Rescued Galah

CuppaTea

Nov 4, 2021
Australia
Parrots
3 cockatiels
1 galah
Howdy. Very new here but not new to bird raising haha Iā€™ve had ducks, chickens and cockatiels hatch but this galah stuff is new!!

so about a week ago (on a Friday) a local guy posted on Facebook that there was a galah in his yard, I ended up going and grabbing the little one after he left it in his yard for an entire day with some water. I took the baby home and gave it some baby bird hand raising food and it instantly perked up but we noticed something was wrong with its foot, I called around and tried to book a vet appointment but couldnā€™t get one til Monday because I live in a small town!
Monday came and we took my now thriving baby (we hand fed for two days and by the third we noticed he was eating seeds and drinking water) to the vets and discovered that itā€™s leg has been dislocated, they put the birdy under and attempted to reconnect it but there was no luck as it had been left for too long , more then likely an injury that it had for awhile and they gave me three options

1. to eventually give him an amputation
2. To leave it how it is
3. To go back and go back under, for them to cut the ligament and then use a splint in an attempt to fix it
Or yanno, putting it to sleep as itā€™s a wild bird and canā€™t be released

we have both bonded loads over the last weeks, so he is staying a pet (named Echo now). My problem tho is being Iā€™m not sure what I should do next! Iā€™m currently not deciding as I just want to get the baby to healthy standards as itā€™s on the slim side, he has seeds and water during the day and refuses baby food til nighttime haha but Iā€™m not sure what to do to make him gain weight other then doing that

but yeah, my question being is: what would you do? Regarding his leg, he is adapting and learning to walk with it being weird and has started using a swing! Iā€™ll post some pictures over the last week :)

Attachments

• 3F680966-F727-4CAE-A56A-ED5835D1E38D.jpeg
    3F680966-F727-4CAE-A56A-ED5835D1E38D.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 6A8A73F7-CF16-4B6B-89EE-0460C9589486.jpeg
    6A8A73F7-CF16-4B6B-89EE-0460C9589486.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 6148C3C5-D26B-4D71-A5E7-678582B2A216.jpeg
    6148C3C5-D26B-4D71-A5E7-678582B2A216.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 5E7C9B34-F0C9-4215-8485-0D2D0950F912.jpeg
    5E7C9B34-F0C9-4215-8485-0D2D0950F912.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 56DEA067-534F-4912-951D-45AF9C47F029.jpeg
    56DEA067-534F-4912-951D-45AF9C47F029.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 3A1C4663-8293-415F-8BAB-E4C52F38E521.jpeg
    3A1C4663-8293-415F-8BAB-E4C52F38E521.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 73CC0738-CE64-48A5-B43B-238E081787FE.jpeg
    73CC0738-CE64-48A5-B43B-238E081787FE.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 6FA0CC06-4B0C-49BB-B32F-F06C2BA75A91.jpeg
    6FA0CC06-4B0C-49BB-B32F-F06C2BA75A91.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 9F0E3E27-83FE-40E2-80FA-A860C35EC6FC.jpeg
    9F0E3E27-83FE-40E2-80FA-A860C35EC6FC.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 9B4DB520-6C32-4C8F-9582-DB062CBF6614.jpeg
    9B4DB520-6C32-4C8F-9582-DB062CBF6614.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 117

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
What a beautiful bird! Ligaments are a slow healling because they do not have significant blood supply, this is why bones heal so quickly (they have bloodnsupply). If this was my bird I'd get a heated perchbor a chicken heating pad (hard cover heating pad (heat promotes circulation ie healing). This is what I've done in the past. I would see if Echo will heal on her own (with assistance) if her leg I swollen and she allows it you can do both heat and ice treatments. For My bird who did not have a ligament tear but possible nerve or soft tissue damage (she had a ingrown ankle band removed and after she healed she had trouble using her leg and some swelling) our vet had use to Epson salt foot soaks . I wouldn't force anything ad it May cause more damage.

Just saw your foot photo-
Would she allow you to gentle wrap it? I've over stretched my liagmnet (old dance injury) I decided against surgery and my dog had his ligament torn (inexperienced vet tore his ligament when examined his knee) for him we do therapy wrapping his leg and he got his own pool for water exercises (this was before underwater tread mills for dogs!)

