Very bizarre and specific self-mutilation – please help.

applefruit

Jul 15, 2022
Parrots
green cheek conure
My green cheek conure, Apple (almost 10 years old, diet: 90% harrison’s adult lifetime, 10% treats (dried/fresh fruit, seed mix, millet, nutriberries)), has been in an intense hormonal phase for the past 6-8 weeks (nest seeking/building behavior, regurgitation, humping). This has been, by far, the longest and most intense hormonal phase I have seen him go through.

Last weekend, I noticed a small open wound on his left foot. It didn’t look too serious, and I had noticed that he had shredded one of his wood perches so much that it had become splintered and rough causing his nails to sharpen on them. I assume the cut must have been inflicted while he was gripping this perch and shredding it, so I promptly removed the perch and hoped he would improve over the next few days.

The next day, his other foot was injured to a larger extent than the left foot the day before. I was puzzled as to how this could happen considering he no longer had access to the perch, but I chalked it up to having not noticed it yesterday. In any event, I resolved to take him to the vet the next morning.

Upon waking up the next morning, I noticed both of his feet were heavily wounded. I immediately took him to our regular avian vet where he was cleaned up and given antibiotics/anti-inflammatory by injection. The wounds are all external and thankfully not deep according to the vet. I was given Metacam and Silver Sulfadiazine to take home. The doctor’s intuition was that he was self-inflicting, but given that he is around us during the day non-stop and has no history of behavioral problems, I thought it was unlikely - during the day he seems normal albeit with strong hormonal behaviors.

But I became suspicious that it was happening during the night when we can’t see him, so I monitored him with a camera as he slept through the night. While he slept peacefully for a few hours, I noticed the first night after the vet that he would start getting more and more restless in the middle of the night: he would be shifting and preening more and more intensely until he reached a very nervous state. At the peak of this behavior, he would lunge at the air while making a low hissing noise, attack his own feet as if something were on them, preen very intensely (but no feather-picking) while audibly breathing/hissing (this is the most characteristic behavior of that state), and twitch his head in the same sort of manner he does when something irritates his nostrils or he is sprayed by water. This would carry on for 30 mins up to 2 hours for the next few nights, and this behavior NEVER occurs during the day. I know this because he’s literally around us the entire day as we work from home. As the sun rises and morning approaches, he completely drops this behavior. It only ever happens as he wakes from sleep in the middle of the night and only for an hour or two after that.
During these bouts, he would attempt to open up the wounds that were healing up quite well, although we intervened and managed to prevent most of the damage by distracting him or moving him around. But it’s now quite clear that the doctor was right that the wounds were initially self-inflicted at the time when he was sleeping unmonitored. After the 3rd night which saw him in this phase for 2 hours before he calmed down, I returned to the vet and explained all of this to him. His hunch is that the hormones are causing this, perhaps in the form of neuropathic pain. He doesn’t have an explanation for why this happens at that specific time. I asked him about the possibility of mites since that seems to be the only thing that is specific to that time, but he said that mites are almost unheard of in indoor birds, that it would manifest in different areas, and that it wouldn’t be solely exclusive to nights.

The doctor prescribed gabapentin (.08 ml/day). Last night, I gave it to Apple right before bedtime (7:30 PM), and he seemed to sleep through most of the night peacefully, but around 4 AM it started again. Same sort of behavior – although less focus on self-mutilation and more on general nervousness, twitching, and that bizarre preening while hissing behavior. I’ve asked the doctor if I can give him a second dose of gabapentin as the first dose may be wearing off by that time, which he approved of.

I hope that this will correct the issue, but I am truly at my wit’s end. Hours of my own research have yielded nothing quite resembling this. In any case I have read about that somewhat resembles Apple’s, there’s always a huge factor that differentiates it: either the behavior isn’t specific to a short burst at nighttime, they have other symptoms, there’s feather-picking involved, etc. I have considered mites, avian herpesvirus, PDD, and environmental, but nothing seems to make sense and the doctor doesn’t think any of them are likely. I have him in a hospital cage with almost nothing except two perches that I know can’t harm him. Nothing else has changed in his environment prior to this, and he has gone through much more stressful environmental changes just fine in the past. The only anomaly is this hormonal phase which continues to be very intense. I literally cannot give him a toy without him regurgitating on it, he cannot sit still with us on the couch anymore as he runs away under the cushions to find a nest, and any toy that can be destroyed will instantly be shredded for nest material. This morning as he was in his fit, I took him out and he immediately started prancing around in that mating sort of way (not sure if there’s a term for it) with a fluffy little mane and his tail dragging behind him.

If anyone has anything that can possibly help, I would be forever grateful. Tonight I will give him a 2nd dose of gabapentin at 4 AM as that seemed to relax him through most of the night, but I have lost so much sleep and sanity over this that I am about to go crazy. Other than the above-mentioned, his poops are great, his weight is stable, he had fecal workup done recently and everything is good. He’s super active and generally so happy. His wounds are healing well although he slightly still prefers the less wounded foot when he’s resting. But I know if I didn’t intervene at nights, he would open them all up again. Can this all be hormones and, if so, what else can I do?

Please help.
First picture: Him at the vet. Second and third picture from today, his wounds are healing well.
IMG-20220715-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20220715-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20220715-WA0002.jpg

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I’m so sorry you and your feathered friend are in this situation, and I hope other conure owners who make have experience with self mutilation or extreme hormonal episodes can chime in! In the mean time I can offer what I’ve found has helped with our amazons.

I know you said treats are only 10% of his diet, but dried fruit is very high in sugar. It sounds like he’s been eating it for the last ten years and been fine until now, but given that it seems like you guys have covered everything medically I’d try cutting that out and replacing with fresh veg and greens that are parrot safe. I’d cut back on the millet and seed too. Anything high in sugar and fat can contribute to hormonal behavior.

Harrison’s is a great pellet and it’s what we feed our birds too! It is a fortified pellet though, are you feeding the lifetime formula or the high potency? I believe the high potency has greater fat content; if that’s what he is currently eating maybe chat with the vet about switching to one of their lifetime formulas (but do it slowly!).

Here’s a pretty good article that covers diet:

I would ask about sleep but these episodes seem to happen exclusively at night so it’s not like you can force him to get more sleep! How frustrating for the poor little guy.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Poor baby! Another thought I’d have is: could he be getting something on his feet from perches or other surfaces? How about cigarette smoke or tar on your hands? Sanitizer residue on your hands? A different soap or moisturizer?

I don’t like to use hand sanitizers or some topical meds I have because I’m worried I’ll hurt my birds.

Other thought: could his feet be super dry or irritated for some reason?

Maybe the hissing is because his feet hurt or feel funny and it scares him?
Sorry if I missed anything you mentioned in your post.

Last edited:

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Just thought I'd pop in and wish you luck/hope your fid's problems can be helped! Many hugs to you and Apple!

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
"Bongo" - Green Cheek Conure
“Echo” - Indian Ringneck
"Chicken" - Sun Conure, rest in peace, my precious friend.
Do you cover his cage at night?

I am completely guessing here, so take it with that in mind, but I almost wonder if he could be having some sort of nightmare/night-fright. If it was a purely physical thing he is reacting to, I'm confused as you are why it is only happening at night, and it sounds like he's able to be distracted from the behavior with intervention.

Is arthritis any sort of issue for him? Do his feet have many different sizes of perches to grip around, versus only dowel rods? Holding his feet in the same position for so long while sleeping could be a possible trigger, based on the fact he sleeps for a while and wakes up, but again, I am purely guessing/speculating ideas here.

If you haven't tried it already, I'd be curious if keeping his cage uncovered at night, yet in a dark room so he gets good darkness for sleep, would help any. Putting him near you when you're sleeping if possible might also be a beneficial environmental change, and you'd have the potential to wake up right away if you hear him attacking himself and hissing.

When I first adopted her, I used to keep Bongo, my GCC, right next to my bed in her sleep cage because she would otherwise scream in bloody terror and get woken up by any new tiny household noise, and being near me gave her calm and flock security. I think it only took a week or two for her to sleep peacefully at night. A different circumstance certainly, but I did note that proximity to me helped her calm down.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
My green cheek conure, Apple (almost 10 years old, diet: 90% harrison’s adult lifetime, 10% treats (dried/fresh fruit, seed mix, millet, nutriberries)), has been in an intense hormonal phase for the past 6-8 weeks (nest seeking/building behavior, regurgitation, humping). This has been, by far, the longest and most intense hormonal phase I have seen him go through.

Last weekend, I noticed a small open wound on his left foot. It didn’t look too serious, and I had noticed that he had shredded one of his wood perches so much that it had become splintered and rough causing his nails to sharpen on them. I assume the cut must have been inflicted while he was gripping this perch and shredding it, so I promptly removed the perch and hoped he would improve over the next few days.

