Scarlet macaw squawking like a baby

saifhussain711

Apr 30, 2022
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
I have scarlet macaw heā€™s almost 3 and when heā€™s out of the cage and Iā€™m with him he squawks like a baby chick squawks for food and Iā€™m just not sure what that means and why heā€™s doing it. It starts of low then kind of gets loud. I even asked the vet but I wasnā€™t really given an answer and it is really frustrating. I hope someone can help me here. Also he quivers and kind of flaps his wings every time he makes that sound.

Attachments

• 67304369305__6F4CE4A4-77B3-40A2-905E-1E94B15F5A06.MOV
    1.9 MB

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
My 7 month old Harlequin Macaw does this too. It scared me at first. But I think it seems to be almost a form of pouting for mine. If his favorite food is gone from the bowl, sometimes when I put him in his cage, if he doesn't want to train but I insist, if he's had enough treats and we're done training but he wants more. Pancho seems to stop if I give him what he wants or divert his attention.
But I've only had my macaw for about 3 months, so I definitely would not take only my opinion because I'm sure there are more on here with much more experience than I have.
Also, I posted a video of mine doing it and got a few answers, but not any real light shed on the behavior.

OP
S

saifhussain711

Apr 30, 2022
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
My 7 month old Harlequin Macaw does this too. It scared me at first. But I think it seems to be almost a form of pouting for mine. If his favorite food is gone from the bowl, sometimes when I put him in his cage, if he doesn't want to train but I insist, if he's had enough treats and we're done training but he wants more. Pancho seems to stop if I give him what he wants or divert his attention.
But I've only had my macaw for about 3 months, so I definitely would not take only my opinion because I'm sure there are more on here with much more experience than I have.
Also, I posted a video of mine doing it and got a few answers, but not any real light shed on the behavior.
Thanks for replying and for giving me all the information. I appreciate it. A few weeks back we took him to the vet and since then heā€™s been doing this more and more. He stopped talking as well and this is all he does now. I took him in because his poop was watery and I wanted to get that checked out and they prescribed him some antibiotics for two weeks but I feel like what really fixed his poop situation was me putting him back on seeds because his watery poop started when I put him on pellets. They also told me his glucose was 800 which is not normal and they talked about putting him on long term medication next time I bring him in. So basically that makes me think that heā€™s diabetic and one of the symptoms is his watery poop(which is not an issue) anymore and he is about 3 years old. Im kind of hesitant to take him back there because I feel like heā€™s been traumatized and thatā€™s why Iā€™m facing all these problems now.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Thanks for replying and for giving me all the information. I appreciate it. A few weeks back we took him to the vet and since then heā€™s been doing this more and more. He stopped talking as well and this is all he does now. I took him in because his poop was watery and I wanted to get that checked out and they prescribed him some antibiotics for two weeks but I feel like what really fixed his poop situation was me putting him back on seeds because his watery poop started when I put him on pellets. They also told me his glucose was 800 which is not normal and they talked about putting him on long term medication next time I bring him in. So basically that makes me think that heā€™s diabetic and one of the symptoms is his watery poop(which is not an issue) anymore and he is about 3 years old. Im kind of hesitant to take him back there because I feel like heā€™s been traumatized and thatā€™s why Iā€™m facing all these problems now.
Oh my. I sure hope your feathered friend gets better! I think the behavior would definitely be much more concerning, considering everything else. I hope someone else on here can offer more help!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think youā€™d better take him back somewhere. That blood sugar is very high.

Most Reactions