Recommendations for vacuums that will pick up from carpeting those fluffy and VERY "sticky" down feathers.

Mozayic

May 1, 2022
Parrots
Meyers
Although I have had various breeds of pet birds for many years, I have yet to find a vacuum that picks up these feathers which are continuously being molted and stick to carpeting. I have to use a lint roller each time before vacuuming as the vacuum only further adheres the "barbs" into the carpeting, and I would love to avoid this two-step cleaning process. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is no question that they represent a challenge. that said, near all of our vac's will pick them up with an occasional one resisting. Take a long look at your vac and ensure that your collection chamber, filter and any hoses are empty /clean as they tend to reduce the effectiveness.

OP
M

Mozayic

May 1, 2022
Parrots
Meyers
There is no question that they represent a challenge. that said, near all of our vac's will pick them up with an occasional one resisting. Take a long look at your vac and ensure that your collection chamber, filter and any hoses are empty /clean as they tend to reduce the effectiveness.
Thanks for the suggestion. Before investing in a new vac, I'll take my current (older) Oreck for a thorough inspection and tune-up.

Bebe'smom

Mar 3, 2022
Minnesnowta (Minnesota)
Parrots
A 15 year old cockatiel
I recently bought new vacuum Dirt Devil Pet vacuum cleaner. I researched heavily the best type of vacuum. Pet vacuums have better suction then most others. Bebe has been moulting like crazy and this gets all downy dust feathers up in one sweep.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We have a cordless dyson pet vacc, because we have dogs that shed like crazy, but it works great on parrot feathers. Any time I notice the suction is not doing it’s job it usually means it is time to wash (or replace) the filter!

OP
M

Mozayic

May 1, 2022
Parrots
Meyers
I recently bought new vacuum Dirt Devil Pet vacuum cleaner. I researched heavily the best type of vacuum. Pet vacuums have better suction then most others. Bebe has been moulting like crazy and this gets all downy dust feathers up in one sweep.
Thanks so much for your prompt response. Would you please tell me the model of the vacuum you purchased? I went online and found two Dirt Devil models that are highly recommended--the Razor Pet Upright Vac and the Power Max Pet Upright vac. Both are reasonably priced, but I want to ensure that I buy one that has been reviewed by a trusted source (you). Also, do you recommend any additional attachments that do not come with the vacuum?

Thank you again; your assistance has been very helpful.

OP
M

Mozayic

May 1, 2022
Parrots
Meyers
We have a cordless dyson pet vacc, because we have dogs that shed like crazy, but it works great on parrot feathers. Any time I notice the suction is not doing it’s job it usually means it is time to wash (or replace) the filter!
Thank you for responding. I currently have a cordless Dyson 44 Animal vac that does not do well on the lower-quality carpeting in my apartment. In fact, after a short time, it needs to be repaired, and I think the major cause is the carpeting use as it worked well on bare floors. May I ask what model of pet vac you own?

Thanks again!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Thank you for responding. I currently have a cordless Dyson 44 Animal vac that does not do well on the lower-quality carpeting in my apartment. In fact, after a short time, it needs to be repaired, and I think the major cause is the carpeting use as it worked well on bare floors. May I ask what model of pet vac you own?

Thanks again!
I think it’s the Dyson v10 Animal, with the high torque cleaning head. We mostly have hardwood, but we have area rugs (even in the parrot room, although that one is washable!) and it does fine on those? We have dogs so lots of hair to pick up on the floor etc.

Any time I’ve noticed it’s not picking up visible dirt (usually chunks of gravel the kids track in) I take the filter off and wash it throughly, as well as giving the vacuum head etc a once over to ensure it’s not clogged. This has always worked for us. It’s the only vacc we use in the bird room and it does a great job.

OP
M

Mozayic

May 1, 2022
Parrots
Meyers
I think it’s the Dyson v10 Animal, with the high torque cleaning head. We mostly have hardwood, but we have area rugs (even in the parrot room, although that one is washable!) and it does fine on those? We have dogs so lots of hair to pick up on the floor etc.

Any time I’ve noticed it’s not picking up visible dirt (usually chunks of gravel the kids track in) I take the filter off and wash it throughly, as well as giving the vacuum head etc a once over to ensure it’s not clogged. This has always worked for us. It’s the only vacc we use in the bird room and it does a great job.
I have some area rugs, too, and my Oreck upright works well on those and bare floors but not on the regular carpeting, which leads me to believe that the fibers in the cheaper carpeting is the culprit in the feather dilemma.

Thank you so much for your suggestions; I really appreciate the time and effort you've given to me.

BinxyBoop

Jul 26, 2022
Parrots
2 cockatiels (Bon Bon and Dennis, 4 Budgies (Trix, Keanu, Charlie, Opal)

Thanks again!
Interesting about your experience with the Dyson. I have gone through two Dyson vacuums in the last two years (Dyson Animal Ball 2 and a Dyson V8) the we used around our bird cages on hard wood. I am now just buying inexpensive vacuums (most recently a Bissell Allergen Pet Vacuum) and hoping for the best.

OP
M

Mozayic

May 1, 2022
Parrots
Meyers
Interesting about your experience with the Dyson. I have gone through two Dyson vacuums in the last two years (Dyson Animal Ball 2 and a Dyson V8) the we used around our bird cages on hard wood. I am now just buying inexpensive vacuums (most recently a Bissell Allergen Pet Vacuum) and hoping for the best.
It's interesting that you recently purchased a Bissell vacuum as I did as well. Mine is likely the same or a similar model (Upright Multiclean Allergen Pet Vac) that I stumbled upon on Amazon that had favorable reviews and was reasonably priced on sale. I have used it several times already and am delighted with the results. It picks up those downy feathers on carpets with the first sweep along with all other kinds of debris and works well on other types of surfaces too. What surprised me the most is the large amount of fiber and dust/dirt that it is picking up from the carpets that my ORECK apparently never touched! Like you, I am also hoping for the best with this Bissell.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I had a Hoover vacuum, some sort of pet oriented vac with a hepa filter, bought to deal with my birds feathers and my very long hair.

It worked quite well, except that I had to cut the hair off the rollers regularly and it was so heavy I was getting hurt hauling it out of my closet.

I sold it on Craigslist and am contenting myself with frequent vacuuming with a decent stick vacuum. It’s not as effective and I have to dump it a lot, but I don’t get hurt hauling it out. And there is no roller to wrap long hair around.

I do small areas with a dust buster which also gets dumped a lot.

I wish I had linoleum or wood floors.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
I haven't seen this one in the replies yet but I selected it for my bird's dander and feathers.. and bird messes that they create. The Shark LIFT AWAY with Pet Power Brush. This thing is NO JOKE.

Most Reactions