Sam´s playful morning

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Dear all,

I decided to post here a rewarding experience I´ve just had with Sam, my pacific parrotlet. Besides that, I´ve just realized that I have not yet presented my parrots in a more dedicated fashion.

Sam is now 5 months old. He has a sassy and sweet personality that is just a perfect combination. Since he was 17 days old (when I adopted him) he already showed a strong spirit, that now he express toward any other bird that approaches him, no matter the size of the bird. If I had any doubt parrotlets are deeply territorial, now I have no more. Regarding his interaction with people, he is just so social, even if one puts it hand inside his cage, he just watches and gently nibble our fingers.

For the last couple of weeks, every time he was out of the cage he transitioned from gentle nibbling to some medium/hard bites in a matter of 5 minutes. However, I did not observe any sign of aggressiveness, it was more like his way to test limits and to express some boredom. Every bite that was a bit stronger was reacted with a gentle but solid "no" and putting him in the closest perch. He learned to respect "no" when I suspected a bite could happen in a matter of just 3 to 4 times :oops: :oops: !!

Then I decided to apply many of the good directions I´ve read in this site and last morning I took him out for a cage free time but gave him lots of things to do, to chew and to play. He was just perfect, not a bite and even when he was about to do it, I simply said "no" and he stopped. He usually loves to spend his time in my hand, head or wrist, but this time he was just playful with all the things to explore and exercise.

At some point he just stopped by in the table and showed a lot of interest in my coffee cup, which made some wonderful pictures. :):) I feel really blessed to have his company and really thankful to all of you for sharing your experiences that helped me to better communicate with Sam.

IMG-20210929-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20210929-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20210929-WA0029.jpg
IMG-20210929-WA0027.jpg

No worries, the cup was empty at that moment :).

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Gorgeous pics, Kitekeeper, and thanks for the wonderful introduction to sassy little Sam!! Sounds like he's got smarts to go along with all that sass - and good looks too :) I'm so pleased to meet you, Sam!:D

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
lordy i see his grin!! And his spunky full of creative energy a mile away @ definitely a chap that needs stuff to do@ a great candidate to do foraging fun with you.
Add yucca chips, and those bird bagels that are made from pper that looks kinda a like a tape roll to his wonderful bird tree, those rubber balls with holes stuff popcorn and shredded paper fir him to pull out..add a movement perch swinging, and things to leap to, birds live to test their jumping skills ... pages from a paperback book, or playing cards are great chomping fun

Last edited:
OP
Kitekeeper

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Thank you LaManuka and Laurasea, I am glad you liked Sam! :)
Add yucca chips, and those bird bagels that are made from pper that looks kinda a like a tape roll to his wonderful bird tree, those rubber balls with holes stuff popcorn and shredded paper fir him to pull out..add a movement perch swinging, and things to leap to, birds live to test their jumping skills ... pages from a paperback book, or playing cards are great chomping fun
Great advices!! Thanks a lot!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrotlets! If ever there was a parrot that out-punches for his weight, thats them. I've seen a parrotlet bully a full grown Citroën cockatoo right off a perch! Sounds like Sam is getting the message on biting. Enjoy your little powerhouse!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
We have a member ( Inger) who has a parrolet (Bumble) that is such an amazing little birdy! I see the same characteristics in Sam!! What a handsome little guy you have! Many many happy years with him.

Jim

OP
Kitekeeper

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
We have a member ( Inger) who has a parrolet (Bumble) that is such an amazing little birdy!
Good to know! There are not many parrotlets in bird community.

I see the same characteristics in Sam!! What a handsome little guy you have! Many many happy years with him.
What amazes me the most is his independence. I can pass by near the cage and he looks me interested but don´t beg for attention. I can sit in the living room in his view and he will keep doing his routine of chewing things and eat (man he loves to eat!), but if I go to his cage to talk to him he is always receptive and sweet.

OP
Kitekeeper

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Can fully recommend yucca chips, even the Crown Princess loves those, and she is VERY fussy!
I don´t know if we have this for parrots here in Brazil. We do love yucca, but I´ve never heard of any bird dedicated yucca products.

Thanks! :) :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts