Scaly mites, or regular canary scales

Luvbirdlover

Jul 1, 2021
I have 3 canaries that live together in an aviary. Two (red-orange birds in photos) of them are maybe a year old, or young and I’m not sure if they have symptoms of scaly mites or just regular feet. One (yellow bird in photos) has quite bad scales, he is 4-5 years old. I have read that scales like this are regular in older canaries but the scales look a lot like scaly mites too.. Their feet have been like this for a long time and haven’t gotten better or worse.
I went to the vets a couple months ago and they didn’t think it was nessecary to see the birds only my description. They gave me ivermectin solution to drop on their skin which I did, I treated all birds in the aviary. It confuses me that they said only once, but I only applied it once as they said to. There was no visible difference. I have heard you have to apply the treatment twice to get both the newly hatched and adult mites.
They have a variety of rope, bamboo, different textures angles and sizes of natural wood to perch on. They always have fresh water changed twice daily which they regularly bath in. I clean their aviary twice a day. They get a lot of flying time both inside and outside the aviary. They get artificial and natural light and have a natural sun rise and sun set. They are indoors. They are fed in the morning with Roudybush crumbles and a variety of fresh fruit and vegetables, and at night with a finch seed mix and sometimes more veg.
AFC74EC9-FEF1-43A0-B1A6-85D76327DB41.jpeg
554D0E4F-9335-4760-9120-F817EB104700.jpeg

29805C3D-F7C3-45DB-9D25-9427CD24817D.jpeg
568C6727-A515-4E8C-B645-4E91F25F590C.jpeg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Those feet don’t look bad to me. I think your birds just have old bird feet.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It does look like it could be scaly mites to me. I always repeated the treatment when my finches had that issue, it's been a long time but I believe I treated 3 times over a 10 day period.. That always did the trick.
That's odd that your vet didn't want to actually see your birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts