Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Let's begin from year 2017...
It was usual Sunday morning... but then my mom's phone called from her friend who said that somebody found a parrot outside in bushes. They didn't know what is the species, what is the right care but decided to catch it and give a temporary home. They bought random parrot food in a pet shop and fed the parrot. It was so hungry that ate EVERYTHING. So soon they had to buy seeds again. Few days they were looking for its owner but didn't found. They wanted to take only temporary care, didn't want it for longer time. Because they heard about us that we have parrots and I am their lover, they decided to ask us if we'd take care. We couldn't just say "yes", we needed to think a bit and ask about its species. So they sent a photo - it turned out to be a male budgie. After thinking finally we agreed to take care of him.
The same day they arrived with the parakeet. He turned out to be so small - smaller than normal budgies. The reason isn't known, my theory was he could come from a constant breeder. Also, he was skinny. Soon after opening the box he flew away - he was so scared of us, clumsy flying. He even escaped under kitchen cabinets - we had to move them to pull him out.
Soon he joined Bourkes' cage. We still didn't have a name for him. Because he was green and something unknown for bourkes, we were calling him as "alien".

Days went by, finally he regained his normal weight. For a long idea we had no idea how to name him. One day I had enough of calling him "alien" and said the first name in my thought - Romek. Just for no reason.

Romek, like many budgies, was so social. He loved singing, even if bourkes didn't want him to be so close. When I wanted to breed bourkes, we made a mistake leaving him in the same cage. He was so curious of the nest box and liked looking inside (but wasn't entering). Then I thought it's nothing. Finally one day I found blood in the cage and couldn't find Romek. Soon he left the nest box with injured leg/belly(?). I was so scared and checked if Fela is alive - hopefully she was. We decided to separate Romek from them.

After finishing breeding bourkes, Romek came back to Jaś and Fela. We could see how really social he is, but bourkes were ignoring him... So on December the same year we got second budgie - Angela. At the beginning he still wanted to make friends with bourkes but soon he understood he'd do it quicker with her.

Next year we bought a new cage for budgies to separate 'em from Jaś and Fela. Because then Rozalka had too small cage, she joined budgies (she was chasing other bourkes all the time).

We hoped that Romek may stop being afraid of us... but no. He was too scared of people. Later we noticed that he had some problems with his leg. To be honest I was thinking about going to vet, but the closest one is almost 100 km away and then we had no car. I knew the only solution would be operation - but would he be able to survive it? When somebody was coming closer to him, he was flying away crushing on different things... 'cause he was SO scared of people. Even my parents didn't agree to even try.

We were prepared Romek was not gonna live too long. From the begining he seemed to be a bit disabled. Unfortunately today morning I went to change the water and found him on the cage bottom...

Rest in peace Romek
Romek RIP.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I’m so sorry for your loss of Romek, Roz. It sounds like he really did win the lottery the day he was brought to you. I’m sorry he has gone, but so glad that he got to spend the best years of his life being loved by you. Big hugs and much love to you Roz, my friend, my thoughts are very much with you tonight 🙏

Fly high and free, precious Romek, and we will meet you again at the Bridge. 🌈✨

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thank you for sharing this precious little guy. He spent his last years in as much peace as he could handle, really. He passed while sheltered, among his own kind, with food and water, and he was loved. Not bad for a once-upon-a-time starving little vagabond. :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I understand, My rescue budgie Clear Skies, always stays far away. But still both very happy.

You provided him a good life, with safety and comfort and friends.

We always wish we had longer.

OP
Rozalka

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I understand, My rescue budgie Clear Skies, always stays far away. But still both very happy.

You provided him a good life, with safety and comfort and friends.

We always wish we had longer.
In the first moment I thought you mean that Clear passed away too and already wanted to ask how I missed this info... but I reread it and understood.

To be honest your posts here made me almost crying... Thank y'all

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Romek isn't really dead, you just can't see him any more. Legends never die ❤️
I'm so sorry for your loss, he was an incredible budgie. Thanks for sharing, this is very brave of you. RIP Romek, you will be missed.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh Roz, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss of sweet Romek. What a wonderful life you gave him, full of love and companionship. Thank goodness he ended up with you, I'm sure he would not have had those extra years without your loving care. My heart hurts for you.
Fly free, Romek, you will be missed, and always remembered.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Romek was such a sweet and special little man, Rozzy, and so lucky to have known your love and care. Thank you for sharing him with us again 💖 ✨🌈

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I just realized that today it's 2 years since Romek passed away

Also, it's his first "anniversary" after Angela rejoined him💔
I'm so sorry 💔 but I just know your precious budgies are having the BEST time flying together in birdie heaven.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh Rozzy, such a sad anniversary :cry: But Romek will always be with you, as will Angela, they are together in Heaven and also in your heart 💖 💖

Most Reactions