Rubbing beak and face on me

ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
somewhere you'll never find me
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
Hello :) Kiwi my 3 month and a half green cheek conure, rubs his face on me, He does it in different situations, he tends to rub his face on my when he's finished eating, to clean his beak, So I know what that means, but he also likes to do that when we're "cuddling".

Sometimes when he's on me and I'm stroking him (only his neck, cheeks, and head of course) he grinds his beak (which I think means contentment) he's been doing that since I first got him, but he recently he started to rub his beak on my straight after that, never long he does 2 or 3 swipes and grinds his beak again and sometimes starts to preen or falls asleep. Also while he's preening he'll stop rub his beak on me (even if there ius no fluff on his beak) then continue to preen. What does that mean?

I'm a little confused, he doesn't regurgitate, and I could be very wrong but isn't he too young to try and mate with me? Oh and he also does that when he's excited to see me he flies up to my shoulder and plays with me and walks on me (i don't know how to explain it, just a crazy bird greeting very happy and cute) and he rubs his beak on me then too. I'd love to know what it means, and if its a behavior I should try and discontinue.

Also he does sometimes bop his head but no regurgitation when he rubs his beak on me. He licks me as well and I'm sure thats a good sign thats why I'm not too worried more curious. But should I be worried? Also sorry if this is a dumb question I'm a first time parrot owner and I'm questioning everything.

Random unrelated question is peanut butter safe for birds, I mean I've seen people do it but I'm kind of scared, if it is safe I'm guessing it's a treat right?

Thank you :gcc:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A tiny bit of peanut butter is kind of okay, but can easily turn into a Parrot demanding it because it contains not only peanuts, but sugar. It is easier to just not start. Remember that it is a processed food and the goal is healthy, fresh foods.

Your Parrot has found that cleaning its Bill on you is much more comfortable than hard surfaces. In addition, it can be tied to early sexual behavior. IMHO, I would avoid this behavior, if for not other reasons, at some point, you will be wearing something really nice and not want it covered with food bits.

OP
ILOVEKIWI

ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
somewhere you'll never find me
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
A tiny bit of peanut butter is kind of okay, but can easily turn into a Parrot demanding it because it contains not only peanuts, but sugar. It is easier to just not start. Remember that it is a processed food and the goal is healthy, fresh foods.
Ok I won't, just curious.

at some point, you will be wearing something really nice and not want it covered with food bits.
Oh I have totally been wearing something nice and Kiwi felt the need to rub his beak straight after eating:D It came off really quick and I didn't mind but when I'm home (most of the time due Covid) I really don't care, so I don't think that'll be a problem:p

In addition, it can be tied to early sexual behavior
I'm not so sure. Sexual behavior at 3 months?https://www.exoticdirect.co.uk/news/parrot-body-language I was reading this website and went to the head bopping paragraph and it's only mating behaviour in an adult birds but in young birds and sometimes adult birds it's a sign of enthusiasm. I've been trying to read about birds mating habits, but face rubbing hasn't came up, I might be reading the wrong stuff, so maybe if it isn't too much but I'd love some links supporting your claim. But still I don't know, and I'd love more takes on this matter.

Thank you :gcc:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It could be a dirty beak-- unlikely sexual at 3m but much of what they do as babies is the stuff that becomes sexual later, so once he's eating on his own etc etc, I'd try to find non-sexual ways to interact/ show affection.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
The most common reason (theory) for birds to rub their beaks is to clean them. It's also widely believed that because bird's beaks are like a hand to them and are rather sensitive, they enjoy the feeling of rubbing their beaks on things. Some also speculate that they rub their beak on things they consider to be Theirs because their are oils in the beak that are left on the rubbed person/object. In general, it's considered a positive sign of familiarity at the very least. I haven't heard it commonly believed to be a sexual activity, and touching the head is usually safe in that regard (as long as it's not regurgitation). My boys really like have their beaks touched, held, rubbed, kissed, and even scratched. :)
Peanuts are at best considered to be a very fatty "treat" to be given only rarely. Some believe Peanuts to be especially unhealthy and best avoided altogether. My vet suggested that peanut butter (best if it's low-salt, all-natural stuff) is a good way to get a bird to take their medicine if you are struggling with that.
That's my 2 cents worth anyway. :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
In terms of PB-- look at the label because even Jiff (all natural) has added sugar. The super natural stuff is hard for me to swallow plain, so I worry about them chocking on it--- you know, the stuff that is really hard to stir and has no sugar etc.

Zettobi

Oct 10, 2018
Australia
Parrots
Sunburst - Sun Conure (hatched: 18/3/18)
Peanut butter is great for a treat, just make sure you use 100% peanut. Unsure if you have this brand where you are, but I personally like the Mayver's dark roasted smunchy peanut butter, which is literally just 100% peanuts, no sugar, salt, nothing else!

Most Reactions

Latest posts