Rescue sun conure

Whimsicallyminded

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
1 sun conure Mango 2 parakeets Chaly and Nigel
Hey everyone im back. I have a few questions maybe you guys can help. I took in a rescue sun conure about 4 years old. At this point I can get her to step up with a treat but she wants to go right back to her cage. If I take her to another room I cant really work with her because she's not interested in the treats. She is just nervous the whole time. I took her on a trip with me and when she was in an unfamiliar environment she was nice to me. Im just trying to figure out how I can start training with her. Im determined to get her trained. Im her 4th owner and I dont want her going anywhere else. Also the woman before was just feeding her sunflower seeds and peanuts. Sometimes grapes and toast. I have been able to get her to switch to pellets and some apples and banana here and there but she's not interested in veggies at all. I guess its just going to take time and different ways of preparing it huh?

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hey everyone im back. I have a few questions maybe you guys can help. I took in a rescue sun conure about 4 years old. At this point I can get her to step up with a treat but she wants to go right back to her cage. If I take her to another room I cant really work with her because she's not interested in the treats. She is just nervous the whole time. I took her on a trip with me and when she was in an unfamiliar environment she was nice to me. Im just trying to figure out how I can start training with her. Im determined to get her trained. Im her 4th owner and I dont want her going anywhere else. Also the woman before was just feeding her sunflower seeds and peanuts. Sometimes grapes and toast. I have been able to get her to switch to pellets and some apples and banana here and there but she's not interested in veggies at all. I guess its just going to take time and different ways of preparing it huh?

Seems like you did well đź‘Ť

When I rescued a budgy (he also prefer to stay inside the cage, terrified of everything from table to shelfs), I took out his favorite perch and toys.....hanging them outside....so he followed out to play with them. At the beginning, he did not trust me. so he freeze still every time I look. And he cane out to play while I went to another room.

It took almost 6 months to earn his trust.
This is A VERY USEFUL thread....

Thread 'Tips for Bonding and Building Trust' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/

Ramble

Jul 4, 2019
Now in the beautiful Midwest!
Parrots
Bertie, the feisty, 17-yr-old, road-trippin’, green cheek conure
Congrats on the new family member! Rescue is the way to go!
it sounds like you’re doing well already if Mango is stepping up for a treat! It’s just going to take patience. As you said, you are your fid’s fourth parront, so trust is definitely going to take some time. But don’t give up! My conure, Bertie, was an absolute love when I visited her at the previous owner’s home, but a few days into being at my house, she turned into a little flesheater. we had a fun six months…. As far as veggies, it was just trial and error for her. She has settled on a chop with red and orange bell peppers, some jalapeño, kale, carrot, apple, melon and a bit of her conure seed mixed in. baby carrot just stuck in the bars for her to nibble are also a favorite. Corn is a huge treat for her. She will do most anything for that!
Hang in there. It’s absolutely worth the wait!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Great advice above, and congrats on the new baby! Just be patient and remember it takes time and you'll get there :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah, figure out his very favorite treat, and that becomes your training tool, only used during training. My tool is tiny slices of pine nuts, and lots of parrots love them.
Always have the treat ready when training, you want it to be immediate so he puts the action and the treat together in his mind. Be consistent in how you ask for a give action or trick, so you dont confuse him. And like everyone is saying, be patient. Parrots can be more stubborn than mules.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
You are on my HERO list! Bless you! Thank you for helping this darling. You found the right place. GladgladGLAD you're here!

9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions