Regression Question and Update on Rosemary

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
"Rosemary" Red-and-green macaw (Ara chloropterus)
Hello everyone.
I am sorry I have been gone from the forum for so long. I have been avoiding computer time lately in favor of farm time. Rosemary is doing amazing! She often spend the day with me while I am working outside either on my shoulder or in a nearby tree. By my guess she is about 10 months old now.

So here is my question. She weaned a while ago, to the point she wasn't interested in hand feeding any more. I kept trying just in case but eventually gave up. She has been crazy energetic and curious. Then suddenly a few days ago, out of the blue, she starts acting like a baby again, very subdued, wing flicking, and making soft noises. She was acting like she wanted to be hand fed again. So I made a blend to hand feed her and she guzzled it down. Immediately she went back to her normal self, goofing off and making noise again. So yesterday and today we are back to hand feeding. She is still eating a lot on her own too. It is the same routine now, she starts acting like a baby bird, I hand feed her, then she goes back to normal. Is this kind of regression normal? Otherwise she seems healthy. Her overall appetite is up so she must be growing or something.

Side note, it is really cool living in her native habitat. I can send her up trees to forage for the local fruits and seeds the wild parrots eat! Also, I notice the local parrots and toucans will hang out a lot closer to me when she is with me. It seems they realize I am not a threat when she is around.

Attachments

• DSC_5728.jpg
    DSC_5728.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_5754.jpg
    DSC_5754.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 57

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have read about regression in human babies and I don’t see why this would not happen in parrot babies as well. 10 months is not really so old for your macaw.

I might get worried if she started looking unwell or in poor condition but if she appears in good flesh, maybe she’s had some sort of scare or other setback and just needs some spoiling.

Your photos of Rosemary are beautiful. She has such an expressive face.

OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
I have read about regression in human babies and I don’t see why this would not happen in parrot babies as well. 10 months is not really so old for your macaw.

I might get worried if she started looking unwell or in poor condition but if she appears in good flesh, maybe she’s had some sort of scare or other setback and just needs some spoiling.

Your photos of Rosemary are beautiful. She has such an expressive face.
They do seem to have a lot of similarities to human babies for sure. It doesn't totally surprise me but still weird seeing her act like a baby again. What is extra weird how fast she goes from looking like a baby to an adult after hand feeding her. She just seems to need lots of snuggles right now for some reason. She totally had a ball getting soaked playing with the hose today.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If you think about it, their lifespans are comparable to humans. And we know that when toddlers get stressed they act more babyish, wanting to be comforted.

Rosemary is a gorgeous baby bird.

OP
JayInTheJungle

JayInTheJungle

Mar 6, 2022
Bolivia
Parrots
If you think about it, their lifespans are comparable to humans. And we know that when toddlers get stressed they act more babyish, wanting to be comforted.

Rosemary is a gorgeous baby bird.
I'm just not sure what she is stressed about. The weather has been odd. That or maybe she is picking up on my stress levels which are unusually high right now.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That might be it. Or any little thing going on in her life. Any change that you might think is minor she might think is a really big deal.

I know that older parrot chicks are sometimes fed by mom or dad as if for reassurance. As long as Rosemary appears well, and is eating mostly on her own, I wouldn’t worry about it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Regression to wanting formula is totally OK and nothing to get stressed about. IN fact its a good idea to offer it once in a while even well past weaning, becasue if you ever need to get meds in her, mixing w/formula and being taken greedily is a sure bet that it all gets in her.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
At 10 months , my understanding is wild babies would still be getting an accosional feed from parents unto a year and a half or so.

Plus her development was stunned from lack of proper nutrition early on. Which is. Very much linked to delayed development.

Excellent in picking up on her need. And so thrilled you didn't decide to clip.

So I see no problem. I think you should plan on once a day supplement feed for the next 3 months , unless completely rejected.

Thank you for the update

Most Reactions