Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
While not dead, I feel like they've died. I had to give up several of my birds because I'm moving in a few months and most places are very strict about only allowing 2 pets - even birds- in their apartments. Which means I had to give up four of my six birds :cry:. I'm waiting on a buyer for my current cockatiel hen, but my two green cheek conures went to a bird experienced fella here in the city. I loved them dearly, but it huuuuuuurt so much seeing them taken away to their new home. It feels weird only seeing a few birds instead of a huge flock of climbing, screaming brats, too. Sigh. I'm left with two elderly birds, a Peach front Conure and my retired Cockatiel breeder, who are in their early 20's.

My parents aren't helping. They're constantly telling me to downsize my birds and are happy when I have to give them up. They don't get it.

Thanks for letting me vent. It's gonna hurt when my old guys pass on. It still hurts 2 years after Mindwipe, Redshift's mate, passed on at 19 years.

freshprincess87

Dec 30, 2016
Australia
Parrots
8 little lovebirds
Iā€™m so sorry that you had to give up four of your birds. Itā€™s still a loss and itā€™s still very hard because itā€™s the idea of not knowing what happens to them for the rest of their lives. Over the years since getting birds Iā€™ve also found myself in situations where I was terribly worried that I would have to leave my birds behind as well due to many issues and every time I thought about it I would just cry and cry. Will you be able to keep in touch with the new owners of the birds you re-homed? That would have been so hard watching your conures being taken away. Iā€™m sorry you had to go through that. Iā€™m not sure if that makes things harder or easier though. I havenā€™t re-homed birds before. I hope someone on here can give more advice and guidance.

Itā€™s worse when other people tell you to downsize too. It doesnā€™t help the situation for you either. I hope you wonā€™t have to deal with that too much. Itā€™s already hard for you to give up some of them already. I think the people who donā€™t understand the pain of losing a bird and giving up a bird or any other animal have never had an animal as a pet before or never raised an animal in any other way.

I just wanted to reply your Post so you donā€™t feel alone. This forum has brought me a bit of comfort the last few days so I want to pay it forward when I am able to do so.

OP
Vampiric_Conure

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Iā€™m so sorry that you had to give up four of your birds. Itā€™s still a loss and itā€™s still very hard because itā€™s the idea of not knowing what happens to them for the rest of their lives. Over the years since getting birds Iā€™ve also found myself in situations where I was terribly worried that I would have to leave my birds behind as well due to many issues and every time I thought about it I would just cry and cry. Will you be able to keep in touch with the new owners of the birds you re-homed? That would have been so hard watching your conures being taken away. Iā€™m sorry you had to go through that. Iā€™m not sure if that makes things harder or easier though. I havenā€™t re-homed birds before. I hope someone on here can give more advice and guidance.

Itā€™s worse when other people tell you to downsize too. It doesnā€™t help the situation for you either. I hope you wonā€™t have to deal with that too much. Itā€™s already hard for you to give up some of them already. I think the people who donā€™t understand the pain of losing a bird and giving up a bird or any other animal have never had an animal as a pet before or never raised an animal in any other way.

I just wanted to reply your Post so you donā€™t feel alone. This forum has brought me a bit of comfort the last few days so I want to pay it forward when I am able to do so.
Thanks for your kind words :) I'm so glad I'm not alone in this! My mom isn't a pet person - she prefers being petless. My dad is more of a dog person. I'm the one to take over the bird fetish from my great grandfather, who used to raise and breed pigeons.

I could technically wave the 'emotional support animal' title in my future landlords' faces, but emotional support animals have next to no protection here in manitoba, Canada. :( So downsize I have to do. **Sighs sadly**

ohyeah!

May 9, 2022
Parrots
2 budgies (Opal and Banjo)
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. No one else in my family are bird people, either. When my first budgie died, I was absolutely heartbroken. People were nice for the first day or so, but it still hurts so much. They tell me that she was just an animal, and it shouldn't matter so much, but she was more than that, and I still feel awful because I feel like her death was all my fault and I miss her so much.

It's hard being a bird person when you're surrounded by people who just don't get it, so just know that you're not alone in this.šŸ˜¢

freshprincess87

Dec 30, 2016
Australia
Parrots
8 little lovebirds
Thanks for your kind words :) I'm so glad I'm not alone in this! My mom isn't a pet person - she prefers being petless. My dad is more of a dog person. I'm the one to take over the bird fetish from my great grandfather, who used to raise and breed pigeons.

I could technically wave the 'emotional support animal' title in my future landlords' faces, but emotional support animals have next to no protection here in manitoba, Canada. :( So downsize I have to do. **Sighs sadly**
You're welcome and you definitely aren't alone. I have found these forums to be of the most comfort to me this past week. My parents also aren't pet people, but I moved out of home almost 10 years ago. My dad grew up in the countryside in North Africa but this was many years ago and would have been a different mindset, to viewing the animals as livestock rather than pets. My mum likes birds though but never owned animals. I remember her taking me to farm shows when I was a child though which featured farm animals and I think she enjoyed it more than me. She loves seeing baby animals. I admit I didn't know the love of birds until 2016. I've never been a dog or cat person. Most people throughout my life always seem to be dog or cat people. I only remember one neighbour at my parents apartment having a bird. She first had a galah, then a princess parrot I think.

You must have inherited the bird loving from your great grandfather. That sounds wonderful.

I hope at your next rental you will be able to at least enjoy the company of your remaining conure and cockatiel. I wish the laws would change so that people could have support animals. I'm not sure of the rules here in Australia. They are probably different in every state. But I have read different news articles in recent weeks that seem to indicate that laws will change so that landlords can't automatically exclude tenants who have animals. People are getting upset because they cant find a place to rent if they have animals. They are complaining and saying their animals are cleaner than human children and to please give them a chance. I really hope that you will get through this difficult time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts