Scared the @#$% out of me!..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
...Beebs is now two years old :eek: Where does the time go??:confused:

He is now an accomplished flier. I'm happy I decided to let him get his adult clothes on,and let him learn/experience what a birdie was born to do.

I remember when I had Wally,the keet. He was never clipped and he was just a little boy when he came home with me and Mom. Boy oh boy could that guy fly! Since he was my first pet bird, I didn't really know what to expect,except what I saw with Gramma's 'keet.
Wally could,and would,ZOOM around the house with precise accuracy,always landing,then hanging upside down from the large mirror hanging on the wall in the living room,and giving heck to the other guy.

So now after having BB for all this time,I'm getting accustomed to his flying ways. He too will just bolt from my shoulder,or chair,fly in circles,down the hall and back,yelling his fool head of while he does this lol.

Of course all doors are closed,terlit lid closed,nothing on the stove cooking etc etc.
Today BB and Amy's Uncle DJ dropped by,and of course BB had to welcome DJ with his wolfie whistles.
We sat down in the living room,and when DJ made a "clunk" noise by dropping his cell phone on one of the book cases,it startled BB,and he took off down the hall into the spare bedroom onto the curtain rod where he proceeded to call for me.
Today is a gorgeous day here and I have the living room windows open for fresh air. ( Don't painic! yes they have screens in and yes they have curtains!)
HOWEVER :eek: one window I didn't draw the curtains together ( k,you can start calling me names now :02:)

Beebers is recall trained (sorta,only when HE wants lol)
So I called for him to come to me,and he was chattering away and I heard him coming up the hallway into the living room..and BANG!!:eek: right into the only window without the curtain closed! THUD he went,to the floor!
He was still chirping/tweeting as he hit the floor..he just kind of shook it off and came RUNNING to me. I looked him over carefully and found that he was fine..I can only imagine,that smacking that window freaked him out too :eek:

So..lesson learned here today is..MAKE SURE ALL CURTAINS ARE CLOSED WHEN HE IS ON THE LOOSE!! It could have been totally different just because of my stupidity :(

Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
A good lesson learned the hard way is truly learned.
Thank goodness Beebs is OK.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
just a thought regarding the windows but have you thought of training BB to understand they're solid? I would sit with Rio looking out the window (people watching) and would tap the window at times (so would he) and he learnt the window is kind of like a big TV. It could be a potential idea for you and BB so you can have all the natural light going and him flying around

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Glad the little stinker was not hurt.

April

Apr 17, 2018
Philly
Parrots
Female eclectus April,male eclectus Buddha(hulk)
Terlit...... haha that made me laugh I’m scared when my phone drops too:red1:

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
Welcome to the ''terrible'' tiel twos! They can go by fast. :( Baby is 8x that now.

It's great that you have ''BB Proofed'' BB's home!

Keets are very agile fliers and so fast, Wally sounded like no exception either! Bet he loved flying around.

A lesson to learn from with BB. But better to learn now than be sorry later! Accidents and mistakes happen. Maybe he can associate something on the curtains/windows/walls that he can't go near and knows that he can't fly towards it. I like having curtains for some of the windows for this reason because they're a soft surface. When Baby flies at times, he'll actually just ''perch'' on the curtains happily and chirp for me to get him. Sometimes he just wants to fly and usually lands on the curtains. When he does..he'll look down and chirp and chirp until I get him..as if to say ''hey I flew..now come get me up here because I can't get down!":rolleyes:

When tiels are flighted they can be easily spooked and just have a ''fight or flight'' response and go flying off randomly. Very good to have those curtains and tiel proof surroundings!

Most Reactions

Latest posts