Status
Not open for further replies.

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
So happy to hear man! Salty is kind of my mascot here. (In a way that makes sense... whatever)

Basically what you and he have is what I hope to develop with both of my birds.

Tell him he needs to wear his helmet from now on!

2F911F0600000578-3370616-image-a-10_1450800663690.jpg

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
So glad to hear Salty is back home with you and Geri, Al. And his reinvigorated appetite is a really good sign!

I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers, hoping that he'll get past his mild concussion in short order.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Glad to hear everything has turned out well. Now about that chain highway... maybe train tracks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Chain. The vet wants me to rethink it. Lower it. Put some sort OF padding on the floor under it. Salty loves the chain so much , and he usually never falls off it. The vet said his claws were too short, may have contributed. Salty sleeps on a cast sand perch, the ones that look like a Chola stick, but in cast sand. It's very aggressive in taking down claws, so that got switched out tonight for a regular natural wood perch. He is gonna be cage bound for a few days, so I can think about this a bit. Rope? Chain wrapped in vets tape? Hardwood dowel, with grooves in it for traction? I can make anything, so other suggestions are welcome. We are at Geri's pain Dr right now, but I'll report on his condition when we get home. Thanks you guys, for all the help.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
glad to hear salty is doing better!!!!! sending late healing prayers and thoughts to you guys.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Annnnnnnnnnnnd...

TEAM SALTY takes a collective sigh of relief!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
Oh wow I never saw this post. I would have crossed fingers, toes, arms and legs.

I am so happy he is back home again.

I like the large cotton ropes. It's easy for their nails to dig in, so the risk of falling is minimal. Don't you think he would like the rope just as much? I would think he likes the chain because it's a great place to be (guessing it's high and gives him a great vantage point of most things in the room)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Chain. The vet wants me to rethink it. Lower it. Put some sort OF padding on the floor under it. Salty loves the chain so much , and he usually never falls off it. The vet said his claws were too short, may have contributed. Salty sleeps on a cast sand perch, the ones that look like a Chola stick, but in cast sand. It's very aggressive in taking down claws, so that got switched out tonight for a regular natural wood perch. He is gonna be cage bound for a few days, so I can think about this a bit. Rope? Chain wrapped in vets tape? Hardwood dowel, with grooves in it for traction? I can make anything, so other suggestions are welcome. We are at Geri's pain Dr right now, but I'll report on his condition when we get home. Thanks you guys, for all the help.

I think targeting the night perch and converting it to a natural branch will help greatly. Your AV really drilled into the problem. They really use their nails to hold onto things. Without nails, the other options are really not better since they are just as dependent on the nails to hold onto them.

Place the cast sand perch in front of the food and water bowls. He will quickly adapt to that and will use cast sand perch to both work his beak on and his nails.

Consider a bit larger diameter on the chain. Could use a rougher sandpaper to pull the smooth surface off the plastic.

As the AV stated, his nails are short and likely well rounded. That greatly limits his ability to hang onto nearly anything. So short term, his high wire (chain) act is out of play until he gets a bit of length and sharpness (points) to his nails. 100% the other way then nearly everyone else is working too. Shouldn't take very long, once the cast sand perched is relocated. Look at a roosting perch near 2" diameter, maybe a bit bigger. Take a look at the pictures as part of the Posts after my Segment: Getting to the Foot of the Problem as part of the I Love Amazon Thread. That is the lay pattern that you want for a roosting perch. Nice comfortable arc will assure great foot pad health.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I'm so happy to see this! Nigel has a bit of a deformed foot and has a little trouble hanging onto things. It helps to have ropes and natural wood perches. Get better Salty!

Leena

Mar 31, 2015
India
Parrots
Alexandrine - Rio, Budgies - Blu and Tweety
Mr. Wrench, just saw your post. Wishing Salty a speedy recovery.
Your Salty videos are watched in reruns in my house by the kid and the parrot.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I am so incredibly relieved.

Gus falls a lot, still. Some of it is because his feet are not strong - he didn't have room to move around for a long time. He's getting better but still falls, even from big wood perches. I got some gray padding from Costco - it's meant for a kid's play surface or home gym, big puzzle shaped squares that interlock at the edges, and it has a fairly non absorbent surface in case of poop. Oh, please keep us updated on Salty's condition, if you want a wood perch lathe turned to different profiles, we could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions