Range Oven (Part 2)

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
UPDATE: I went on a week long trip at the beginning of May, and Rainy stayed at the bird shop where her breeder works. During that time I had my boyfriend run the oven at 400 for 6 hours two days in a row. I also called the vet to make sure using the range top would be safe with her in the house. He said that natural gas, when used responsibly and watched carefully for leaks, is perfectly safe for them. After all that I was STILL nervous, but I ripped off the band aid and have been using the oven/stove for about a month now. :) Thank you for all your input!

This is not the first time Iā€™ve posted about this, but I have new details and Iā€™m still trying to get things sorted out with this. I just moved into a new house with a BRAND NEW gas stove. Never been used. I didnā€™t know it was brand new when we signed the leaseā€¦

I off gassed it for an hour but it still smelled terrible. Iā€™ve read that an hour can be a sufficient burning off period, Iā€™ve also read half an hour, and Iā€™ve read that thereā€™s no way to know when itā€™s safe. I am incredibly nervous about using this stove/cooktop with my Quaker in the house even after a burning off period.

If youā€™ve had a brand new oven or range top with a bird around, and found it to be safeā€¦ how long did you run it before you used it with the bird in the house?

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
This is not the first time Iā€™ve posted about this, but I have new details and Iā€™m still trying to get things sorted out with this. I just moved into a new house with a BRAND NEW gas stove. Never been used. I didnā€™t know it was brand new when we signed the leaseā€¦

I off gassed it for an hour but it still smelled terrible. Iā€™ve read that an hour can be a sufficient burning off period, Iā€™ve also read half an hour, and Iā€™ve read that thereā€™s no way to know when itā€™s safe. I am incredibly nervous about using this stove/cooktop with my Quaker in the house even after a burning off period.

If youā€™ve had a brand new oven or range top with a bird around, and found it to be safeā€¦ how long did you run it before you used it with the bird in the house?
My liquid propane stove top is now five years old and I usually but not always turn on the direct to outside vent fan when I use it. I have never had any health problems with my eight budgies and their cages are in the same large (22x16) room where we hang out with the kitchen appliances.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Timelines for removing manufacturer assembly coating 'can' vary depending on the unit; Temperature used for heat cleaning, length of time 'at temperature', point of manufacturer of unit, length of time between build and first use (cleaning). Times listed are those commonly seen!

As commented upon above, it is just good practice to vent the start-up on 'any' stove top /oven prior to use regardless of whether it is NG, Propane or electric!

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
My liquid propane stove top is now five years old and I usually but not always turn on the direct to outside vent fan when I use it. I have never had any health problems with my eight budgies and their cages are in the same large (22x16) room where we hang out with the kitchen appliances.
I forgot to mention our vent doesnā€™t lead outsideā€¦ it recirculates. Maintenance guy said most if not all of the new ones are this kind. Do you think it would be safer to just turn on the ceiling fan and open a window when the oven is being used?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, there is no national and or state building code that requires kitchen vents to exit the home /apartment. That said, bathrooms without a window, do require such vents. That vent would be where I would start.

Next is to check wind direction outside. Just an example, if the wind is coming from the West, you would want to open a window on that side and also on the opposite side (Eastside) of your home. Remember that in the morning, the Sun rises in the East and in the evening it sets in the West. If your apartment does not have windows on each side. Open windows with the greatest separation.

Ceiling fans are next as this provides you an opportunity to stir the air within each room that has one. Note: Most fans have a rotation direction switch commonly on top of the motor cover. The goal of that switch is to allow you to select the best setting based on the time of year: Summer is Clockwise (pushing air down) with Winter being counter-clockwise (lifting air up). Best speed settings are low to mid-speed. High speed would seem to be the best, but it tends to do more beating of the air per rotation than compared to the amount of air that is moved. May feel great, but it costs you more.

Window /box fans work best when they are pushing air out of your home. Same story as ceiling fans, low to mid speeds are best. In the Summer's heat, you will make the greatest difference in exchanging air within your home during late evening thru mid morning.

Air conditioners: Setting them at max, does not assure your home with cool any faster. Modern air conditioners are set to provide a specific cool air temperature. Setting the dial to a colder temperature does not change the rate in which your home will cool.

Have fun experimenting!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts