Red eyes

Hanzo1

Nov 21, 2022
Parrots
Hanzo ~9 Months
Hey everyone! This is my first time posting here.
I have a Cockatiel (Hanzo) for about 2 months and he was alone for this time and I planned on getting him a companion as soon as he was trained enough to listen to me and the command I gave him. He is a young healthy bird and I got him from a breeder from around my area.

Today I got him a companion from the same breeder because Hanzo still is healthy and never had problems so I trusted him. I chose a bird there and he put him in my transport box so I couldn't really take a closer look and drove home. Now I put him in his cage while Hanzo is outside and I discover that his eyes around his pupils are deeply red almost black and he squints his eyes. While he was eating from the bowl he was squining really hard and almost fell asleep but as soon as Hanzo calls to him he is all energized again. I've attached a picture, can someone tell me what this might be?
I don't want to put Hanzos health into risk by putting him in the same cage and possibly intecting him with some unkown disease :( Please can someone give me some more information?

Attachments

• 20221121_175644.jpg
    20221121_175644.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20221121_175702.jpg
    20221121_175702.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 41

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forums!

I think your instincts are right to be worried. Do you have a vet yet?

Is there any way you can keep your new parrot in a separate room for now? The big thing I would want to know is whether your new parrot has a respiratory infection, because that could be passed easily to Honzo.

I definitely wouldn't put them in the same cage.

If you're able to keep the new bird in a separate room, make sure you always clean and feed Honzo first before going into the new bird's room. Then wash your hands really well (I change my clothes too).

My first parrot had an infection when I brought him home and he was a lot sicker than he acted.

Here's a link to our list of avian vets -
https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/avian-vet-resources.93159/

Good luck and again, welcome! I think it's great you have Honzo's safety in mind!

OP
H

Hanzo1

Nov 21, 2022
Parrots
Hanzo ~9 Months
Welcome to the forums!

I think your instincts are right to be worried. Do you have a vet yet?

Is there any way you can keep your new parrot in a separate room for now? The big thing I would want to know is whether your new parrot has a respiratory infection, because that could be passed easily to Honzo.

I definitely wouldn't put them in the same cage.

If you're able to keep the new bird in a separate room, make sure you always clean and feed Honzo first before going into the new bird's room. Then wash your hands really well (I change my clothes too).

My first parrot had an infection when I brought him home and he was a lot sicker than he acted.

Here's a link to our list of avian vets -
https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/avian-vet-resources.93159/

Good luck and again, welcome! I think it's great you have Honzo's safety in mind!
Thanks for the quick answer!
Sadly I don't have a seperate cage and I usually never let Hanzo sleep outside his cage. His breathing seems normal and he doesn't have problems flying. I really don't want to force any of the both to spend time in a transport box because of the obvious little space.

I haven't been to a vet yet because Hanzo never gave me a reason to visit one so I haven't conatacted any. I live in Austria and the vets here usually charge 130€ the hour which is another reason I haven't thought about visiting one but I think will have to now that the health of the new one is concerning ..

I contacted the breeder and he said that it can happen because he keeps his cockatiels outside and dust and other debris can get into the eyes of the birds.

The main concern I have right now isn't his behaviour because he just had to endure a rough car ride in the dark which would explain the withdrawn character right now. The main concern is his eyes and I will contact a vet if his condition doesn't get better until tomorrow morning.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
From my research.
It seems like Conjunctivitis is a common eye disorder caused by bacteria
Here's some info I found on the internet
Conjunctivitis, a common eye disorder, is usually caused by bacteria and can be identified as red and swollen eyelids, and may lead to photosensitivity (avoidance of light) in the bird. Conjunctivitis is also a symptom of many other medical problems, including respiratory infections.( credit to PetMd)

Conjunctivitis can resolve itself, but in some cases it can progress to more serious conditions and even result in blindness if not treated.” Just like conjunctivitis in humans, “avian” conjunctivitis is very contagious and easily spread throughout the bird world.( credit to tate record)

Most Reactions