Rocky my sick cockatiel

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I want to thank everyone for their warm words, it is much appreciated.

Shifty and I are doing ok. Im spending all weekend with him. It's too soon to consider getting another cockatiel, we're still in mourning, if I eventually do it would be to keep Shifty company while I'm at work.

The avian vet, apart from me being unhappy at them pressuring me into euthanasia they were excellent. The place does birds and exotic pets and they were far more detailed in everything they did. Yes it was expensive but all the costs were laid out and reasonable, they were honest, correct with their diagnosis, my vet consulted with the senior vet which I thought was good, he spent a good 30-40 with us and was very in depth, documenting everything I said and he saw on computer.
There are only 3 avian vets in my town, it's worth knowing where they are.

I have to also assess the illnesses and see if I am culpable of them. The vet gave me a print out on the details of these diseases.
Avian gastric yeast. This is passed down from the parent. Rocky was always a bit sick with this. She was always a bit lethargic, less energetic than Shifty is. That's why I said she was "well behaved" I suspect because of this.
Heavy metal poisoning. Unfortunately I think I contributed to this. I am in the metal working industry and fine metal filings get on my work cloths. I am assessing how to better keep my bird away from my work cloths and need to blow down my work cloths more thoroughly after work

At the vet there was an umbrella cockatoo which I had the privilege of handling. It was so friendly. Iv never owned a big bird before only budgies and tiels so that was cool.
It sounds like you have a really good avian vet. I was going to ask how Rocky could have gotten heavy metal poisoning but you and your vet were way ahead of me on this one. Does the vet think Shifty is also at risk?

You should definitely take your time about getting Shifty a companion. Unless you are home most of the time it's probably a good idea but don't rush out and get another bird.

One of my budgies, Beau, lost his life companion, Hunter, a couple months ago and we were very concerned about his mental well-being. We decided to let him spend more time outside the cage with Rocky, my hand raised female budgie even though we hesitated because we don't want them breeding and didn't want Rocky to lose his bond to us. They get along great so a few weeks ago we decided to let the share a cage (no nest box) and all is well for now. Rocky is still very bonded to us and Beau is very happy with Rocky.

As long as he gets enough attention, perhaps Shifty will be fine without a cagemate.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It's been a couple of weeks now since Rocky died. I received a card in the post from the avian vet clinic. The senior vet gave the condolences of herself and the clinic staff in a hand written paragraph that was very heart warming.

20231017_203953.jpg

20231017_204017.jpg

Wow. I'm impressed

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's been a couple of weeks now since Rocky died. I received a card in the post from the avian vet clinic. The senior vet gave the condolences of herself and the clinic staff in a hand written paragraph that was very heart warming.

View attachment 55284
View attachment 55285
Wow. I'm impressed
This was such a thoughtful gesture.
I had a turtle euthanized several years ago and I was inconsolably tearful for days. A few weeks later I received a similar sympathy card from the vet office signed by all their staff members and I really appreciated it.

I know you miss your Rocky and always will. It will get easier with time but Rocky will never be forgotten.

I dread the day I eventually lose my budgie Rocky and pray for the strength to get through it and smile again.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
This is so very sweet and kind. Our small animal vet did the same thing when we had to put down our beloved Golden Retriever, Sadie, due to cancer. We had taken Sadie to that clinic ever since we got her as a puppy and I think the clinic staff was almost as sad as we were. It was such a touching gesture and it honestly brought a little healing to my heart. I’m so glad you found a clinic that seems to have such kind and caring staff during Rocky’s last hours. Hoping you and Shifty continue to heal from your loss ❤️.

Most Reactions

Latest posts