quick question: chemicals and birds

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a very short question; should I leave my bird upstairs until we are done with some work downstairs?

The work: we were doing some painting, cleaning, and using varnish downstairs. Even I can smell the chemicals so I kept my cockatielā€™s cage upstairs in my brothers room. We arenā€™t painting anymore and are done with cleaning so I took him downstairs for the day after everything dried like 2 days ago. I was also wondering this: if he is upstairs, should I also keep his door closed? (Because today I was in my room and I could smell the varnish from downstairs at 3am so I closed his roomā€™s door completely because it was open a little bit.)

Thanks to anyone who replies ā¤ļø

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a very short question; should I leave my bird upstairs until we are done with some work downstairs?

The work: we were doing some painting, cleaning, and using varnish downstairs. Even I can smell the chemicals so I kept my cockatielā€™s cage upstairs in my brothers room. We arenā€™t painting anymore and are done with cleaning so I took him downstairs for the day after everything dried like 2 days ago. I was also wondering this: if he is upstairs, should I also keep his door closed? (Because today I was in my room and I could smell the varnish from downstairs at 3am so I closed his roomā€™s door completely because it was open a little bit.)

Also, while paint is drying I think it releases VOCS in the air, which I think can be toxic for your bird. So exactly how long after painting or using cleaning chemicals or any chemicals can I put him back in his spot?

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Me too the painters came one week ago to paint the walls
should I leave my bird upstairs until we are done with some work downstairs?
Yes defiantly you should put them upstairs for the smell.
I was also wondering this: if he is upstairs, should I also keep his door closed?
Yes, i defiantly recommend to try all the ways possible that there is completely no vocs smells travelling to your brother room i recommend that your birds stays in your brother room until all the smell is gone

So exactly how long after painting or using cleaning chemicals or any chemicals can I put him back in his spot?
A week or until you cant smell any smells in the spot you are painting in

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Agree with above, you can also open the window in the room to help fresh air come in, and if you have an air purifier, you'll want to turn that on :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Remember that warm air rises and that it is not uncommon for upper floors to have as much if not more of the toxic chemicals. If you have forced air hearing system that system will balance the toxins in all segments of the home.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Remember that warm air rises and that it is not uncommon for upper floors to have as much if not more of the toxic chemicals. If you have forced air hearing system that system will balance the toxins in all segments of the home.
Should I keep the vent closed? Thereā€™s one right beside where I put his cage in the room. I can also open up the windows in the house and the room. But, wouldnā€™t he feel cold? (Itā€™s not really freezing cold outside atm but I do live in Canada and our weather is not so great šŸ˜¬ sometimes itā€™s a bit chilly outside, and sometimes itā€™s really windy.)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Each home is different and providing general advise can be problematic.

Shutting /closing the heat vent into you bedroom is the first place to start.
If your Kitchen has a cooking vent to the great outdoors, turning it on is also a great help as it will reduce the levels of toxins in the air.
Volume is always an issue. If you watch professional painters that commonly limit how much paint they carry to the walls. "only enough to cause a color change." This will reduce the amount of toxins and allow for a quicker drying period. Assure that you do not under paint, as that will only require you to paint again.
You can limit how open the bedroom windows is! But you must regularly check to assure that air is entering by that window and not exiting!

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Me too the painters came one week ago to paint the walls

Yes defiantly you should put them upstairs for the smell.

Yes, i defiantly recommend to try all the ways possible that there is completely no vocs smells travelling to your brother room i recommend that your birds stays in your brother room until all the smell is gone

A week or until you cant smell any smells in the spot you are painting in
Wait what about the smell of cooking and food? For example, if Iā€™m cooking something and the whole house smells like the food, is that bad for your bird? I think ur not supposed to fry things near ur bird and keep it near the kitchen in general, but Is the smell of food also bad for them?

Most Reactions

Latest posts