Kaytana22

Apr 25, 2021
Media
Albums
Alabama Sir
Parrots
Cockatiel, Budgie, GCC
Hello again,

My baby GCC is refusing her formula, now she is eating seeds, veggies and will play with the pellets. I am not really wanting to get her started on seeds tbh but she only is just playing with her pellets.

The issue is that she is refusing all but a few bites of her formula. I do not know why, she is playful and running around but it seems that her crop is empty and I have not seen her drink any water that I am aware of, however I have seen bits of food in it, not sure if shes actually drinking it or just washing her beak in it.

I do not know if I am just being paranoid or not, but in the morning after that long 8 hour wait for formula she will only eat a few spoons and then just run off to play and explore. Almost like I myself am the distraction of her eating. I do keep fresh water, pellets and seed in her dish at all times. She is fully feathered now so maybe I am just not seeing the crop? I feel it though and it does seem empty. Should I be concerned because she's not acting lethargic or dehydrated at all. I did see her dip her head in the water dish but I am again not sure if she actually drank anything or not. I know you are not supposed to feed baby birds water w/o it being thickened by formula. She is five weeks and one day old today. Is this normal for that age for a GCC?

Many Thanks!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the wonderful transition period for the next several weeks you offer and somethings they will eat with vast interest and other times not much at all. When they refuse feeding for at least two weeks straight your almost done. Understand they may revert back to formula.

OP
Kaytana22

Kaytana22

Apr 25, 2021
Media
Albums
Alabama Sir
Parrots
Cockatiel, Budgie, GCC
Ok, so your saying that this is normal and just keep trying to offer different things? Along with the formula of course. I guess as long as she is taking in some that things will be ok. As she is eating other things its mainly the water intake that I am most concerned with. However I do notice that she is not eating a full crops worth. Is that normal as well?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
What you are doing is called abundance weaning and its the preferred method for all parrots. What is happening is very natural. Continue to offer formula at each feeding but never force it.

OP
Kaytana22

Kaytana22

Apr 25, 2021
Media
Albums
Alabama Sir
Parrots
Cockatiel, Budgie, GCC
Ok good to know :) Thanks! Here is a video link of my baby GCC from 2wks to now:

[ame="https://youtu.be/c6WNV5zg78s"]Star Candy the GCC - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions

Latest posts