Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
This is awful, thanks for sharing. I hope all of them find homes soon 🙏
And Beak-Beak, you're absolutely right. I live in Indiana, not far from Michigan...
Maybe I could start thinking about adopting

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
One of the requirements of the Rescue folks is a big flight room. That may halt some of the birds being placed into homes, as not all have flight rooms for birds, but, can still handles 1 or 2 in larger cages.
One would think that mites, lice and such would be pretty rampant on such a group of birds as well.
Parakeets are not the only birds they folks have to re-home as well.

D

Deleted member 42416

Hopefully, after an adequate quarantine period and vet exam they will be ready to adopt. (Mite and disease free!).

Foxglove, if you adopt please start a thread on their progress!

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I live in Illinois and considered reaching out, but my flock is already 6 and I already have a hand shy little girl I'm working on... I really hope they all find good homes :(

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
I live in Illinois and considered reaching out, but my flock is already 6 and I already have a hand shy little girl I'm working on... I really hope they all find good homes :(
It's fine! You can't expect everyone to adopt

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
After New Year's I'll reach out to the rescue...

Edit: I spoke to them, might fill out their adoption application...

Last edited:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
After New Year's I'll reach out to the rescue...

Edit: I spoke to them, might fill out their adoption application...
I think it's confirmed, I'll be adopting one of these babies!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I've been following this case since it surfaced. it's really quite tragic. ~200 of the birds (they offered to take more but were rejected) went to a rescue called birds and beaks rescue and rehab. I follow them on facebook and that's were I'm getting a good bit of my information from. This rescue had a vet come in and give ALL the birds they got an exam and lab work. They still (at this time) have lost 11 of the birds. They have also publically said that some of the other rescues that got some of these birds have given them NO vet care and already listing them for adoption despite a lot of them still being in critical condition with mites, overgrown beaks/nails, and most likely liver issues. The rescue I follow has posted pictures of some of the more severe cases and these poor birds were in such horrid condition.

edit: it looks like "Detroit animal welfare group" is having a vet come in and look them over. However the other rescue JoJo's(?) is deleting comments from people asking about vet care and in dms that have been seen she has not had them looked over a vet.

here is the post from birds and beaks talking about it:
edit again: Also from my understanding the 800 might not even be all the birds. The person who surrendered them was the son of an animal hoarder and he initially surrendered 600 in 7 VERY cramped cages and then another 200 in boxes with holes. it's possible there is more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 42416

I've been following this case since it surfaced. it's really quite tragic. ~200 of the birds (they offered to take more but were rejected) went to a rescue called birds and beaks rescue and rehab. I follow them on facebook and that's were I'm getting a good bit of my information from. This rescue had a vet come in and give ALL the birds they got an exam and lab work. They still (at this time) have lost 11 of the birds. They have also publically said that some of the other rescues that got some of these birds have given them NO vet care and already listing them for adoption despite a lot of them still being in critical condition with mites, overgrown beaks/nails, and most likely liver issues. The rescue I follow has posted pictures of some of the more severe cases and these poor birds were in such horrid condition.

edit: it looks like "Detroit animal welfare group" is having a vet come in and look them over. However the other rescue JoJo's(?) is deleting comments from people asking about vet care and in dms that have been seen she has not had them looked over a vet.

here is the post from birds and beaks talking about it:
edit again: Also from my understanding the 800 might not even be all the birds. The person who surrendered them was the son of an animal hoarder and he initially surrendered 600 in 7 VERY cramped cages and then another 200 in boxes with holes. it's possible there is more.
At this point, the cost of vet care is astronomical with so many birds. Many of these rescues don’t have that kind of funding or volunteers are paying out of pocket. The best outcome would be to have birds adopted out quickly to homes that must keep them quarantined from other birds in home and the adoptive parents seek immediate vet care.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
At this point, the cost of vet care is astronomical with so many birds. Many of these rescues don’t have that kind of funding or volunteers are paying out of pocket. The best outcome would be to have birds adopted out quickly to homes that must keep them quarantined from other birds in home and the adoptive parents seek immediate vet care.
Yeah; it’s great that these budgies were rescued but they aren’t in that good of a situation anyway. There’s a very low chance that they all get adopted before something happens, that the rescue can’t pay to fix and as a result, quite a few of them will actually not survive anyway 🙁

Most Reactions