hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Hey everyone! Today I wanted to bring up my least favorite subject: cage redecoration time.

I don't do it nearly as often as I should because my cages are so damn big. It's a two man job to place and remove perches generally, especially ones that are affixed to the back of the cage.

But I can't possibly be the only person with this problem--and perhaps someone has found a solution? I've thought about maybe cutting myself a break and only moving toys and easily accessible perches while leaving the more difficult to reach perches where they are as permanent fixtures, has anyone tried this? Is there a particular way that you arrange things to make it easier on yourself in the long run? And how do you come up with new places to put things over and over??? It makes my brain hurt trying to arrange perches in such a way that my birds won't poop on other perches or bowls, once I find a configuration that works I just hate to dismantle it lol.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Normally, I change up my perches every 2 to 3 weeks and even if some I put a random perch in the same place one was previously, I just pick one of a different diameter, thick perches that have been their are replaced with thin ones and vice versa. I make sure to still change the configuration of at least 3 or 4 of the perches though. Not much advice, but I don't know what could make it easier sorry 😅

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Like zERo, I change/rearrange the perches every 2-3 weeks and the toys every 5 or so days. I stress this a lot - more than I probably have to, but I love doing it as much as possible, even with my large flight cages. It is annoying but I've always thought of it as pretty necessary.
It also depends on your bird. Some birds don't get bored of the current setup as quickly or easily.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
somethings that I have in place that are just perfect I leave and never mess with. I just move other stuff.

I spend more time doing foraging stuff.

Most Reactions

Latest posts