The next day, his other foot was injured to a larger extent than the left foot the day before. I was puzzled as to how this could happen considering he no longer had access to the perch, but I chalked it up to having not noticed it yesterday. In any event, I resolved to take him to the vet the next morning.

Upon waking up the next morning, I noticed both of his feet were heavily wounded. I immediately took him to our regular avian vet where he was cleaned up and given antibiotics/anti-inflammatory by injection. The wounds are all external and thankfully not deep according to the vet. I was given Metacam and Silver Sulfadiazine to take home. The doctor’s intuition was that he was self-inflicting, but given that he is around us during the day non-stop and has no history of behavioral problems, I thought it was unlikely - during the day he seems normal albeit with strong hormonal behaviors.

But I became suspicious that it was happening during the night when we can’t see him, so I monitored him with a camera as he slept through the night. While he slept peacefully for a few hours, I noticed the first night after the vet that he would start getting more and more restless in the middle of the night: he would be shifting and preening more and more intensely until he reached a very nervous state. At the peak of this behavior, he would lunge at the air while making a low hissing noise, attack his own feet as if something were on them, preen very intensely (but no feather-picking) while audibly breathing/hissing (this is the most characteristic behavior of that state), and twitch his head in the same sort of manner he does when something irritates his nostrils or he is sprayed by water. This would carry on for 30 mins up to 2 hours for the next few nights, and this behavior NEVER occurs during the day. I know this because he’s literally around us the entire day as we work from home. As the sun rises and morning approaches, he completely drops this behavior. It only ever happens as he wakes from sleep in the middle of the night and only for an hour or two after that.
During these bouts, he would attempt to open up the wounds that were healing up quite well, although we intervened and managed to prevent most of the damage by distracting him or moving him around. But it’s now quite clear that the doctor was right that the wounds were initially self-inflicted at the time when he was sleeping unmonitored. After the 3rd night which saw him in this phase for 2 hours before he calmed down, I returned to the vet and explained all of this to him. His hunch is that the hormones are causing this, perhaps in the form of neuropathic pain. He doesn’t have an explanation for why this happens at that specific time. I asked him about the possibility of mites since that seems to be the only thing that is specific to that time, but he said that mites are almost unheard of in indoor birds, that it would manifest in different areas, and that it wouldn’t be solely exclusive to nights.

The doctor prescribed gabapentin (.08 ml/day). Last night, I gave it to Apple right before bedtime (7:30 PM), and he seemed to sleep through most of the night peacefully, but around 4 AM it started again. Same sort of behavior – although less focus on self-mutilation and more on general nervousness, twitching, and that bizarre preening while hissing behavior. I’ve asked the doctor if I can give him a second dose of gabapentin as the first dose may be wearing off by that time, which he approved of.

I hope that this will correct the issue, but I am truly at my wit’s end. Hours of my own research have yielded nothing quite resembling this. In any case I have read about that somewhat resembles Apple’s, there’s always a huge factor that differentiates it: either the behavior isn’t specific to a short burst at nighttime, they have other symptoms, there’s feather-picking involved, etc. I have considered mites, avian herpesvirus, PDD, and environmental, but nothing seems to make sense and the doctor doesn’t think any of them are likely. I have him in a hospital cage with almost nothing except two perches that I know can’t harm him. Nothing else has changed in his environment prior to this, and he has gone through much more stressful environmental changes just fine in the past. The only anomaly is this hormonal phase which continues to be very intense. I literally cannot give him a toy without him regurgitating on it, he cannot sit still with us on the couch anymore as he runs away under the cushions to find a nest, and any toy that can be destroyed will instantly be shredded for nest material. This morning as he was in his fit, I took him out and he immediately started prancing around in that mating sort of way (not sure if there’s a term for it) with a fluffy little mane and his tail dragging behind him.

If anyone has anything that can possibly help, I would be forever grateful. Tonight I will give him a 2nd dose of gabapentin at 4 AM as that seemed to relax him through most of the night, but I have lost so much sleep and sanity over this that I am about to go crazy. Other than the above-mentioned, his poops are great, his weight is stable, he had fecal workup done recently and everything is good. He’s super active and generally so happy. His wounds are healing well although he slightly still prefers the less wounded foot when he’s resting. But I know if I didn’t intervene at nights, he would open them all up again. Can this all be hormones and, if so, what else can I do?

Please help.
First picture: Him at the vet. Second and third picture from today, his wounds are healing well.
View attachment 42137View attachment 42138View attachment 42139
I wonder if this has anything to do with night fright, since you said the behavior is only at night. One of my budgies, Tina, was ripping at her feet at night because she was free-roam around our house during the day with access to her cage whenever she pleased from an open door. At night however, from 9pm to 9am, she was locked up so she could sleep. She would hang upside down on her age and flap her wings, burble, and pull the skin off her feet. Now she takes ThatPetCure CBD oil before bed and we got her a 4 ft by 4ft cage and she cooled down. Good luck with Apple, I hope you both feel better soon.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Last year I pinched a nerve in my neck and I was prescribed gabapentin to make the inflammation of the nerve go down. I got up to three 300mg pills a day felt awful mentally and had to ween myself off it. It really did make me feel nasty. I think In even stronger doses it is used to treat depression.
Get well soon Apple!!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Last year I pinched a nerve in my neck and I was prescribed gabapentin to make the inflammation of the nerve go down. I got up to three 300mg pills a day felt awful mentally and had to ween myself off it. It really did make me feel nasty. I think In even stronger doses it is used to treat depression.
Get well soon Apple!!!
I tried gabapentin in large doses to treat migraines. It made me feel like I had a concussion. I was so zonked that I went for PT and the nurse took me to ER.

It’s better than chewing his feet off but it does have side effects. Not supposed to affect IQ but it made ME feel like an idiot…

Poor bird. I hope you both feel better.

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Green Bean -Male Eclectus adopted 8/27/17 (6 months old)
Has your bird been tested for avian bornavirus and avian ganlglioneuritis (which can be caused by avian bornavirus as well as other things)? My eclectus had started plucking and was 80% naked. I took him to the vet for a checkup not thinking anything was seriously wrong, but the vet noticed he seemed to be plucking in a much more frenzied way than a lot of other birds who pluck. He tested him for both of these conditions, and he was positive for both, with a formal diagnosis of avian bornaviral ganglioneuritis. He said birds with this condition often have neurological symptoms that make them very uncomfortable so they pluck or self mutilate. I found a paper about this disease online, and it showed photos of a bird with the condition that had mutiliated its legs. This condition can worsen with hormonal fluctuations. The tests are AGA serology and ABV PCR test. There are many birds with avian bornavirus who are healthy and who do not develop avian ganglioneuritis. Unfortunately for my guy this was not the case. He almost died due to a secondary problem caused by the avian ganglioneuritis while he was at the vet. He is doing very well now, though, on oral celecoxib! Also, you may want to request either a 2nd opinion from another board-certified avian vet or your vet can do a consultation with another vet about Apple's symptoms. https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803 "Note: Dipl and ABVP indicate the member is a board certified diplomate in the specialty indicated."

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Did anybody offer a vet-link yet? Here's one. For second opinions or hotlines or ideas...
Good luck!!!!

In case you need a link to profssional veterinary help...
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.
Or... sometimes I find a place to start just by Googling "avian veterinarian near ((your location))"

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Green Bean -Male Eclectus adopted 8/27/17 (6 months old)
Did anybody offer a vet-link yet? Here's one. For second opinions or hotlines or ideas...
Good luck!!!!

Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
Or... sometimes I find a place to start just by Googling "avian veterinarian near ((your location))"
Thank you, I just posted this link as well but glad you have it as a separate comment so that is clearly visible. Just to note the AAV website specifies, ""Note: Dipl and ABVP indicate the member is a board certified diplomate in the specialty indicated."" These vets will have some of the best training.

Dani08

Nov 9, 2016
Good luck!!!!

Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
I just have to say...everyone on here is WONDERFUL and my very best to you and Apple!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Other than agreeing with others here, I might suggest a little bit of mineral oil rubbed on his feet. Just a bit because he'll lick it off, and too much can have a laxative effect. I've soothed a number of birds' feet with this. Good for dry feet, mites, and minor foot injuries.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Actually I keep hearing how coconut oil is moisturizing and somewhat antibacterial. That might be a good thing.

How is your baby?

AppleFan

Jul 15, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure - Apple
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have read them all, even if I do not specifically acknowledge them here, and thoroughly considered and discussed all possibilities with his vet.

