Remembering Maverick

firstknight117

Apr 28, 2021
Not the way I ever planned on introducing myself in this forum, but I need to do this. I just wanted to add my voice here because our 3-year-old green cheek conure, Maverick passed away yesterday. He seemed a bit tired and dizzy the day before, but yesterday he went into severe illness with all the symptoms of a very bad virus and lasted about 10 hours. We tried giving him some nutrients with an eyedropper and the little guy tried until the very end. After his last few drops, he put his head down and he was gone.

The local avian vet yesterday was too busy to see him and we might have gotten him in there today on an emergency basis, but even then the vet said they weren't sure. Having said that, this virus (or whatever it was) was so vicious I'm not sure the vet could have done anything anyway.

I don't want a necropsy but I understand why it's sometimes suggested.

He was my best friend and my whole family (wife, daughter, and son) all loved him. We're all mourning him. He bonded with me early on so not only have I lost him but the bond was ripped out as well. I can't describe the grief (it's still too overwhelming) but I imagine those of you who have already been through this can understand.

If we ever start over, maybe with adoption, I will be committed to giving our new friend the best nutrition and safety (and love!) I possibly can.

I just wanted to add that if anyone does need to vent their grief about their loss, I'm happy to listen because I understand.

26152d1619640498-remembering-maverick-cwii4j9asyqvtegi46tmva.jpg

:gcc:
Missing Maverick, Always
August 2018 - April 2021

Attachments

• cWIi4J9aSyqvTEGi46tmvA.jpg
    cWIi4J9aSyqvTEGi46tmvA.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited by a moderator:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the Forums firstknight117, although I am very sorry it is under these terrible circumstances. Unfortunately I understand your devastation only too well, having lost my green cheek under somewhat similar circumstances back in 2018 - so many of us here have been impacted by a sudden and premature loss like this and we definitely get it and you have come to the right place. It was the compassion, empathy and fellowship I found among this community that helped me get through it and I hope we can provide the same for you and your family.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, beautiful Maverick, until we all meet again.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
We definitely understand. I'm sorry for your loss, its not easy to go through.

They hide how sick they are as long as they can . Having a digital kitchen scale abd weigh burd weekly. As often weight loss is the first early symptom, and catching things early makes all the difference. For reference, 3% of body weight loss see a vet. 5% or more get in quickly as sane day or next day. 10% or more you probably will have to support feed baby bird formula, thicker than babies take, and adults can only handle small volumes.

My GCC Burt The Burd, hide how sick she was. I had no idea. I fed her treats went outside, came back and she had passed. Leaving Ta-dah very grief stricken as well.

I hadn't joined the forum yet, so I had no idea about checking weights. Joining the forum paid off hugely. As learning about weight checks , helped save my whole flock, allowing me to catch a psittacosis outbreak.

One day you will find the parrot who needs you. And you will have this wonderful forum as a resource, or just to share your journey

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome and I am so sorry for your loss. Parrots are so special.
Thank you for joining and again, welcome.

This is the less pleasant part of what I want to say, and please don't take it as insensitive-- If you still have your bird, a vet could do a necroscopy and determine the cause of death. They hide illness and are so sensitive to fumes from non-stick pans (or many other appliances coated in ptfe/pfoa/pfcs, air fresheners etc. If you are able to get a necroscopy, you may find some closure in knowing what went wrong (whether it was genetic, disease related or something environmental)

If that is not a possibility, I am sorry for mentioning it, and I hope you stick around to be part of this awesome community full of really knowledgeable people. I learn stuff all of the time, and I never thought I'd ever be so active on any forum, let alone a parrot forum!

It's a great place for sharing your struggles, quirks, interests, successes, prepping for birds etc etc.

Again, I hope things get easier with time, and as you already know, knowledge is power! We can't know what we don't know, but we all are here trying to learn from each other.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for your loss of Maverick. Thank you for joining and offering sympathies for others similarly grieving. Those of us who have loved and lost keenly feel searing pain and despair. In time, Maverick's bright memories will bring comfort and loving remembrance.

OP
F

firstknight117

Apr 28, 2021
Thanks to everyone for your advice and condolences. It's hard to explain bonding with a conure to the outside world which doesn't understand how amazing birds are. I really look forward to learning and supporting this community.

Thanks again!

:gcc:

Most Reactions

Latest posts