!!Rescue macaw!! Need advice!!

Dinochicken

Nov 5, 2021
Parrots
Macaw Indian ringneck and cockatiel
I have a rescue macaw who is 8 got her when she was 7 and the home she was in mistreated her, she would get yelled at her beak flicked when she bit and so on. She's a very sweet bird though and loves attention loves to be pet and on you, but she bites without warning and I'm talking about the bites where I have to pry her beak off, she also mouths but very hard not breaking skin, but it does hurt. How can I get her to stop doing this?? I feel bad because she wants me to hold her so bad but I am not comfortable with that so instead I use a Tperch. Her diet is fresh foods and nuts, gets 12 hours of sleep, no touching on wings back etc. Target trained, knows how to step up, has a lot of toys and I mean a lot.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If she is somewhat bonded to you, try the shunning method. Any time she bites ( and you are certain it is not your fault), IMMEDIATELY place her on a nearby chair back. Turn your back to her, for 1 minute, no peeking , no talking about her, nothing. Then you can re-engage. This is how parrots in the wild chastise unruly members of the flock. BE consistent! Be immediate! Be patient!

OP
D

Dinochicken

Nov 5, 2021
Parrots
Macaw Indian ringneck and cockatiel
If she is somewhat bonded to you, try the shunning method. Any time she bites ( and you are certain it is not your fault), IMMEDIATELY place her on a nearby chair back. Turn your back to her, for 1 minute, no peeking , no talking about her, nothing. Then you can re-engage. This is how parrots in the wild chastise unruly members of the flock. BE consistent! Be immediate! Be patient!
Thank you!! Definitely going to try this! Another thing if she gets too scared of something in her environment whether it be a noise or item she will bite me, do I do the same thing for that too?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That is a very different reaction on her part. New Things type of reaction bites tend to be a means of getting you to move away from the newly found 'radioactive thing' in the room. New things need to be introduced over time as your Parrot become use to it invading her World. Her bite would be classified as forcing you away /saving you from danger.

I would recommend that you consider placing her bites in a journal as there is likely different drivers, hence your reaction will be different based on the why!

The "shunning method" and the timing of your turning your back on her is very important. Parrots have a very short attention span and require that your reaction is immediate and that your turn back around at the end of that minute. Waiting too long and she likely will not remember why you turned away.

Last edited:

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
When my macaw displacement bites from fear, I grab his beak (gently) and pull it to my face, look him in the eye, and gently tell him that he's fine and kiss his beak. He's learning to instead of biting, move into me for protection when he's scared. But we also do lots of socialization, go out in public, have company. So he's got lots of opportunities to learn.
I will say though, that this is something that we do during play and snuggle time too. So it's something he's familiar and comfortable with. Wouldn't do it the first time as a reaction to a bite. Should first be seen as a comforting action.

Last edited:

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Someone recently recommended this book called Manual of Parrot Behavior authored by Andrew Luescher. I purchased it on Amazon and haven't received it yet. I also purchased a book called Parrots of the Wild: A Natural History of the World’s Most Captivating Birds by Catherine Toft because I want lean more about my parrots natural diet and social structure ... going back to basics.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just take advice from any single source with a bit of applied scepticisme. No one author gets everything 100% right. And check the publication date, as some authoritative books are sadly out of step with current parrot info. So much has been discovered in the last 10 years!

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Just take advice from any single source with a bit of applied scepticisme. No one author gets everything 100% right. And check the publication date, as some authoritative books are sadly out of step with current parrot info. So much has been discovered in the last 10 years!
Yes! Also each breed has their own behaviors, especially macaws. And each individual bird has their own set of quirks too!

Most Reactions

Latest posts