Ligament surgery is pretty brutal and also has a long recovery time. But there a people who get them all the time.

Intensely research all your options and see which holds the best benefit for your bird. And find out what the time frame if any, to have surgery

It looks like you and Echo are going to have a wonderful life together!

Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
āœ»Csillam the rescued budgie
āœ»Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
āœ»Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
āœ»RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
āœ»RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hello and Welcome!

Thank you so much for taking this gorgeous fluff under your wing! I bet it's a real challenge seeing it's a wild bird with a non functioning leg!

Given the chance, I personally would see if it is possible to fix the leg. If it doesn't work out, the option 1 is always there. I wouldn't leave it limp like that, it could pose more issues in the future imo. (dragging=friction and friction=wounds). Birds can easily adapt even having a little stump. Of course only issues could be whether you'd have enough funds to go through both operations (if the fixing fails).

If Echo eats during day, she should regain her weight in no time, if there are no any other underlying illnesses, that is. Best to stay in a close contact with the vet if possible! Offer as many different food (like veggies and some fruits), keep her warm and she'll do great. I'm glad to hear (or well, read...) that the two of you are bonding well, and I wish best of luck to both of you!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
You're in Australia? If so, I'm amazed they let you take Echo home. In my experience, a seriously injured native bird will always be put down before they'll allow an untrained member of the public keep it. Drives me nuts!

In your position, I'd certainly be trying to have the leg repaired, especially if you have access to a vet who has the skill to do the surgery. Birds can certainly get by on a single leg, but if it's possible to offer Echo a better alternative, why not try?

Good on you for rescuing this gorgeous baby! :)

OP
CuppaTea

CuppaTea

Nov 4, 2021
Australia
Parrots
3 cockatiels
1 galah
You're in Australia? If so, I'm amazed they let you take Echo home. In my experience, a seriously injured native bird will always be put down before they'll allow an untrained member of the public keep it. Drives me nuts!

In your position, I'd certainly be trying to have the leg repaired, especially if you have access to a vet who has the skill to do the surgery. Birds can certainly get by on a single leg, but if it's possible to offer Echo a better alternative, why not try?

Good on you for rescuing this gorgeous baby! :)
Yeah iam!!
Honestly echo is so damn friendly haha, when I took it into the vets even they remarked how friendly it is.. Iā€™m from a country town tho, we donā€™t have many wild life rescues around

he uses the leg, itā€™s just at a weird angle tho

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Echo is lucky to have you. Despite his mishap, he is beautiful and is eating and drinking well. So I admire his strength and his will to live. One big fighter you have here. And deep respect to your kind heart.

Regarding the choices, it's never easy and I truly wish I could ask for his input. But since he doesn't speak English, I will have to guess his mind and ask questions on his behalf....

1. to eventually give him an amputation, i guess he will ask these questions....

How far is the cut?
How long will it take to heal?
The healing process takes antibiotics, pain killers and how often will the wound need to be cleaned? And by whom?
What is the financial burden?
How will he move around later?
Is there any long-term medical needs afterwards?
This choice, will stop all pain from the swelling?

2. To leave it how it is....by not knowing what is best for him, we already choose this option. The question is, is he in pain?

Will this pain go away on its own?
Is there any long-term medical needs like pain killer for the rest of his life?
In the wild, this is the only option and without help, he will die from starvation.

3. To go back and go back under, for them to cut the ligament and then use avvvvthve

Do they want to experiment?
Or will someone have to pay for this experiment?
What are the success percentage?
This odd reduces as hours go by?
If this fails, do we back to no.1 or no.2 ?

And last question, given that the vet had already examined him, what do they recommend?

I strongly disagree with mercy killing. He is eating and drinking. He shows strong will to live.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
May I suggest a 5th alternative.....

This is an extension of leave it as it is. How about giving him antibiotics, pain killer, hand feeding, calcium supplements and strictly limit his movements?

This is the least invasive choice and close to letting mother nature take over. But we can giving him a boost in his recovery.

I heard of a bird with a broken leg that was healed in 3 weeks. The owner took this route as adviced by her avian vet. The most difficult part was grounding the bird to limit her movements. But she said,
antibiotics, pain killer, hand feeding, and calcium supplements worked wonder. The bird eventually healed by itself and able to walk.

OP
CuppaTea

CuppaTea

Nov 4, 2021
Australia
Parrots
3 cockatiels
1 galah
Sorry I havenā€™t replied! I have a migraine lol

but here is a recent photo of his legs
Echo is still able to walk, and isnā€™t in any pain that I can tell, the vet never really suggested antibiotics either. Ive been restricting his walking haha we spend 99% of our time on blankets or on my bed šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ or snuggling.. he loves snuggling haha but I do try and get him to exercise the leg on the swing or by walking on the table whilst Iā€™m cleaning the kitchen or cooking, I barely put echo in a cage

Attachments

• 7512BA00-CE0F-4F68-8821-881734A81409.png
    7512BA00-CE0F-4F68-8821-881734A81409.png
    463.1 KB · Views: 111
OP
CuppaTea

CuppaTea

Nov 4, 2021
Australia
Parrots
3 cockatiels
1 galah
W
What a beautiful bird! Ligaments are a slow healling because they do not have significant blood supply, this is why bones heal so quickly (they have bloodnsupply). If this was my bird I'd get a heated perchbor a chicken heating pad (hard cover heating pad (heat promotes circulation ie healing). This is what I've done in the past. I would see if Echo will heal on her own (with assistance) if her leg I swollen and she allows it you can do both heat and ice treatments. For My bird who did not have a ligament tear but possible nerve or soft tissue damage (she had a ingrown ankle band removed and after she healed she had trouble using her leg and some swelling) our vet had use to Epson salt foot soaks . I wouldn't force anything ad it May cause more damage.

Just saw your foot photo-
Would she allow you to gentle wrap it? I've over stretched my liagmnet (old dance injury) I decided against surgery and my dog had his ligament torn (inexperienced vet tore his ligament when examined his knee) for him we do therapy wrapping his leg and he got his own pool for water exercises (this was before underwater tread mills for dogs!)

Ligament surgery is pretty brutal and also has a long recovery time. But there a people who get them all the time.

Intensely research all your options and see which holds the best benefit for your bird. And find out what the time frame if any, to have surgery

It looks like you and Echo are going to have a wonderful life together!
Would you have any suggestions on how to wrap it? Iā€™m pretty sure echo will let me try haha he is fine with me turning him over

OP
CuppaTea

CuppaTea

Nov 4, 2021
Australia
Parrots
3 cockatiels
1 galah
The
Hello and Welcome!

Thank you so much for taking this gorgeous fluff under your wing! I bet it's a real challenge seeing it's a wild bird with a non functioning leg!

Given the chance, I personally would see if it is possible to fix the leg. If it doesn't work out, the option 1 is always there. I wouldn't leave it limp like that, it could pose more issues in the future imo. (dragging=friction and friction=wounds). Birds can easily adapt even having a little stump. Of course only issues could be whether you'd have enough funds to go through both operations (if the fixing fails).

If Echo eats during day, she should regain her weight in no time, if there are no any other underlying illnesses, that is. Best to stay in a close contact with the vet if possible! Offer as many different food (like veggies and some fruits), keep her warm and she'll do great. I'm glad to hear (or well, read...) that the two of you are bonding well, and I wish best of luck to both of you!
vets I go to are amazing!! Theyā€™ve always been incredible, just hard to get into as itā€™s a small town I live in (with two vets, one that helps and the other has told me to put him to sleep)

any suggestions on getting echo to eat something. Other then seeds! Ive offered apples and other fruits lol but it just prefers the seeds šŸ˜‚

OP
CuppaTea

CuppaTea

Nov 4, 2021
Australia
Parrots
3 cockatiels
1 galah
Echo is lucky to have you. Despite his mishap, he is beautiful and is eating and drinking well. So I admire his strength and his will to live. One big fighter you have here. And deep respect to your kind heart.

Regarding the choices, it's never easy and I truly wish I could ask for his input. But since he doesn't speak English, I will have to guess his mind and ask questions on his behalf....

1. to eventually give him an amputation, i guess he will ask these questions....

How far is the cut?
How long will it take to heal?
The healing process takes antibiotics, pain killers and how often will the wound need to be cleaned? And by whom?
What is the financial burden?
How will he move around later?
Is there any long-term medical needs afterwards?
This choice, will stop all pain from the swelling?

2. To leave it how it is....by not knowing what is best for him, we already choose this option. The question is, is he in pain?

Will this pain go away on its own?
Is there any long-term medical needs like pain killer for the rest of his life?
In the wild, this is the only option and without help, he will die from starvation.

3. To go back and go back under, for them to cut the ligament and then use avvvvthve

Do they want to experiment?
Or will someone have to pay for this experiment?
What are the success percentage?
This odd reduces as hours go by?
If this fails, do we back to no.1 or no.2 ?

And last question, given that the vet had already examined him, what do they recommend?

I strongly disagree with mercy killing. He is eating and drinking. He shows strong will to live.

honestly the thing that scares me for both options is the going under, the vet even told me thereā€™s a chance some birds donā€™t wake up, I feel like we got lucky the first time.. Iā€™m scared tbh, echo is such a sweetie, Iā€™d hate to risk anything but also I donā€™t want the baby to be in pain, which he doesnā€™t seem to be.. he is honestly an awesome bird. And uses his foot still, even tho itā€™s at a weird angle šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

OP
CuppaTea

CuppaTea

Nov 4, 2021
Australia
Parrots
3 cockatiels
1 galah
May I suggest a 5th alternative.....

This is an extension of leave it as it is. How about giving him antibiotics, pain killer, hand feeding, calcium supplements and strictly limit his movements?

This is the least invasive choice and close to letting mother nature take over. But we can giving him a boost in his recovery.

I heard of a bird with a broken leg that was healed in 3 weeks. The owner took this route as adviced by her avian vet. The most difficult part was grounding the bird to limit her movements. But she said,
antibiotics, pain killer, hand feeding, and calcium supplements worked wonder. The bird eventually healed by itself and able to walk.
Do you have any suggestions on calcium supplements? Iā€™m literally willing to spend anything to make him comfy/better :) we definitely do the risked movement hahaha we is literally either on me or my bed or soft things šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ lowkey been spoiling him

that is amazing about that bird! And incredibly lucky :)

OP
CuppaTea

CuppaTea

Nov 4, 2021
Australia
Parrots
3 cockatiels
1 galah
Just some pictures haha

Attachments

• 14316E0F-B415-4335-A37D-775EF926205A.jpeg
    14316E0F-B415-4335-A37D-775EF926205A.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 92
  • DFE1CD12-59A9-4FE0-B2A6-97485155904D.jpeg
    DFE1CD12-59A9-4FE0-B2A6-97485155904D.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 103
  • AEC41FAE-83A1-41D4-8F0A-6D87C414F691.jpeg
    AEC41FAE-83A1-41D4-8F0A-6D87C414F691.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 104

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Glad Echo is doing well. He seems content under your care. I am so happy he has you. I also I thought you might find this informative.

Foods to offer other than seed, millet, pellets and some fresh fruit?

Since he don't want fresh apple, how about ....applesauce or easily digestible human foods such as mashed ripe bananas, strained or soft vegetables
such as peas, boiled pumpkin, baby food, boiled pasta, or boiled beans.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
My vet had me put DMSO horse gel on my birds ankle for pain. It smells pretty bad and you should use gloves (just because of the smell- this was such a long time ago a can't remember if she had me keep it one or wipe it off... if my memory service me correctly we did Epson foot baths after leaving it on for 30mis to an hour or I put it on after the Epson salt foot baths )

Did the vet say you bird had a slipped tendon ? Here are some links you may find helpful

For the wrap I'd use self adhesive wrap cut in straps and do a kind of figure 8 around the ankle. Make sure it's not too tight and does not cut off circulation but firm enough that it offers support.

OP
CuppaTea

CuppaTea

Nov 4, 2021
Australia
Parrots
3 cockatiels
1 galah
Thanks for the information guys :) Iā€™ll look more into and keep yā€™all posted how echo goes!

Most Reactions