Rough grooming.

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi folks,

Iā€™m having a problem with my Quaker where he is trying to groom me/remove blemishes but heā€™s pinching very hard.

This isnā€™t purposeful biting, weā€™ve also been working on that and itā€™s gotten much better. He just doesnā€™t seem to understand that when he pinches, it hurts. Iā€™ve been doing the basic thing of ā€œNoā€ and a small time out. Is that sufficient? I donā€™t want to punish him too harshly as heā€™s trying to be loving. Itā€™s primarily on my lips and neck he does this. Heā€™ll be very gentle then find a spot he doesnā€™t like and pinch.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
they definitely want to remove anything the think could be a parasite, for your own good ofcourse!

If I hsve a scab...forget it! They are going to remove it even if they have to get sneaky , team up and distract me.

Hang nail, I just show it to them and snip they take care of it!

I do say be careful, be nice. If it proceedes to be too much pressure...Then no! That's not nice and I move thrn to the perch by my chair. And after lots of this , lots, they have learned to heed the warning and be careful, because they don't want time out lol just like 6 inches away from me , and for only a few seconds as tge hop back. But its enough to get the point across.

If you have stuff on you they think needs fixing...well...mine find a way to fix it! But they have learned my normal moles, freckles , scars and leave alone.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Rather than "no biting" for this behavior, try working with a "Be Gentle" command, for Bite Pressure Training.

(Birds naturally want to preen each other, and in a flock they will learn by how other birds respond, how hard to preen them. Remember they don't have hands to love each other, only beaks! So Bite PRESSURE training works With their inborn nature, rather than against it.)

I have done this mostly when my bird is on perch, a little beak play with fingers, scritches, encouraging her to in-return groom my fingers. Then when she preens Too Hard, you gently say, "Be Gentle," and move your hand away. Give a moment, then return your fingers. Next time it's too hard, again say "Be Gentle!" and remove further away for a Longer Moment. ETC.

Do this working with her as a training exercise. She will quickly catch on, especially if she is enjoying the finger-play, and will learn she can use her beak to Communicate withOut needing to bite Hard.

Then you will be able to translate the command, and if she is grooming your face or somewhere else too hard, again you say "Be Gentle," and then perhaps gently put your hand in-between or move her away. Etc. She will likely catch on pretty quickly, and after a while she will only need occasional re-training reminders.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
they definitely want to remove anything the think could be a parasite, for your own good ofcourse!

If I hsve a scab...forget it! They are going to remove it even if they have to get sneaky , team up and distract me.

Hang nail, I just show it to them and snip they take care of it!

I do say be careful, be nice. If it proceedes to be too much pressure...Then no! That's not nice and I move thrn to the perch by my chair. And after lots of this , lots, they have learned to heed the warning and be careful, because they don't want time out lol just like 6 inches away from me , and for only a few seconds as tge hop back. But its enough to get the point across.

If you have stuff on you they think needs fixing...well...mine find a way to fix it! But they have learned my normal moles, freckles , scars and leave alone.
Yep! I know heā€™s trying to be good butā€¦ OW! My cockatiels would always try and remove any freckles on my arms.

Thank you, I tried that last night and today and he seems to be understanding. Working on not eating my nails nowā€¦.

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Rather than "no biting" for this behavior, try working with a "Be Gentle" command, for Bite Pressure Training.

(Birds naturally want to preen each other, and in a flock they will learn by how other birds respond, how hard to preen them. Remember they don't have hands to love each other, only beaks! So Bite PRESSURE training works With their inborn nature, rather than against it.)

I have done this mostly when my bird is on perch, a little beak play with fingers, scritches, encouraging her to in-return groom my fingers. Then when she preens Too Hard, you gently say, "Be Gentle," and move your hand away. Give a moment, then return your fingers. Next time it's too hard, again say "Be Gentle!" and remove further away for a Longer Moment. ETC.

Do this working with her as a training exercise. She will quickly catch on, especially if she is enjoying the finger-play, and will learn she can use her beak to Communicate withOut needing to bite Hard.

Then you will be able to translate the command, and if she is grooming your face or somewhere else too hard, again you say "Be Gentle," and then perhaps gently put your hand in-between or move her away. Etc. She will likely catch on pretty quickly, and after a while she will only need occasional re-training reminders.
Thank you!! I think heā€™s understanding, weā€™ve made a bit of progress today!

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
More pictures!
Is he DNA male?
Hahaha, ok!! Yes, heā€™s DNA male!

E0EE3675-60E4-48E3-8101-1F74BA556AB3.jpeg
9DF49067-D7DB-497A-AFCD-B721B5AC601E.jpeg