Safe nice repellent?

Iris1744

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
5 cockatiels
Is fresh cab rodent repellent safe around birds? Was thinking about putting a bag in a plastic container with holes in it under the bird cages to try and keep mice away but wanted to make sure it was safe to use first!
ACTIVE INGREDIENT:
Balsam Fir Oil, a botanical pesticide....2.0%

INERT INGREDIENTS:
Fragrance Oil, Plant Fibers…..98.0%

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I love using more natural alternatives, but there is little research to indicate whether or not oils like this are safe for use around birds. Birds have very sensitive respiratory systems so constant exposure to a strong oil could potentially be harmful. For using under the cage, I would say it depends on the strength of the scent. If you can smell it strongly from several feet away, then that’s not going to be good for your bird to be inhaling 24/7. If the smell isn’t strong, it might be fine. I use some essential oils on myself, so my birds are briefly exposed to the vapors and have never had any issues, but there is not constant exposure. I do also wonder what “ fragrance oil” is? That would concern me a little since it’s not specific.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).

Most Reactions

Latest posts