Apple has seen a new avian vet, and his case has become a puzzle. This vet has consulted with some very prominent avian experts since nothing really makes sense about this case.

Here are the developments and/or updates to previous observations:

1) Apple's wounds have almost completely healed, but this is mainly the result of my wife and I taking shifts watching him at night on a camera, and intervening when he starts getting nervous.

2) Apple shows no problems during the day or evening (perhaps some extra grooming, but given all of the stress of the vets and ordeal of the past 2 weeks along with our hypersensitivity to new symptoms, this might be completely normal.

3) At night, between 2-4 hours after falling asleep peacefully, Apple will wake up. As he is in his hospital cage still, he usually sleeps hanging off the cage bars. He will move to a perch where he will start grooming. If this is allowed to continue, it will become increasingly frantic until he self-mutilates.

4) If we intervene, it stops either instantly or a few minutes after holding him. Even so, after putting him back in his cage, it may happen again later in the night. Needless to say, this has significantly disrupted his sleep schedule.

5) Besides nighttime, the only other time we have seen this behavior is in the early morning, shortly after he wakes up.

6) He is still consistently hormonal - feeding, nest seeking, humping. To answer someone else's question, we have tried allowing and discouraging said behavior. Nothing seems to stop it.

Here are the procedures the vet has done or will do in the near future:

1) AGAA is pending to test for ganglioneuritis

2) X-ray shows increased volume in the gonad area. This could either be an engorged testi, or a tumor. This is consistent with his hormonal behavior, but the question is did his hormones cause the engorged testi or did the tumor increase his hormones? Everything else looked normal on the X-ray.

3) Blood chemistry didn't show anything definitive: Elevated AST which would be significant by itself, but elevated creatine kinase along with it suggests inflammation, probably from the mutilation per the vet.

4) DNA sexing is pending to further narrow the previous issue. More than likely, Apple is male since we have not seen an egg in 10+ years, but the vet wants confirmation.

5) The next step will probably be a CT, and perhaps a hormonal injection in the near future. I have a consult with Dr Nemetz on Tuesday to get his opinion as well. Skin biopsy of his leg and gram stain will probably also be done.

Current theories, in no specific order, although nothing seems to fit given the tendency of the problem to only appear at night:

1) Avian Ganglioneuritis: but why only at night?

2) The teste/mass pushing on his sciatic nerve. But this usually presents as lameness, and usually in one leg. Apple mutilates and stomps his feet like he is being attacked at nights, and during the day his legs are very strong. So how? We considered that there is something about his sleeping position that differentiates how he is during the day vs night. But one night he slept on a perch very similar to how he sits on a perch during the day, and the same effect happened.

3) Mites. Almost everything fits about mites, including the exclusivity to nighttime. The problem: there are no mites. We have checked multiple nights after putting white paper at the bottom of his cage. Is there anything similar to mites that can't be seen by the naked eye? Also, if mites, why does taking him out calm him down?

4) Atherosclerosis. This seems unlikely according to the vet. If this were the issue, the problem would get worse upon activity. Apple is always at his best when he is active - it's his inactivity that spurs the issue.

5) Psychological. Again, why only at nights, and why after 10 years of no behavioral problems with no recent changes at all?

To answer a few questions:

1) No one in the household smokes
2) His Harrison's pellet is Adult Lifetime.
3) He usually sleeps alone, but since this ordeal we have tried having him sleep in our room as well. This does not seem to make a difference. We have also tried leaving his cage uncovered. Again, nothing.

Attached is a video of the most intense session of his mutilation behavior that was recorded. This was in the early morning Potentially NSFW/disturbing.

Please continue to share input and opinions. We may finally get some sleep thanks to one of you. Thank you.

Attachments

• Mutilation.mp4
    4.3 MB

AppleFan

Jul 15, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure - Apple
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have read them all, even if I do not specifically acknowledge them here, and thoroughly considered and discussed all possibilities with his vet.

Apple has seen a new avian vet, and his case has become a puzzle. This vet has consulted with some very prominent avian experts since nothing really makes sense about this case.

Here are the developments and/or updates to previous observations:

1) Apple's wounds have almost completely healed, but this is mainly the result of my wife and I taking shifts watching him at night on a camera, and intervening when he starts getting nervous.

2) Apple shows no problems during the day or evening (perhaps some extra grooming, but given all of the stress of the vets and ordeal of the past 2 weeks along with our hypersensitivity to new symptoms, this might be completely normal.

3) At night, between 2-4 hours after falling asleep peacefully, Apple will wake up. As he is in his hospital cage still, he usually sleeps hanging off the cage bars. He will move to a perch where he will start grooming. If this is allowed to continue, it will become increasingly frantic until he self-mutilates.

4) If we intervene, it stops either instantly or a few minutes after holding him. Even so, after putting him back in his cage, it may happen again later in the night. Needless to say, this has significantly disrupted his sleep schedule.

5) Besides nighttime, the only other time we have seen this behavior is in the early morning, shortly after he wakes up.

6) He is still consistently hormonal - feeding, nest seeking, humping. To answer someone else's question, we have tried allowing and discouraging said behavior. Nothing seems to stop it.

Here are the procedures the vet has done or will do in the near future:

1) AGAA is pending to test for ganglioneuritis

2) X-ray shows increased volume in the gonad area. This could either be an engorged testi, or a tumor. This is consistent with his hormonal behavior, but the question is did his hormones cause the engorged testi or did the tumor increase his hormones? Everything else looked normal on the X-ray.

3) Blood chemistry didn't show anything definitive: Elevated AST which would be significant by itself, but elevated creatine kinase along with it suggests inflammation, probably from the mutilation per the vet.

4) DNA sexing is pending to further narrow the previous issue. More than likely, Apple is male since we have not seen an egg in 10+ years, but the vet wants confirmation.

5) The next step will probably be a CT, and perhaps a hormonal injection in the near future. I have a consult with Dr Nemetz on Tuesday to get his opinion as well. Skin biopsy of his leg and gram stain will probably also be done.

Current theories, in no specific order, although nothing seems to fit given the tendency of the problem to only appear at night:

1) Avian Ganglioneuritis: but why only at night?

2) The teste/mass pushing on his sciatic nerve. But this usually presents as lameness, and usually in one leg. Apple mutilates and stomps his feet like he is being attacked at nights, and during the day his legs are very strong. So how? We considered that there is something about his sleeping position that differentiates how he is during the day vs night. But one night he slept on a perch very similar to how he sits on a perch during the day, and the same effect happened.

3) Mites. Almost everything fits about mites, including the exclusivity to nighttime. The problem: there are no mites. We have checked multiple nights after putting white paper at the bottom of his cage. Is there anything similar to mites that can't be seen by the naked eye? Also, if mites, why does taking him out calm him down?

4) Atherosclerosis. This seems unlikely according to the vet. If this were the issue, the problem would get worse upon activity. Apple is always at his best when he is active - it's his inactivity that spurs the issue.

5) Psychological. Again, why only at nights, and why after 10 years of no behavioral problems with no recent changes at all?

To answer a few questions:

1) No one in the household smokes
2) His Harrison's pellet is Adult Lifetime.
3) He usually sleeps alone, but since this ordeal we have tried having him sleep in our room as well. This does not seem to make a difference. We have also tried leaving his cage uncovered. Again, nothing.

Attached is a video of the most intense session of his mutilation behavior that was recorded. This was in the early morning Potentially NSFW/disturbing.

Please continue to share input and opinions. We may finally get some sleep thanks to one of you. Thank you.
Forgot to mention, this is another member of the household posting.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m glad you’ve taken this seriously and gotten Apple worked up so thoroughly. Thanks for answering a couple of my questions. I really hope you can resolve this for Apples sake because it sounds miserable. Poor poor boy. I hate to see a bird suffer.

One really wacky suggestion even though you are asking so many good questions: could he be having nightmares, that somehow confuse him and make him lash out at whatever he can reach (his feet)? There are meds for people nightmares. (I had a Quaker years ago who would bite her foot if she hit a pin feather when she scratched her head. Then she’d get upset because someone was biting her foot. Logic is not the same on bird planet.)

Thanks for being so careful with Apple and not just doping him up because he’s doing a disturbing behavior.

Last edited:

Gardeninggirl

May 3, 2015
Parrots
Cockatoo, Amazon, cockatiel and a red rump
Nocturnal epilepsy? In humans the seizure/fit can be short bursts of repetitive behaviour (rather than full unconsciousness and shaking) and can occur only at night. Gabapentin is anti epileptic and so might have helped. The other thing is, if the cause remains a mystery, a sedative at night to try and get him to sleep through until morning might help. Maybe a higher dose of the gabapentin? (BTW I am a human doctor, not a vet.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts