Questions on dibbling & talking

Lauralee

Nov 7, 2011
Bimble, KY
Parrots
lovebirds, conure, quaker
Just got a blue quaker, Bogey, about a week ago. He is gorgeous and friendly at times, he has taken up with me first in the family. He is cage protective to some extent, and also came with a buddy, a Pineapple greencheek conure, who he is also protective of.
I respect his being protective and let him come out of the cage on his own and he likes to go to the playtop and play and eat a few minutes then he climbs down to the floor and comes to me to play. Now for the questions.:D
He knows step up very well, he climbs right up, and seems very happy, but then he begins to chew on me. It doesn't seem like an aggressive bite, its more like he is exploring and tasting me, but it does sting and he has removed skin. What do I do to distract him from doing this and teach him not to?
Also he talks already, but he words are very low, I can understand him as long as he is sitting on my shoulder. I would love to get him to talk louder so other family members can enjoy hearing him. So far he says "You're troublesome" and "worst I've ever seen". He picked these up from the little lady who owned him before me and he knows how to use them, which is even more hilarious. But I would love to get him to talk louder, and suggestions on either of these are greatly appreciated. :blue2: I know Bogey would like it, he is named after Humphrey Bogart, because of his low scratchy voice. Oh and he was a year old in March

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck likes to chew on me too. Sometimes I get the impression that my fingers are sot of like chewing gum to him. Sometimes he does it too hard and it hurts, so I just take my fingers away.

Sometimes he gets these moods where he wants to BITE HARD! It's not necessarily aggressive, but it hurts! I just have to keep my flesh away from him and get him to chew on other things. Of course, fingers are apparently the funnest. It seems to help when I can read his body language.

Certain postures indicate chewiniess. Also, he gets what I call "crazy eyes", or pinning, which means almost certain bitiness. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've learned when it's a good idea to pick him up and when it's not as good an idea. :)

NatWatson

Oct 3, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
He will talk louder as he gets more confident with what he is saying :) my motor-mouth is exceptionally priss about speaking well. He practices for hours under his breath, and then supercharges the house with verbal vomit once he has pronunciation perfect. Bogey will get there, and then you'll be kicking yourself because he wont shut up...

Yoshi throughs tantrums and bites, so I can't relate to nibbles lol. But I do know that their beak is their hands and that is how they explore things and learn about them. I would say he is pushing to see how much he can get away with. I made the mistake of making a big deal out of his nibbling pressure and how hard he did it. In hindsight I should have just silently put him away.

Peel, I love my little green terrorist-ruler-of-the-universe all the more <3

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
When Bogey nibbles on you, he may be preening you. Quakers love to preen their favorite humans. My QP Ralph often nibbles on my earlobes and the bridge of my nose when he preens me. Parrots also like to explore things with their beaks and tongues, and will often gently bite onto something to check its texture and flavor. :D

Ralph is a fairly quiet Quaker and he mumbles a lot too, and says some of his words very quietly. Parrots will usually practice their words a lot before saying them more loudly-- Bogey may be doing that.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Sometimes Puck likes to groom facial hair. He will groom my boyfriend's moustache (sometimes pulls the hair lol) and my eyebrows and eyelashes. It tickles!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts