Scared Galah

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
My mitred conure *loves* safflower seeds (difficult for him to eat) and dried bananas. Sunflower seeds are dropped. Nuts? Dropped. Other dried fruits are hit or miss, and just because he dropped it the first several times doesn't mean he'll drop it the next time around... or visa versa!

My first conure dropped almost *everything* I gave him simply because it came from my hand, but if I placed it in a dish, most of the time he'd go over and investigate, so I do know the frustration there! LOL

Galahs do have tiny beaks (comparatively speaking), so I wonder if something like millet, "mega millet" (if any can be found) or other small seeds might do the trick?

OP
Bluemoonlvr

Bluemoonlvr

Jun 3, 2012
Parrots
Taz - Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Lacey - Goffin's Cockatoo, Pikachu & Roo - Cockatiels
Got Taz to step up! I took him out of his cage and put him on his Java tree with the 'tiels.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXul1hlBOHc&feature=youtu.be]Working with Taz 8/14/13 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbZhGltH-lg&feature=youtu.be]Taz and the 'tiels - YouTube[/ame]

1150594_10201302040426845_344999693_o.jpg

1150490_10201302016146238_1066851487_o.jpg

1150619_10201302127469021_567374834_o.jpg

1119956_10201302133709177_894802463_o.jpg

He mustered enough courage (or maybe curiosity?) to climb the parakeet cage
1116196_10201302126388994_1768117351_o.jpg

Then kept yelling "Come here! Come here!" at the little guys.. haha
1150609_10201302126909007_816619931_o.jpg

He tried his hardest to imitate the parakeets, but it sort of sounded like a drowning cockatiel noise so I think he gave up. Now he's mumbling and every so often you can make out the newest words in his vocabulary "What you doin?" "Hello" and, of course "step up". He also knows "Come here!" and "Baby Boy". (He's so talkative!)

I'm leaving him out of his cage until bed time, hopefully it remains a positive experience. Whenever I get him out, I've been trying to put him somewhere fun so he relates stepping up and coming out with a good thing.

Hoping for as good a day tomorrow!
1147503_10201302125908982_1345536373_o.jpg

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Love it! He does appear calm and curious!!!!

Speaking of the name Taz, saw it as a license plate tonight!!! :)

BeakFace

Banned
Banned
Jan 23, 2013
I have Galah as well. I saw your video and it somewhat reminds me of Murphy. He is the same age. Sometimes he is not as friendly as other times. He is full flighted and pretty sweet. He has his moods and I just go with it. Everything on his terms. Some times he steps right up from inside his cage and other times it looks like what your doing. I scratch his head and go slow and he eventually steps up. I just don't rush it. Murphy is out of his cage several times a day and likes his Java tree. I can put him on his back and he will do crazy funny things when I give him one on one attention. He has two brother's in the same room. A Palm Cockatoo and a Queen of Bavaria, all birds are full flighted.

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
Well, I think you are doing great but I have a couple of comments.

1. No touching of the back of the wings or his back.

2. Don't put your fist in front of his beak.

3. Put your hand sideways, not flat with your palm facing the floor (the position should be similar to the one you use when you are going to shake somebody's hand only there shouldn't be a downward inclination in the fingers, the 'edge' of the hand should be perfectly straight and parallel to the floor).

4. On the first video you asked him to step up about four times, one after the other -way too many and way too close to one another. You ask once and, if he doesn't, don't insist, don't say good or bad boy or anything, just turn around and walk away, don't even stay there. Wait 5 minutes and ask again, if he does it, give him a treat and praise, if he doesn't, walk away and wait ten minutes this time. But you also should not ask him to step up every single time you approach him or he will start resenting it.

Aside from those minor points, he does look relaxed and getting over his fright so there is obviously a great improvement.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Hey there!!!!! Any new updates on Taz??? Been wondering how things have been going between you two!

OP
Bluemoonlvr

Bluemoonlvr

Jun 3, 2012
Parrots
Taz - Rose Breasted Cockatoo, Lacey - Goffin's Cockatoo, Pikachu & Roo - Cockatiels
So much better! I can lift his wings and even scratch under them. he steps up willingly, if not slowly. Still skittish, but much more affectionate.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Glad you have been able to make progress with him! Thank you for the update! :)

Kimmied

Sep 7, 2013
PA
Parrots
I have one umbrella cockatoo. A female 3 years old named Mina.
I know just what Bluemoonlvr is talking about. I have a U2 that is 1 year and 5 months. She was a perfect princess for the first 7-8 months now OMG she is getting more aggressive by the day. I really don't even like to admit it. Today when I got her up it's usually her quiet time she plays with foot toys and eats fruit and snack mix. (Happily she is eating again). It sounded like the exorcist movie where the girl is in the room saying stuff and things are flying around. So I went in and she climbed down off her cage came over and started attacking my feet! I picked her up and she hopped on my shoulder and started hissing and puffing up doing the crest up head bow thing... You just know your gonna get it. I did in the ear before I could get her off. So I get her off leave get my ear taken care of come back in she is still puffed up crest up screaming. She NEVER screams like this in the morning. Throwing toys throwing food. So I tried to clean her cage figuring I'll put her in there with soft music for a little. She planted herself in the doorway and wouldn't let me clean the cage. Tried to crawl on my shoulder again (forget it). This is the worst her behavior has been. Usually it's only bad after she has gotten aggressive with a toy then I knew to stay away till she was done playing and calmed down. Let me say first and foremost I will never rehome her. I wonder what has happened to my baby girl?

LoneStarFulanita

Apr 12, 2020
Reading your initial post sounds almost identical to my female Galah..its been a few years did your bird return to its social self? Im hoping this phase doesnt last too long sigh

Most Reactions