Rawhide?

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
Have you ever offered your 'Zon a dog rawhide such as a flip chip? I can't find any info on them as safe or not for Parrots to chomp on.

I'm talking plain dried products, maybe drilled and hung for chewing/breaking on.

The particulate kind either, thinking about it.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I had a toy in my Amazons cage that was a horizontal rawhide shaft about 3/4 inch diameter with stuff hanging down from it.
it worried me some and the birds did chew on the ends but had little effect on it.
But I did not leave it in for long. Cuz I was concerned.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
rawhide is general frowned upon for dog due to their undigestibility and could cause impaction. I assume the same would apply for birds.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Yeah, I’d have the same concern as Owlet. We don’t even offer our dogs rawhide anymore.

Wood is something they’d naturally chew in the wild, is safer, and can be easily manipulated and mounted for toys. If you need something softer I’d go with untreated cardboard.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If one's Amazon does break a piece off it it would be sharp and be dangerous to their digestive system. I'm in agreement with the other Amazon owners, save the money for something that is Amazon proven.

Most Reactions

Latest posts