SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yup!!! She is clearly a DYH Amazon right down to the toenails! :D

Lord is she small!

Assure you get a copy of her visitation findings! Easy to forget and what is on it is just as easy to forget.

Huge Warm Amazon Hugs and Prayers!

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
Lima (black capped caique), Tambo (scarlet macaw), Ringo (red fronted macaw), Richard (eclectus), Carina (b&g macaw), Ebony (African Grey), Zeke (red lored zon), Bonfire (DYH zon)
So I got about one big syringe in her of Kaytee formula. She actually seemed to want it. We are taking a break now and will repeat in an hour or so. She’s now perched in my great room by a fire.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Perfect!!! I dud about every 2 hours on my critical burd.

You do want to make sure the crop is empting, it doesn't have to be empty like a baby. So what I did, I weighed her before feeding and after feeding. 1ml is about 1 gram. Then weigh right before next feeding, her weight should come down a few grams.

I had a much smaller burd who weighed 100 grams. After I feed her she would weigh 107 because she took 7ml. When I went to feed her again she would weigh 104 ish.. by the end of the day she would be aroubdc110-115, then by the next morning back to 100. For me it took a few days before she truly gained weight. The true weight is the first weight in the morning taken just after first big poop. If yiu have questions please ask.

To me she look 50-100 grams under weight...but I'm not Amazon person, but I hacevwirjed with a lot of sick birds.
She also looks stunted, from poor care as a baby. Bless her.
I'm sure she has low vitamin A levels. Don't give added vitamin tho it will hurt her liver. She will get vitamin in the baby bird formula . But try and get her to eat warm cooked sweet potatoes, cooked carrots, and see if she will eat yellow bell pepper. Eggs have vitamin E and B I think, so they are good to offer. Sick burds I let eat whatever ever they want, but I try to get the good stuff in them. In the morning after yiu feed her, she will likely go and try to eat some on her own too, so have those things ready to offer. It seem weird I know but after feeding the formula mine would go and chow some on her own.

Try and do everything thevssnecwsy. I set up a station. Minecwoukd only eat out of one kind of syringe, and I had to hold the same way. I would also bob my head before feeding. Making a routine. Useing ssne words, doing things things the same way , will make everything easier, and her calmer, especially when starts feeling better.
Even when she feels better yiu can keep up one or 2 feeding until she is normal weight.
Warmth is very very important.

I can't tell for sure but tge inside of her nostril looks red. She could have a sinus infection, with her diet and low vitamin A levels that's very likely. She doesn't have to have draining. As tgey usually have a dry abcess. She could probably benefit from. You running a humidifier. I put mine sboutv2 feet from their cage. This will help her . They are a jungle bird after all.

She looks starved enough to have altered mental state...so as you get food in her her behavior will change.

Edit: do NOT give her a shower. She is too week!! It takes way to many calories to warm up and dry . Wait till she is much better. I would wait till she choose to take a bath in a big shallow dish. Usually sick burds will avoid getting wet till they feel better.

Last edited:
OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
Lima (black capped caique), Tambo (scarlet macaw), Ringo (red fronted macaw), Richard (eclectus), Carina (b&g macaw), Ebony (African Grey), Zeke (red lored zon), Bonfire (DYH zon)
We just did another syringe which again she seemed to want once we got going with it. I’m just going to keep this up until our appointment tomorrow, maybe add in a syringe of pellets and veggies.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Great!! Get that car warm / hot, wrap her cage well no chills on tgey way to and from the vet!! Keep us updated we are rooting for you

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
She is not feeling well. Going for another syringe now, this time blended with applesauce. How many syringes should I try at one sitting? Syringe is 10 ml but plenty runs out.

Upg2R6L.jpg

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
She has probably had enough for now. Syart again in the morning. Make it thicker now. I csn only guess for your size bird. 10-20 at time. But I thi k you've given enough for the first day. Her crop looks full. I'd stop for the night. And no need to do applesauce. Just stick with the formula.
Try and dry her off
I worry about chronic zinc toxicity, with that metal stuff....
However are her poop? Csn yiu share a pic?
She needs to rest.
Lordy, the poop i can see is scant she was starving. Thst one poop that has wood chips in it, did she pass thst??? Or was she shreddering stuff? But I'd still wait till morning for more . She needs to sleep.

Last edited:
OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
She hasn’t pooped since this morning that I’m aware of.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
ugh.....
Well I just wouldn't over do it tonight. She needs to sleep, sbd time to digest. Keep her warm
Start again first thing 7 am, make thicker not runny, thick yogurt like and try every 2 and half hours or so. Check weight or crop to make sure it's moving.

Was that stuff something she passed??? Cuz ud worry impaction if she passed that chewed up stuff.
Change the pappers so yiu can see any new poops. I'm pray for you.

You may need to lay down thick towels if she becomes unable to perch.
You dint want to over stress her and exhaust her tonight

That metal rusted bowl trash it tomorrow, get a new one. . And when she is at vet have someone clean the cage real good. But dont bother her tonight

Yiu hsve to start slow with starvation, like she seems to be...

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is avian emaciated protocol..
Sorry it's bit late ...I just didn't realize at first that possibly this burd had been starved for awhile..
Avian Emaciation Protocol

I'm sooo worried, I can't imagine how you are. But try not to let her know ok? Be strong!@ dont let her feel your stress. And you gotta keep her warm , abd sleep undisturbed

Last edited:
OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
I've never been so concerned for an animal in my care. I've never lost a parrot and none of them have died with me. I'm pretty upset about the whole situation. The woman who gave her to me has no excuse for whatever is going on. We live in a small community. Not quite sure what to say. She should have known better but acts like....I plan on calling her tomorrow while I'm with the vet to get more history. Feeling pretty disgusted and sad.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I can only imagine...
You really need to see if thst stuff under her was passed in her poop. A starved burd might eat wood to try sbd stay alive, or she she has a habit of that and might have a partial blockage, or metal poisoning has her mind messed up and she ate none food stuff.....or my hope is that junk just fell in her poop sbd didn't come from inside her.... your vet will need to know if she passed that in her poop.

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
She didn't eat the wood; she chewed a toy overnight on Monday night, her first night here. I changed the paper a couple hours ago but plan to put a towel down there overnight. She is resting now and her crop does look full. Thanks for all your kindness and prayers Laurasea. Hopefully tomorrow night I will have more joyful news.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Your vet probably sells emeraid, ask if he wants to switch to that, its made fir sick birds and is a prescription food. I haven't used it in a long time ...so I can't tell you of its better, but it is for sick birds.

So glad she didn't pass that. I want good news tomorrow!! And a stronger girl!!

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
So our girl is a bit stronger today. She passed poop with a little more solid center, still very green. I definitely saw her crunching a few things from her bowl. She’s still very still and quiet and hunched down. She’s had about 2.5 syringes today. I’m trying to decide if I should give her more before we leave for the vet - it’s about an hour and a half drive. Thoughts?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes give more, maybe only 10 ml.
And as soon as you get home and she seems settled give more again.
Good luck at vet!!
Take dome with you so you can mix up if you get delayed.
Take peanut butter, or cut up apples for her to snack on on the way home. Really really baby her and ctreat her carefully. She is very fragile right now.

Pick up one of these if you can, or the sweeter heater. Really extra warmth is soooo important. Keep that car way warmer than is comfortable for you
https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-produc...-0V6Xs5Rqbh21sEMagcIk8xys0TceDDkaAgm3EALw_wcB

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm thinking she wouldn't have lasted with out you feeding her.. im so thrilled she made it overnight!! I will be anxiously awaiting you post vet update. Wishing you safe travels , and good news. Or at least treatable

OP
N

NikiBA

Feb 24, 2021
Iowa
Parrots
She’s in with the vet. I’m waiting outside. Felt sick to my stomach all the way here. Thank you again for your kindness and prayers.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm hanging on your every post!! And I'm a quaker girl not an Amazon person.
BTW what is her name?

Most Reactions