Respiratory problem

Clared123

Dec 22, 2020
Hi all,
This morning I took my little kakariki out of her cage and she was acting so strange she was perfectly fine yesterday, she wouldn’t eat drink this morning just wanted to find a dark corner and go asleep in very fluffed up. We brought her to the vet and they said she had a respiratory illnesses and an enlarged liver. She has no signs of respiratory illness so I was confused but she was given antibiotics but she is still acting the same no eating or drinking just wants to go asleep in a dark corner😥 I’m so worried for my baby she’s only 3 years old does anyone have any idea on whats going on or what sort of respiratory illness it is or any advice? Please pray for her

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
If you have questions about her illness, consult with your avian vet again. I can't tell you much more than that. However, I'm so sorry your precious bird is sick, I pray she gets better 🙏

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so glad you got to the veterinarian quickly and started on antibiotics. This is a very sick bird. Unfortunately they hide being sick until they are so sick they can't hide it exactly as yiu described. They do not have to have running nose or sneezing to have respiratory infection. Many burd infections don't make secretions.

Support with warmth, warmth is very important. Like trying to get environment up to 85f. Radiant heat is best. Heat lamps are dangerous and I don't recommend them st all.

Support with food, make sure they are eating. May need to try baby bird formula drip infront of beak and they take nit force. Offer millet as it has higher calories

Last edited:
OP
C

Clared123

Dec 22, 2020
Hey guys thanks so much for you help she made a miraculous recovery over the last week with a lot of warmth and love (and the help of antibiotics!) she is back to her normal self again she’s a real fighter☺️

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad your kakariki is vastly improved, vets often prescribe antibiotics to clear any hint of respiratory infection. Enlarged liver a concern at age three, does vet believe it connected with respiratory illness or potential fatty liver disease aka FLD?

Most Reactions