an only parrot household. Have you owned/currently own multiple birds? No.

2. Have you noticed differences in behavior in single birds versus multiple birds? N/A for my experience. Does your single bird seem lonely, aggressive, depressed, more social, etcetera? No, Salty is a well adjusted Amazon. Aggressive sometimes during mating season and when I am not home at night i time to do training and put him to bed, Do you socialize your single bird with other humans? Yes, with members of my family. Do your birds with another flock member(s) seem more aggressive, depressed, social, etc? N/A What are some benefits for you personally to owning one bird? Salty is so integrated into the family, he is like son to Geri and I.

3. Why did you choose a single bird over the other?
I feel that for our household one parrot is quite enough, due to space and ability to provide the very best in one on one relationships.

4. Do you have any issues with multiple birds? TOuchy topic. 2 or 3 parrots can lead to MBS, and 10 parrots, which I think no one can adequately take care of. That is MHO only!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
1) yes and yes

2) The first bird is usually against other birds unless bought at the same time but after some time, they 50/50 inexperience tend to get along. Some birds that are not of the same sex seem to make romantic attachments to their humans and are much more territorial. The older birds sexual/romantic attachment seems to be a big issue but is mitigated so long as they are same species and one much older than the other in my experience.

3) bought a bird...then a bird picked me, they more or less got along. Then later younger one passed and got another.. didn't go so well. Then budgies came then the babies.....It's not something you can really predict.

4) My flock has finally bonded after several weeks they are preening each other and mostly ignore the budgies but sometimes jump in to stop a fight. The bigger and arguably smarter parrots (although some videos on youtube of budgies make ALL my flock look dumb, no disrespect to budgies). They just kind of parent and all get along except the occasional tiff if it lasts long enough a quaker or conure jumps in. Also one budgie is still growing out its wing feathers I've seen my two conures fly to it on the floor and alert me its on the floor.....Which is awesome. TRUE STORY

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
yes I had a single gcc for 10 years. I worked, got stuck with a lot of overtime. She did seem to suffer loneliness. Seem to withdraw and just sit in cage till i got home So I got her fish tank, and cartoons. That did help. She was incredibly loving and sweet.

When she was 10 I had moved had a new job less hours and she seemed well adjusted. But I met Ta-dah my second gcc. It was love at first sight! After see how the two of them did I would never have a single parrot again.

When Burt the Burd died st 17 . Ta-dsh was devastated. Her grief was profound. Her greif was so bad I had to set aside my own. She wouldn't eat unless I sat with her talked to her. She wouldn't move just stared the 1000 foot stare. I took her the vet twice to make sure she wasn't sick.

So I rushed to find a male quaker, because I wanted one and thought might be the best match. It was. She loved him at first sight and tried to win him over for a few weeks till she did. They were a love bond . She screamed and called for him when he was lost. Even tho by then I had the budgies and 2 other quakers.....im so sad she lost 2 loves...she greived...but mostly kept looking fir him and calling to him. She is great friends with Cloudy Budgie. All others are just tolerated.

I don't currently have any issues. All the birds sit on me at the same time except Clear budgie. I just rotate who I kiss and scratch. All can be out if the cafes together no issues. But I never have out unsupervised.

I will always have more than one. Hopefully these I have will live out their lives together. If they couldn't get group love and attention like mine do. Then I would say the max I could personally handle would be 3. Edit: 3 would be if they could all be out of cage together even if spread very far part . But if they could not be trusted out together I'd only have 2.

Last edited:

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
Hi guys, I'm doing some research for school. I decided I'd do research about this topic, and ask bird owners here about it.

If you don't have experience with this, please, do NOT reply. Do not link articles, tell about someone else's birds, etc. I want to hear about YOUR experience, not someone else's. This is a non-scientific study. Please do not give your personal opinion, rather just your personal experience(Question 3 is an exception, you are allowed to say why you chose a single/multiple bird(s). Please do not comment on someone else's experience/choices, example, tell someone who has a single bird to get another one.

I'd prefer to hear about smaller birds or highly social birds like budgies, cockatiels, finches, etc. Other birds are welcome, though. Please state the type of bird(s) you own(ed).

Hi and wow, good questions!

1. Currently the mom of a now-13yr old yellow nape Amazon. Had rescue doves as well as rescue and rehab wild birds when he first came into my life. I have had multiple hook bill parrots in my life, both singly and in groups over the years. Had my first budgie at 12. Stayed birdless until 1994, when a friend needed to rehome a Senegal due to moving out of state. After that, I added conures, a Sun and a Jenday. From there, added and began breeding budgies and lorikeets. I kept an indoor flight for the flock. I had an outdoor flight for my budgies, seasonally. I eventually bought a pair of Rosie Bourkes.

When my health took a bad turn, I began placing all my birds into new homes, both breeding(conures, lorikeets) and pet(budgies, Bourkes).

Eventually we were down to two budgies, kept as pets for my kids. That's when I started licensing for rescue and rehab of wild birds. I'd also wanted chickens for years, and began keeping a flock. This is when Myka, the yna, came joyfully into my life.

After moving out of state, I gave up wild birds as I'd need to license again. Myka and chickens moved with.

2. A friend stayed here with her b&g macaw for a time. They seemed to enjoy each other's company. Interactions were carefully monitored.

I've had chicks inside the house, as well as the occasional adult chicken. Myka is fascinated by them and is always checking them out. He's very curious. I'm very careful with his interactions for two reasons: he could easily kill a chick; they could inadvertently transmit an illness such as H5N1.

Myka remains a single bird. I am absolutely sure he gets lonely. I've had to constantly work at social opportunities for him, including using parrot cams on YouTube as well as interacting with people. I am home 95% of the time. He is rarely caged, playing freely in a bird-safe environment. As a disabled person, he is my constant companion.

3. I keep one parrot. I simply cannot afford a second higher order parrot. It's not just the purchase price, it's avian vet care, quality food, cages, toys, enrichment. I also do not want to risk my relationship with him. He is bonded to me: what would happen with a second parrot? Would he hate it? Love it? Turn against me in favor of another? I would like to bring in smaller birds, such as finches, canaries, or diamond doves. They could be good company/interest for Myka without risking unwanted behavioral changes.

4. The biggest issue with owning a parrot I have is access to an avian vet. I currently have to travel over an hour, out of state, for care. The costs are staggering.

Hope this helps you!

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I have 4 budgies :)
Yes, Stormy was single for about 2 weeks following Sky's death, and his and Sky's abuse/neglect. He just needed to grieve, recover from the trauma somewhat, and understand he was safe in a quiet, calm space.
2. Have you noticed differences in behavior in single birds versus multiple birds?
Yes, Stormy cheered up once Picasso came along. My birds are also happier in a flock rather than a pair (but again, that's just me, and most of my birds were misfits, stressed by other birds, rehomed too much, kicked out of their former flock, etc.).
Does your single bird seem lonely, aggressive, depressed, more social, etcetera?
Stormy seemed really depressed. I forgot to mention that my sister hid Sky (no I won't go into detail) when she died for upwards of a week. I just noticed Sky wasn't there one day, then some stuff happened and I got Stormy. He was quite depressed when I got him.
Do you socialize your single bird with other humans/birds?
N/A
Do your birds with another flock member(s) seem more aggressive, depressed, social, etc?
Nope, they seem happier, more active, and have strong bonds with me as well as the rest of the flock.
What are some benefits for you personally to owning one/more than one bird?
They have friends to hang out with when I need to do something else, and they get those valuable interactions with other birds that I think budgies NEED to thrive.
Answered above!
Not enough hands :ROFLMAO:

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia

I currently own a female eclectus which I have had for a few months. I have had two other birds in my lifetime which were a cockatiel and a double yellow headed amazon.

I have always just had a singular bird.

I don't know if I will decide to add to my flock down the road or not. At this time, I would have to say that for my household (which consists of a high energy dog, a grumpy cat, and a somewhere in between the other two teenager) I am not sure that I could give another bird the time and attention that it would require.

I feel like having animals is like having children some people prefer one and others want 5. It really just comes down to time, money, and the desire to deal with multiples. I don't know whether birds benefit from having other birds in their flock or not. I would think that ultimately it depends on the quality of life one can provide. If you only have one, do you end up providing it with better food, toys, and vet visits? I also realize that as someone who is now older in life it is a very real possibility that my bird will outlive me. So, would it be fair to the birds for me to have multiples? Just things I ponder in my mid-life.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thank you everyone for rhe replies! But wow, I'll spends hours(days?) writing all the answers word by word! Even the answers to one question take up a whole page!

But it's good to hear from different people.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Mods, can this thread be closed? I don't need any further replies, as I have already started my schoolwork. Future viewers can use this thread to answer their questions about getting single or multiple birds.

@Terry57 @saxguy64 @ravvlet @Cottonoid

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts