Remove band?

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
Conure: Edward Van Halen (Hatched 03.2022)
My Eddie came with an ID band on his leg.
Am I supposed to take this band off? I'm afraid as he grows it will become too tight?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The band, if properly sized should not become too tight. That said, it is very possible for the band to become caught and in the struggle to free itself, you Parrot maybe come injured or worst.

NOTE: Bands are used for inventory control by breeders and pet stores only. They are not proof of ownership as they can be easily removed and replaced by individuals that steal /sell Parrots on the black market.

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
The band, if properly sized should not become too tight. That said, it is very possible for the band to become caught and in the struggle to free itself, you Parrot maybe come injured or worst.

NOTE: Bands are used for inventory control by breeders and pet stores only. They are not proof of ownership as they can be easily removed and replaced by individuals that steal /sell Parrots on the black market.
Do you know how to remove it or is that something for a vet to take care of?

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I had Albies removed after he got it caught on a toy . Thankfully i was sat next to him and husband was home to help me get him unstuck . If we wernt home , he would have most likely hurt himself.

Because albies was stainless steel and not aluminium, he had to be gassed down (sedated) to have it removed. While he was under ,i had him microchipped (using a mini/nano chip thats half the size of a standard microchip)so i have a way of proving hes mine should he ever escape or get stolen .

OP
lgallagher

lgallagher

Oct 16, 2022
Media
Parrots
I had Albies removed after he got it caught on a toy . Thankfully i was sat next to him and husband was home to help me get him unstuck . If we wernt home , he would have most likely hurt himself.

Because albies was stainless steel and not aluminium, he had to be gassed down (sedated) to have it removed. While he was under ,i had him microchipped (using a mini/nano chip thats half the size of a standard microchip)so i have a way of proving hes mine should he ever escape or get stolen .
Having him chipped is a great idea, I didn't even know they did that for birds.
Thanks again!

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Having him chipped is a great idea, I didn't even know they did that for birds.
Thanks again!
Yep , although im not sure if they do it all over the world , but in the uk, they can chip birds as small as 60g because of the smaller chip size . Most vets prefer to have the bird sedated when they are smaller.

Most Reactions

Latest posts