May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Yesterday, I was going to put my bike away after a long ride, and I saw this little Jumping Spider. Being very interested in Jumping Spiders, I decided to try to hold the spider. I went over to it, and just as I was about to attempt to hold it, it fell backwards and landed on it’s back on the ground. I picked it up, and tried to put it on a plant, but it just couldn’t grip the plant or my hand. It was also quite slow, and very cautious of everything. If I tried to put ot on any surface that wasn’t either heavily textured or parallel to the ground, it would fall off onto it’s back. Since I know lethargy and having a hard time gripping things are classic symptoms of old age in spiders, I decided to take it in. I’ve had a lot of experience with Jumping Spiders of all ages, so I knew I’d be able to give her the best care possible. I really just wanted to make her feel as safe as possible. I set up her terrarium with dried leaves, birch bark, and dried sphagnum moss (to mimic the fall season here, and so that she had stuff to grip), and she’s doing well! I’ve handled her a bit, both yesterday and today, and she’s very tame and chill. Everyone, meet Amber!
5812E5A6-7C0F-4A91-A4AB-8621FDECFE00.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
BTW, I’m pretty sure she is a female Regal Jumping Spider, she’s about the right size and definitely the right color for a female.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
OMG I can type on my computer again! I've been having some serious technological issues as of late, and I'm so happy I've found a way to resolve them!!! Hello PF! And thank you everyone for your supportive comments! Amber is doing quite well, I'm hoping she'll hunt some of the flightless fruit flies I put in her terrarium.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Please do tell us more about those flightless fruit flies. You clip them yourself? :]
Nope, they are just naturally(?) flightless. I don't tamper with them...

Also, Amber passed away. I knew it was going to happen soon, she was a senior spider. At least she died in a warm, comfortable terrarium (with plenty of plants, birch bark, and other hidey holes), with 2 or 3 flies at her disposal.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Nope, they are just naturally(?) flightless. I don't tamper with them...

Also, Amber passed away. I knew it was going to happen soon, she was a senior spider. At least she died in a warm, comfortable terrarium (with plenty of plants, birch bark, and other hidey holes), with 2 or 3 flies at her disposal.
I’m so sorry Ollie πŸ«‚ Amber was beautiful. Thanks for taking her in ❀️

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I found a science fiction book about a whole society/ world of giant intelligent spiders. β€œChildren of Time” by Adrian Tchaikovsky. This first book has a plot line about humans and a plot line about an intelligent, sentient spider society.

I hear the second book has a plot about sentient octopuses. But that book isn’t available yet.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Any living creature can be elder

True but I never expected an arachnid to become elderly! Or any insect, myriapod, invertebrate (excluding some fish) mollusk, etc. to become elderly. Dunno why!
I suppose we don't think of any wild creatures dying of old age because older weaker animals are well known to be targets for predators but from the fact that they ARE, we must conclude that wild creatures can live long enough to become elderly. Because of predators their elderly state probably doesn't last very long. Unlike modern humans they obviously don't get medical care, their families don't watch after them, and there are no assisted living or nursing homes for aged wildlife! Zoos, however, have lots of geriatric critters.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I suppose we don't think of any wild creatures dying of old age because older weaker animals are well known to be targets for predators but from the fact that they ARE, we must conclude that wild creatures can live long enough to become elderly. Because of predators their elderly state probably doesn't last very long. Unlike modern humans they obviously don't get medical care, their families don't watch after them, and there are no assisted living or nursing homes for aged wildlife! Zoos, however, have lots of geriatric critters.
I know wild animals can get elderly (quite a few ungulates are a fantastic example of that! And so are elephants!), I see quite a few cases of it, although I never really thought arthropods (excluding crustaceans) could become elderly. It was a dumb assumption but I guess I never really thought about it. Also they generally don’t have super long lifespans or they get eaten/stomped/smushed/clapped/poisoned/etc. before they can die of old age.

Most Reactions

Latest posts